Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the free cleaning worth the risk?

I just received my $17.96 Pentax extended warranty card in the mail. I see that I am entitled to one free cleaning during the warranty period. I'm wondering if the benefits of a free cleaning at Precision Camera (I assume that's who does it) is worth the risk of mailing the camera and having a technician fumble around with my camera. My K-70 is new so I won't need to do this for a while. Assuming my camera is well cared for, kept clean, and is trouble free, would you recommend sending or not sending the camera for the cleaning?

03-10-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the camera is very clean and well cared for then i would not worry about the cleaning.
03-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used it when the warranty was about to expire both for my K-5 and my K-3
03-10-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say "My K-70 is new so I won't need to do this for a while". Doesn't really work like that. Every time you change a lens there's a risk, albeit you can mitigate that risk. So it rather depends on where and how often you change lenses. I'd say don't worry about it and learn how to clean the sensor, then you'll be bothered about the risks of sending in for a clean.

03-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
Assuming my camera is well cared for, kept clean, and is trouble free, would you recommend sending or not sending the camera for the cleaning?
The cleaning is a good idea IF the camera has had hard usage in dusty or wet environments with a lot of lens, battery, and memory card swapping. Youʻd see dust in your viewfinder, stubborn specks not coming off the sensor, a mirror coated with specks, or a sticky battery compartment or memory card slot.

Otherwise, no need for the cleaning. Think of what you paid for as peace of mind or insurance. I donʻt know the extent of what is done for the free cleaning, but I would think if they found the need to actually open up the camera and thus potentially compromise the gasket seals, that may be more than the routine free cleaning.
03-10-2018, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #6

Is it worth the risk getting a cleaning and having some dental hygienist "fumble around" in your mouth?
03-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I consider this is a good thing that Pentax/Ricoh offer the free cleaning service as part of the camera warranty, although I am not sure if that applies to other cameras besides DSLR. And I only found that out when I have taken my k10D camera in for repairing a broken mirror assembly (still under warranty) some years ago. I later learned that most Pentax users send their camera in for cleaning before the warranty expires. But then at that time, the Pentax repair shop was still under Pentax/Ricoh and not through 3rd party camera repair companies.

08-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikecnorthwest Quote
I just received my $17.96 Pentax extended warranty card in the mail. I see that I am entitled to one free cleaning during the warranty period. I'm wondering if the benefits of a free cleaning at Precision Camera (I assume that's who does it) is worth the risk of mailing the camera and having a technician fumble around with my camera. My K-70 is new so I won't need to do this for a while. Assuming my camera is well cared for, kept clean, and is trouble free, would you recommend sending or not sending the camera for the cleaning?
Hi Mike,

Where/how did you get an extended warranty? Also, looking through my warranty information for the K1 Mark II, it doesn't mention anything about a complementary cleaning (unless I'm oblivious and missed it).

Thanks,
James
08-22-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can buy the extended warranty from B&H or Adorama within 30 days of the purchase of your camera. The exact warranty will depend on which camera you have.
08-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking for just myself; unless my camera had problems that needed fixing; I would not send my camera in for just cleaning. A risk, during mailing, back & forth; and also a small risk at Precision. So for me, no; a free cleaning by itself is not worth sending it in.
08-24-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Speaking for just myself; unless my camera had problems that needed fixing;
You and me both... I still run with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
08-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this with the extended warranty? I got the 3 year warranty and am thinking about sending my K-1 for an overall checkup.
09-02-2018, 04:42 AM   #13

my k3 is coming up on it's 3 year mark also. it's working well but i'm thinking a cleaning couldn't hurt. does anyone know if they change any of the menu settings when they do a cla? i did a focus fine-tuning and just want to know what i'm getting into before i send it.