Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax AF360FGZ not zooming....

I have a used Pentax AF350fgz I got some time ago used. I never used it much, so never noticed it wasn't zooming.

When I turn it on, it tries to zoom, seems to get stuck, and then beeps. When I push the button that tries to zoom the head it beeps and just pauses.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this, it does work some time, but seems to get stuck.

03-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fresh batteries ?

Also make sure the wide-angle panel is securely in the retract position.
03-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I got a new used AF540FGZ and that one was working fine. I never noticed the other one wasn't working until i had one to compare it to. The wide angle screen is tucked in and not deployed.
I can tell its the zoom feature, because when I go from auto zoom to manual, the lens in the zoom only moves so far. Sometime it switches, and sometimes it doesn't.

I guess I could just throw it out, but would like to try and fix it if I can....
03-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If i remember correctly from opening mine years ago there is a spiral shaft that can come out of place. It wasn't too hard to fit it back in the groove correctly. I am pretty sure that was in the 360fgz it is possible i am thinking of something else. I did tear a cord on one sb28 taking it apart about the same time.

03-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
I guess I could just throw it out, but would like to try and fix it if I can....
Hi mapguy, if you do decide to try and repair the flash unit yourself, please be very careful, as the power stored in the capacitor can do harm.
03-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi mapguy, if you do decide to try and repair the flash unit yourself, please be very careful, as the power stored in the capacitor can do harm.
YES THIS!!!! I managed a 300 volt zap to the fingers the other day.... Not a pleasant experience. There will be power wires going to the circuit board that controls the strobe. These wires will be live with 300 or so volts due to the capacitor not being fully discharged.

My recommendation first is don't mess with it. If, however, you are like me and choose to forge ahead consequences be damned, discharge the capacitor by soldering two leads on the contacts of a normal 120-220V light bulb and touch the bare ends of the lead to the two wires coming from inside the flash body and attaching the to the strobe circuit board. The bulb will light brightly then go out. Do this several times over the course of a day or two to ensure the capacitor is fully discharged. DO NOT PUT BATTERIES BACK IN THE FLASH UNTIL YOU ARE DONE FIXING IT.

That should make a safe flash for you. I will see if i have some pics lieing around of my AF 540 fgz I took apart. It may be similar and useful enough for you to see what you need to look for and repair.

Last edited by W.j.christy; 03-13-2018 at 06:38 AM.
03-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
Forum Member

First check your batteries...replace with a fresh fully charged set.
03-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok so I found my pics of the af 540 FGZ flash head. I have circled the zoom motor assembly (which is black unfortunately....) but you can look close and see the screw drive right of center and the shiny rails the strobe rides on on both sides. Check to make sure all these items are straight and not binding. And again, watch out for the wires that connect to the strobe, and the wires (black and red) that go from inside the body of the flash to the strobe circuit board.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5X  Photo