Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
You might look in a Model Railroader magazine (or online search) for a modeling material that sets hard. This might be easier to shape than Bondo.

On there hand, there is really nothing bad about a war wound. Tells the world that your camera is a veteran.
Most of those compounds are acrylic resin.

04-13-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
* Slang for automotive body filler used for dent repair.
Bondo® is actually a brand name/trade-mark registered to 3M. Like Kleenex® (Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc.) it has become a generic trade-mark from common usage towards similar products
04-13-2018, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Bondo® is actually a brand name registered to 3M. Like Kleenex® (Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc.) it has become a generic trade-mark from common usage towards similar products
However, unlike Bondo, Kleenex would not be a suitable repair option here.

Just sayin'...
04-13-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking at the damage, it looks to me like one of those things that will make matters worse if a repair is attempted. I would have thought that it would always be a weakness, and the repair, if sanding is involved could result in dirt entering the card slots.

If I were to attempt a repair, I would try Milliput(UK product) which is a resin modelling putty and which is available in black. I have successfully repaired a car door mirror housing with it, and in white it can be used to fill indentations in the enamel on steel baths - so it's quite strong and it adheres well. If I didn't feel comfortable with doing this I would simply leave it alone. As others have said, a "war wound" can be lived with - many moons ago my then new MX suffered a "ding" on the pentaprism housing - it never affected how it worked, and I've simply left it alone.

Colin

04-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Is the part that was damaged plastic or magnesium alloy? I cannot tell from the picture. If the part that got damaged was alloy it may be hard to glue back on even if you find the missing piece than plastic. I would agree with those who suggested don't try to fix it, especially if the camera still works OK. If you are going out in inclement weather conditions you could always tape over the cracked area with electrical tape for a temporary seal.
EDIT: I looked at my K-3 and it looks like a crack in the magnesium alloy part. To me I would be concerned about making things worse if you try to fix it. I would really be concerned about a fix causing the memory card door not being able to close properly
Thanks for that. I can't really tell what it is but I was assuming plastic. In any case, that is good advice. Fixing might make the problem worse esp as everything is working fine at this stage.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 08:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Looking at the damage, it looks to me like one of those things that will make matters worse if a repair is attempted. I would have thought that it would always be a weakness, and the repair, if sanding is involved could result in dirt entering the card slots.

If I were to attempt a repair, I would try Milliput(UK product) which is a resin modelling putty and which is available in black. I have successfully repaired a car door mirror housing with it, and in white it can be used to fill indentations in the enamel on steel baths - so it's quite strong and it adheres well. If I didn't feel comfortable with doing this I would simply leave it alone. As others have said, a "war wound" can be lived with - many moons ago my then new MX suffered a "ding" on the pentaprism housing - it never affected how it worked, and I've simply left it alone.

Colin
Good advice Colin.

Wish I could call it a 'war wound'. More like a moment of stupidity!
04-14-2018, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What I have done in the past is use JB weld
Epoxy Putty Sticks | J-B Weld
Using the putty sticks I fashion a piece roughly the size you need and let it harden.

Then fine tune it by filing down the replacement piece to fit the part it is replacing, then with JB weld glue that piece into place.
09-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eventually what did u do

09-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uttam.hathi Quote
eventually what did u do
I decided to live with it after reading all the replies. A repair may make it worse and the damage is only cosmetic. It is right on the edge so it does not affect the WR seal over the SD cad compartment and the door still seals properly.