Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Damage to Pentax K-3 body

Unfortunately I dropped my camera bag with my Pentax K-3 inside. The camera looks undamaged and everything works fine although I had to send my 55-300 PLM lens in for repair.

However, a small piece broke away from the body just near the SD card slots (as in the photos).

I can't find the piece to glue back in so just wondering if there is any way I can fix this?

Thank you!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by Theov39; 04-13-2018 at 03:06 AM.
04-13-2018, 03:21 AM   #2

Does it matter? Looks like the door still closes.
04-13-2018, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Unfortunately I dropped my camera bag with my Pentax K-3 inside. The camera looks undamaged and everything works fine although I had to send my 55-300 PLM lens in for repair.

However, a small piece broke away from the body just near the SD card slots (as in the photos).

I can't find the piece to glue back in so just wondering if there is any way I can fix this?

Thank you!
Sorry this happened to you.

Clearly if you can't find the missing piece that broke off, you're not going to be able to fully repair it cosmetically. Even with the missing piece, it's unlikely you could achieve an invisible repair.

If you simply want to fill in the crack and build up that area to help maintain WR which might be compromised, you could use a moldable silicone filler like Sugru.
04-13-2018, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too am sorry

does the door still seal tight?

if so, and your intent is to use the camera body as opposed to selling it:

count it as "experience ", treat it as a way to id your camera body ( without resorting to the serial number )

and check your camera bag, perhaps you need to see if your equipment was not properly protected or you need to do something to improve the bag's protection of its contents.

04-13-2018, 03:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dMwBennn Quote
From a technical viewpoint, probably not as it appears that the seal over the SD card slot is unaffected BUT I don't like the way it looks and would prefer to fix it if possible.
04-13-2018, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Epoxy putty may also work, but something that requires a bit of practice.
04-13-2018, 04:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I too am sorry

does the door still seal tight?

if so, and your intent is to use the camera body as opposed to selling it:

count it as "experience ", treat it as a way to id your camera body ( without resorting to the serial number )

and check your camera bag, perhaps you need to see if your equipment was not properly protected or you need to do something to improve the bag's protection of its contents.
Yes, the seal still appears to be fine and in fact there is not one other mark on the camera and everything appears to be working fine with all subsequent shots in focus.

The bag actually fell from the car roof to the car park ground! I just put it there for one minute and drive off forgetting about i! Talk about getting old.....

The bag has minimal padding as I prefer that style. I was never a fan of Lowepro type bags that are thickly padded but I will use that type of bag from now on.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 04:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Thank you. I will look into that. They sell a brand here called "Knead It" that might do the trick.

04-13-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

The bag actually fell from the car roof to the car park ground! I just put it there for one minute and drive off forgetting about i! Talk about getting old.....

The bag has minimal padding as I prefer that style. I was never a fan of Lowepro type bags that are thickly padded but I will use that type of bag from now on. . . .

my equipment in lowepro back packs have survived without damage when they have fallen as I opened the back door of the SUV

not as far as your drop and not as much velocity

you might consider adding a wrapping of cloth or bubble wrap on your equipment if you don't want to go to a more padded back pack

a small towel might do the trick and it could then serve other purposes as well ??
04-13-2018, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dMwBennn Quote
From a technical viewpoint, probably not as it appears that the seal over the SD card slot is unaffected BUT I don't like the way it looks and would prefer to fix it if possible.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Honestly, I think any repair is going to look like a repair, and you could end up making it worse. Epoxy is versatile as it can be sanded into shape precisely once it has fully cured - but, it's not going to be an easy job, and you'd need to sand it level to the surrounding material which would probably remove paint in those areas, leaving an even more to touch up with paint (which won't exactly match the finish on the rest of the camera). Plus, the risk of getting dust from the resin inside the memory card slots would be quite high.

Personally, I would just live with it. It's always disappointing when you mark or damage a piece of equipment, but the initial disappointment fades in time - especially if you think of the camera merely as a tool rather than a valued possession; and that's all it is, really. Professional photographers don't worry about the cosmetics of their cameras for that very reason.
04-13-2018, 06:50 AM - 2 Likes   #10

I think there's a good chance you'd only make it look worse with any sort of 'fix'.

Just let the camera wear it with pride. Gear is meant to be used.

You should see the state of my K-3, you could almost make a new one with the chunks I've knocked out of it over the years.
04-13-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #11

Try some "Blue Stuff " its a modelling compound that can be moulded and sets hard, then paint it.

---------- Post added 04-13-18 at 02:03 PM ----------

Or it might be called "Green Stuff"
04-13-2018, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might stop by an upholsterer or auto repair shop. Not sure if you use the same term but folks that repair furniture or car seats. Or just a basic auto collision repair shop. Often they work on different vinyl materials. They might be able to build up a base of plastic and then texture it to roughly match.

I'm thinking of something like this:COMPLETE Dash & Plastic Repair Kit - Superior Restoration Products Obviously too expensive to buy the kit yourself but if a shop already has such a kit or similar they might be able to do the work quite seamlessly. But no idea of the cost. Might be $100s or a cup of coffee if you find someone that just wants an interesting project.
04-13-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Bondo"*

As noted above, anything other than replacement amounts to addressing the empty space with some sort of filler capable of bonding to the magnesium. Work it in, let it cure, sand flush, and paint to suit.

Steve

* Slang for automotive body filler used for dent repair.
04-13-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might look in a Model Railroader magazine (or online search) for a modeling material that sets hard. This might be easier to shape than Bondo.

On there hand, there is really nothing bad about a war wound. Tells the world that your camera is a veteran.
04-13-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Is the part that was damaged plastic or magnesium alloy? I cannot tell from the picture. If the part that got damaged was alloy it may be hard to glue back on even if you find the missing piece than plastic. I would agree with those who suggested don't try to fix it, especially if the camera still works OK. If you are going out in inclement weather conditions you could always tape over the cracked area with electrical tape for a temporary seal.
EDIT: I looked at my K-3 and it looks like a crack in the magnesium alloy part. To me I would be concerned about making things worse if you try to fix it. I would really be concerned about a fix causing the memory card door not being able to close properly

Last edited by jddwoods; 04-13-2018 at 02:53 PM.