Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What to Glue the Distance Window of Tamron Adaptall-2 Lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 17mm F3.5 which the distance scale window (a glued piece of plastic) had broken off. I wounder what glue can safely glue it back? I have researched into cyanoacrylates aka superglue. I wounder are they safe for this purpose? It seems that it works by dissolving the material in acetone and when being applied, the acetone evaporates and the material forms a strong material bounding the surfaces together. I am mostly worried about acetone evaporating and settling on lens elements.

Sincerely

04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using this stuff to weld polycarbonate (perpsex type stuff) sheet and other things, like a router bit box made of clear plastic simliar in kind to what you want to glue:

Model X Pro 50ml PLASTIC WELD Cement Glue Styrene ABS Perspex Acrylic | eBay

It works great! Whether it will work on the plastic used for the tamron lens window will depend on what type of plastic it is precisely, but in general terms acrylic like plastic is exactly what this is for.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 04-15-2018 at 02:04 PM.
04-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

From the sample in the lens review database I'd guess it was just glued on in the first place.

I wouldn't use superglue as it will out gas and fog up the window permanently.

Acetone will only work on ABS, PLA, PCV and like plastics. It's so thin it is difficult to get it to go where you want without spreading. The acetone might attack the cement between lenses in groups.

Maybe a polyurethane glue like clear Gorilla Glue.
04-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
From the sample in the lens review database I'd guess it was just glued on in the first place.

I wouldn't use superglue as it will out gas and fog up the window permanently.

Acetone will only work on ABS, PLA, PCV and like plastics. It's so thin it is difficult to get it to go where you want without spreading. The acetone might attack the cement between lenses in groups.

Maybe a polyurethane glue like clear Gorilla Glue.
I used Gorilla Glue a year ago and it broke off again. So I have decided to try something else.

Just took the chance of using minute amount of superglue and it worked like a charm. The windows was only slightly fogged, but completely usable. The glue also feels stronger than Gorilla Glue.

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 12:27 PM ----------

P.S. I asked a friend of mine who is a chemistry major and he said that once the superglue cures, nothing will evaporate because the product is a polymer similar to most other plastic.

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 12:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I've been using this stuff to weld polycarbonate (perpsex type stuff) sheet and other things, like a router bit box made of clear plastic simiar in kind to what you wnat to glue:

Model X Pro 50ml PLASTIC WELD Cement Glue Styrene ABS Perspex Acrylic | eBay

It works great! Whether it will work on the plastic used for the tamron lens window will depend on what type of plastic it is precisely, but in general terms acrylic like plastic is exactly what this is for.
This one seems to be similar to my green bottle Tamya plastic cement, which AFAIK is mostly acetone. I actually use the fluid to clean up any excess superglue residue, with a Q-tip.