Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Sun camera might, give them a ring and see. ( But I thought you sold your silver K-1 and the black K-1 and gotten a K-1 ii you are always in constant flux)
Yes, always trying something to see how it works. The silver was a second K-1. I loved looking at it and handling it but it just seemed too much of luxury when there were lenses I still wanted to try out.

12-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Called today. Guess what? you'd never guess in a million years. Another delay till January. The lady said there are some cameras already there waiting but doesn't know how many, nor does she know how many upgrades have been signed up for. When the queue starts moving I think it'll move right into March. Wonder how Sun cameras is doing.
Called on Thursday after seeing this...
They sounded surprised that I was asking but then, after a minute on hold, said, we have the parts, sure, send it on.
Thursday afternoon I got the email release form to sign.
I'm not sure what the difference was, or if they got some (but not all) of the parts they had ordered...

Monday it was mailed... so we'll see.
But yes, K-01 will be this year's Christmas camera
No worries, it's done it before...

-Eric
12-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This post may turn into quite the firestorm, but if you sent Precision your K-1 with a battery grip, Peak Design tabs on the camera+grip, body cap, eye hood, battery in camera + grip, and flash insert...

... it got sent to me instead. It was boxed up with my paperwork... all forms indicating a shipping slip of an original K-1 sent in for shutter repair, no grip, no lens cap, no battery, no eye hood, no nothing and everything disassembled. Which in no way looks like a beautiful and pristine K-1ii upgrade, with the works on it too.

I've been on the phone with Precision today and it's getting worked out ASAP.

I'm a bit worked up because it's too late for me to get a rental for tasks that I need, which I would have had mine back for, but I assume you'd feel even worse that yours has been on such a hilariously wrong journey.

More ammo against Precision. I can't even imagine mistaking one camera for the other. I can't imagine anyone looking at the packaging slip for either one of those, and thinking the other belongs in that box.

---------- Post added 12-21-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

Also if you want a super secret PentaxForums message hidden in the packaging or in your camera, let me know in the next hour orso.
12-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
This post may turn into quite the firestorm, but if you sent Precision your K-1 with a battery grip, Peak Design tabs on the camera+grip, body cap, eye hood, battery in camera + grip, and flash insert...

... it got sent to me instead. It was boxed up with my paperwork... all forms indicating a shipping slip of an original K-1 sent in for shutter repair, no grip, no lens cap, no battery, no eye hood, no nothing and everything disassembled. Which in no way looks like a beautiful and pristine K-1ii upgrade, with the works on it too.

I've been on the phone with Precision today and it's getting worked out ASAP.

I'm a bit worked up because it's too late for me to get a rental for tasks that I need, which I would have had mine back for, but I assume you'd feel even worse that yours has been on such a hilariously wrong journey.

More ammo against Precision. I can't even imagine mistaking one camera for the other. I can't imagine anyone looking at the packaging slip for either one of those, and thinking the other belongs in that box.

---------- Post added 12-21-18 at 11:22 AM ----------

Also if you want a super secret PentaxForums message hidden in the packaging or in your camera, let me know in the next hour orso.
Oops. Not the sort of 'oops" you want.

12-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Oops. Not the sort of 'oops" you want.
Though better sent to someone willing to send it back than someone who says ‘free camera!’ and keeps it...

But it does look like someone at Precision had a little too much eggnog before Christmas...

-Eric
12-24-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Though better sent to someone willing to send it back than someone who says ‘free camera!’ and keeps it..
I definitely started messing with Precision about this on Friday.

I called them as soon as I had a gap in my morning, and they said they'd get me a shipping label to send it back right away. They didn't want to send my camera back until I had that one in their hands already. Got them to concede that they'd send mine as soon as they had confirmation that the package had been received by the shipper.

By 3pm eastern, still didn't have a label, and obviously I wouldn't get my camera overnighted for Saturday delivery. Called them to bug them about it... unsatisfied by their progress, I asked "So what if I just waited to return it? What if I took my flight on Monday, brought this other person's camera along, and returned it when I get home on Jan 2nd? With about +15,000 new shutter actuations on top of the existing 4,700?" To which they were 'well, um, we'll send you yours back when we get this other one'. Obviously it was packed up already and I wasn't going to do that.

They are putting extremely low effort into making this right by the original owner and by me. They sent the shipping label at 4:45pm right before they closed for the day. Obviously ensuring they wouldn't get my junk taken care of... but they'd still get theirs.

When I've made a mistake as an agent of a business, it's been an effort-overload to make things right. Obviously I expect too much. Either this doesn't matter at all to them, or mistakes like this are actually the status-quo and it's nothing unusual to send $2,200 of someone else's equipment to a 3rd person.

In the meantime I've had to re-negotiate contracts, re-schedule commitments, move flights, change travel plans massively, and wring my hands about when I will realistically have my camera. I was leaning very heavily on their web status saying it would be here the 20th... if I had known this I would have planned a rental to arrive on the 21st.
01-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #187
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could not find this posted elsewhere on the forum, but if not, this is the open surgical technique detailed step-by-step for the Mark II upgrade:

The Pentax K-1 upgrade service: detailed*description*of the different steps with pictures - Pentax Rumors

01-21-2019, 06:05 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just got a message from Sun camera that they have the parts in stock. I should send my camera.

Problem is, I'm currently testing lenses. They'll have to wait a few weeks...
01-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #189

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I just got a message from Sun camera that they have the parts in stock. I should send my camera.

Problem is, I'm currently testing lenses. They'll have to wait a few weeks...
Just hope they still have parts in a few weeks
01-23-2019, 05:51 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just hope they still have parts in a few weeks
Mine is set aside, so I should be fine.
01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #191
Pentaxian

I registered for the upgrade in September last year. The service centre responsible for the upgrade (Foto-Maerz in Hamburg, Germany) said back then, that they expect upgrade kits from the manufacturer in November.

I waited until mid November, didn't heard from them, so I asked them what's up. They said the parts should arrive in the beginning of 2019. Well, a pity that I could not have it done before Christmas, but what can one do. I waited.

Reaching mid-January with no info from their side, so I asked them again. They said they don't expect the upgrade kits to arrive before February.

I'm honestly tired of this.
02-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
As you may know the UK service agent who were carrying out the upgrade has gone into administration leaving UK owners with no way forward. I was in the queue waiting for parts to become available before sending in my camera. Once I discovered that Johnson Photopia had gone bust I tried to get some info from the Ricoh Pentax UK online query with no luck at all. It felt like a badly trained AI bot that could only keep repeating "contact the administrators", a complete waste of time. No indication of how they will handle service in the UK or perhaps direct us to other European service centres was offered. Not even the usual platitudes saying "we are working on a solution so watch this space", the last reply was "we know nothing". Poor show, as we understated Brits would say. Apologies for venting.
Follow-up:

I eventually discovered via web trawling that there is a new agent in the UK -

John Pye Technical
39-40 MarchingtonIndustrial Estate
Stubby Lane
Uttoxeter
ST14 8LP

The man to talk to is -

Tim Kessel
John Pye Technical
01283 829053
timothy.kessel@johnpye.co.uk

I got in contact a week ago and they had one kit of parts left in stock so sent in my K-1 for upgrading. They were able to honour the original price, have completed the work in a week and I should get my camera back on Monday.

02-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick update for those of us in the U.S. still waiting........... I called Precision again on Monday to see if they had any parts. I spoke with a woman, Barbara, who I hadn't spoken with before. When I explained why i was calling, I got the impression that she didn't know what i was talking about with regards to the upgrade i had been waiting for since September. She took my info and then called back a few hours later saying that they had the parts, and that i could send my camera in. I wasn't able to ship it to them until yesterday (Thursday). I am also in CT, so it was delivered to them today.

I called today to change the credit card which would pay for the service. The woman I spoke with said that if the camera came today, it wouldn't be logged in and tagged until Monday, after which time I would have to call back with my updated CC info. I asked her to confirm that they did in fact have parts in stock to do my upgrade and she told me that if I was told to send the camera in, then they must have parts.

Fingers crossed that I when I call Tuesday or so that my camera is on the bench getting the upgrade.......I will post an update when I have one.

George
02-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got an email today from Precision saying they had 50 kits in, and wanted to coordinate with me for sending mine in if I still wanted to do the upgrade. I completed my web form for the upgrade on 9/19/18. Looks like things are rolling again.
02-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I called Precision today and they confirmed they received my K-1 last Friday, but it doesn't appear that they have tagged it, and began the process yet. Someone is supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know if in fact they did get parts. I didn't get an email, and have to assume that's because they have my camera..................