Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
OK, thanks.

I would like to see those photos, but don't know where they are located. Might you be able to provide a link to these violet flower photos?

Thanks
Here is the PF comparison page.

05-30-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #17
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
is it true, that if you push underexposed pictures, the shadows will get a more magenta look than with the K1? That would be no good news for the Dynamic Range with the K1II.
05-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

That's a good question - I won't take that video as a proof of anything, but it's worth checking.
06-02-2018, 01:37 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precision notice 1 June - Upgrades exceed allotment of boards.

NOTICE of Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service - June 01, 2018:

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest of the Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service.

Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming response to the K-1 Upgrade service we have already exceeded our initial allotment. We are scheduled to receive our next allotment on June 25, 2018. Therefore, in order to comply with the estimated 7-10 business day turnaround time, we ask that you do not send in your cameras at this time. Please continue to fill in the upgrade request form and await further communication from Precision Camera before you ship any product. Please Note: All Upgrade requests will be handled in the order they are received.

We thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Copied from Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair.

Sounds like Pentax has a good idea letting us upgrade rather than buying a new camera.
RONC

06-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Because it's digital, and there is processing of some sort involved, how it gets processed could affect how it comes out.
Generally image-sensors don't actually do a photo-site to pixel 1:1 mapping. There are multiple "colours" of photo-sites, and an interpolation algorithm involved in determining what "colour" any given pixel should be.

Most sensors have an arrangement along these lines:

GREEN RED
BLUE GREEN

and the colour of each pixel in the "raw" image is determined by averaging the input from the neighboring photo sites of the other colours.
Adjusting that algorithm could make a big difference in how something like a lens flare, where there is the potential for massive differences in the intensity of light hitting adjacent photo-sites is interpreted.
The differences between say, an algorithm that "chooses" to exaggerate the differences to make the image look "sharper", vs. an algorithm that is designed to "smooth" the transitions, vs. an algorithm that changes it's behaviour depending on how bright pixels are vs. their surrounding ones, or what colour the light has averaged out to etc.., and whether the scales used in the algorithm are linear or algorithmic etc.. could all, at least in theory, make a HUGE difference in the appearance of bokeh, every bit as much as the differences between various types of film will. Kodak Portra will have much smoother bokeh than Kodak T-Max, due to the nature of the underlying emulsion, and the chemicals used, chemistry temperature, chemical dilution, and developing timecan results in significantly different looks with all other things being identical.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Bokeh is a property of the lens, not the body.

Let's not 'put mayo' on the good news of this upgrade.
06-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
could all, at least in theory, make a HUGE difference in the appearance of bokeh, every bit as much as the differences between various types of film will. Kodak Portra will have much smoother bokeh than Kodak T-Max, due to the nature of the underlying emulsion, and the chemicals used, chemistry temperature, chemical dilution, and developing timecan results in significantly different looks with all other things being identical.
I can tell you, Heebie, if I use my K-mount or M42 lenses on my Pentax or my Sony, the bokeh is the same. Weird highlights or a creamy blur with one is the same with the other.

06-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
Forum Member

The overall characteristics that come from the lens will be the same.. basically the shapes. How the shading and especially the edges appear could be significantly different.
Pentax and SONY if they are recent, will be using very similar image-sensors, so it's mainly the processing AFTER the image sensor that would be pretty different. I'd be curious to see a shot with a lot of bokeh taken with the same lens on both those cameras, with all other settings being identical... and zoom in real close to see how different they look.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I can tell you, Heebie, if I use my K-mount or M42 lenses on my Pentax or my Sony, the bokeh is the same. Weird highlights or a creamy blur with one is the same with the other.

06-02-2018, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
NOTICE of Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service - June 01, 2018:

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest of the Pentax K-1 Upgrade Service.

Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming response to the K-1 Upgrade service we have already exceeded our initial allotment. We are scheduled to receive our next allotment on June 25, 2018. Therefore, in order to comply with the estimated 7-10 business day turnaround time, we ask that you do not send in your cameras at this time. Please continue to fill in the upgrade request form and await further communication from Precision Camera before you ship any product. Please Note: All Upgrade requests will be handled in the order they are received.

We thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Copied from Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair.

Sounds like Pentax has a good idea letting us upgrade rather than buying a new camera.
RONC
I must have sent my K-1 in just in time. I sent mine the Wednesday before Memorial Day Weekend. I received it back from Precision on Friday. It was about a one week turnaround considering the holiday weekend. I also live relatively close to Precision so the camera was shipped basically over night both ways which certainly factors into the process. Precision paid for overnight deliver.

They do send a CD with the camera containing Digital Camera Utility. I haven't actually checked the disk in this day and age I have to hook up another device to do so.

Sorry busy weekend so haven't had a real chance to use the upgraded camera.

And no you don't get the SR badge back. They do include a little note from Shinobu Takahashi thanking you for your continued patronage. Precision Camera slipped in a logo post-it pad. :^)
06-04-2018, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Johnsons Photopia UK - my experience

Welcome to Johnsons Photopia

I wanted fast turn-round. I live about an hour and a quarter away.So I telephoned them (Yvonne) beforehand and arranged to deliver personally and pick-up personally.

I delivered my K-1 to them on Tuesday 29 May.
I got a telephone call on Friday 1 June saying it was ready.
I picked up my K-1ii personally on Monday 4 June.
I paid by debit card on pick-up.

They supplied the K-1ii, the (paper) operating manual for the K-1ii, and the disc with Digital Camera Utility 5 on it.
It was supplied with firmware 1.02 (the latest) on it.
(The top/front panel of the camera still says K-1. The "SR" badge has been replaced by a "ii" badge).

I had trouble finding their building.
My SatNav got me close, but their (distinctive white) building is called "jpdistribution" and "jpservice solutions", their two divisions.
I posted a photo of the building to DPReview:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61201978

Everything on the camera was reset. It is like starting with a new camera.
I've taken some test shots and imported them into Lightroom.
But, so far so good!
06-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff Ince Quote
I dropped my K-1 into CR Kennedy, VIC Australia Monday morning and collected the upgraded Mark II Thursday - the first in Australia upgraded. I went out shooting on the week-end and pleasantly surprised with what I tried:
- Pixel shift much faster than previous, but I'm not able to confirm improved detail
- Boket and colour excellent
- Dynamic range improved
I'm pleased with the service turn-around and the outcome of images. Sample attached.
A real Pentax painting.
06-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
Theoverallcharacteristics that come from the lens will be the same.. basically the shapes. How the shading and especially the edges appear could be significantly different.
Pentax and SONY if they are recent, will be using very similar image-sensors, so it's mainly the processing AFTER the image sensor that would be pretty different. I'd be curious to see a shot with a lot of bokeh taken with the same lens on both those cameras, with all other settings being identical... and zoom in real close to see how different they look.
I don't think there will be any difference that does not apply to the whole picture as a result of postprocessing. That is, the bokeh of a black and white conversion will be black and white!

I am however available for hire to do your experiment, Heebie ... hourly rate, I will take dollars, euros or bitcoins.
06-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just received a phone call from CR Kennedy in Adelaide informing me that my K-1 had arrived back from the conversion in Melbourne. Pretty quick turnaround....

BUT

....I then got another call saying that they wanted it back in Melbourne, as Ricoh had added another step to the conversion. Has anyone heard about this, or are they just covering their arses because they realised someone missed a step?

I'll do my best to get to the bottom of it; there will be a lot of recalls if they're telling the truth.
06-05-2018, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I just received a phone call from CR Kennedy in Adelaide informing me that my K-1 had arrived back from the conversion in Melbourne. Pretty quick turnaround....

BUT

....I then got another call saying that they wanted it back in Melbourne, as Ricoh had added another step to the conversion. Has anyone heard about this, or are they just covering their arses because they realised someone missed a step?

I'll do my best to get to the bottom of it; there will be a lot of recalls if they're telling the truth.
Apparently they are now spraying them with Lavender and Rose oil to make them even sweeter
06-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm if the shutter count is reset by the upgrade? Thanks.
06-05-2018, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Can anyone confirm if the shutter count is reset by the upgrade? Thanks.
I've just checked the shutter count on my K-1ii, upgraded from a K-1: 831

I've taken tens of thousands of photos with it over more than two years!