Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I've just checked the shutter count on my K-1ii, upgraded from a K-1: 831

I've taken tens of thousands of photos with it over more than two years!
Since this isn't anywhere close to 0, it makes me think it didn't get reset, and you've rolled over e.g. your 831 past your last photo at 9999. That's been my experience anyway.

06-05-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Since this isn't anywhere close to 0, it makes me think it didn't get reset, and you've rolled over e.g. your 831 past your last photo at 9999. That's been my experience anyway.
I've taken several hundred test shots since I got the upgraded camera back. 831 is probably about right.

But I used the PentaxForums shutter count tool, not (say) file names, to find the EXIF data:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/check-shutter-count-exif.html
06-06-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've just checked the shutter count on my K-1ii, upgraded from a K-1: 831

I've taken tens of thousands of photos with it over more than two years!
Thanks! so buyers beware where the "II" sticker is located!
06-06-2018, 04:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
For comparison, I've just used the same Pentax Forums service to check the shutter count in my K-3ii: 43,293

The count doesn't roll-over, except for special cases such as the K-1 to K-1ii upgrade.

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

06-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #35

For comparison, I've just used the same Pentax Forums service to check the shutter count in my K-3ii: 43,293

The count doesn't roll-over, except for special cases such as the K-1 to K-1ii upgrade.

The shutter isn't reseted, what happens is that the main board is replaced and that's where the previous count was saved so.. yes if you upgrade your K1 you'll have a board that thinks the camera has never been used (but it actually has).

06-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PabloFP Quote
The shutter isn't reseted, what happens is that the main board is replaced and that's where the previous count was saved so.. yes if you upgrade your K1 you'll have a board that thinks the camera has never been used (but it actually has).
Yes.

But what I find interesting is that the "Manufacture Date" hasn't been reset.
It says: 2016:03:21
06-06-2018, 04:59 AM   #37

Well, if the manufacture date was changed (they wrote the old date in the new board), they should write your actual shutter count in the memory register that stores this number too, is not that hard, specially if you know your own board..
Yes.

But what I find interesting is that the "Manufacture Date" hasn't been reset.
It says: 2016:03:21

06-06-2018, 05:03 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That *might* be why mine was recalled to Melbourne before I could pick it up from the CRK office in Adelaide.
Intriguing.
06-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've taken several hundred test shots since I got the upgraded camera back. 831 is probably about right.

But I used the PentaxForums shutter count tool, not (say) file names, to find the EXIF data:
OK - I was thinking you'd just got the camera back and that was the numbering you were seeing on the file name.

I should have been more clear in what I wrote. On my K3II, the file naming, e.g. DCIMxxxx roles over at 9999, and if you were looking at file names thinking it was shutter count, then it is misleading.
06-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PabloFP Quote
Well, if the manufacture date was changed (they wrote the old date in the new board), they should write your actual shutter count in the memory register that stores this number too, is not that hard, specially if you know your own board..
It's not hard, correct, but you must first think of it...
Apparently they didn't... or maybe they want to spread F.U.D. in the used market...
06-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just had my K-1 upgrade by Precision Camera. They are very professional and easy to work with, plus the turnaround was only one week. I will be sending them my K-3 and some lenses for cleaning and alignment soon because I am convinced that they are very competent !
06-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two days after my K-1 II was whisked back to Melbourne, it is now in my hands. Apparently the extra step required was something to do with updating the WiFi function. A CD with the newest DCU software was included.

I haven't checked the shutter count yet. All my customised menus settings have gone of course, so I have just spent some time getting them back where I want them. The dynamic pixel shift is definitely in the menu now, so it appears they actually did something apart from pop out the "SR" badge and replace it with a "II"

Next I'll have to dial in some AF fine corrections. And maybe take some photos
06-07-2018, 02:57 AM   #43

But so far no one has gotten the "AOC" sticker on the pentaprism housing as seen in the blog linked in this thread:

What happens when you have your K-1 upgraded - PentaxForums.com

Must be a Japan only perk.
06-07-2018, 02:59 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my "SR" badge returned to me in a plastic bag

I think the AOC transfer was a CP+ thing. You had to be in the right place at the right time.
06-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I got my "SR" badge returned to me in a plastic bag

I think the AOC transfer was a CP+ thing. You had to be in the right place at the right time.
That makes sense.