Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #136

Photos: Albums
Gave my K-1 for an upgrade, the store clerk later told that the Swedish repair centre is overwhelmed with orders. The good thing is that I will have my K-1 for the early autumn shots. By the sound of it, my place in the queue won't be available until October. Looks like the upgrade is in high demand.

09-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Gave my K-1 for an upgrade, the store clerk later told that the Swedish repair centre is overwhelmed with orders. The good thing is that I will have my K-1 for the early autumn shots. By the sound of it, my place in the queue won't be available until October. Looks like the upgrade is in high demand.
Well then I'm glad that I had my K-1 upgraded in the beginning of june!
It took about 3 weeks.
09-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #138

Called Sun cameras, those guys are backed up till end of October, but he said I could send it in before the 30th.
09-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #139

Got my upgrade back, here is my preliminary feedback:

Duration: Dropped off on August 20, received September 12 (on par with the quoted 2-3 weeks)

In addition to upgrade, they done a cleaning (camera looks spotless cosmetically) and a calibration, pretty happy.

I have only used the Auto focus function; it is way better! much more faster and accurate. The old one tend to "hunt" on focus point and often get it wrong, reminds me of my old Kodak DSLR. The MK II directly get it in focus and every time. Personally, just the improvement in the AF worth the cost to me.

The noise level is also improved. Previously I notice a significant decrease in image quality at 6400, now 6400 iso is a lot more usable without additional noise filtering in post processing.

Hand-held super pixel is not tested.

Battery life is has not been a concern for me since I normally don't use more than half of the battery per event.

Over all the upgrade is well worth it: Much better AF, much better ISO performance.

My first experience with Precision camera repair is pretty nice.

09-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by datkarma86 Quote
Got my upgrade back, here is my preliminary feedback:

Duration: Dropped off on August 20, received September 12 (on par with the quoted 2-3 weeks)

In addition to upgrade, they done a cleaning (camera looks spotless cosmetically) and a calibration, pretty happy.

I have only used the Auto focus function; it is way better! much more faster and accurate. The old one tend to "hunt" on focus point and often get it wrong, reminds me of my old Kodak DSLR. The MK II directly get it in focus and every time. Personally, just the improvement in the AF worth the cost to me.

The noise level is also improved. Previously I notice a significant decrease in image quality at 6400, now 6400 iso is a lot more usable without additional noise filtering in post processing.

Hand-held super pixel is not tested.

Battery life is has not been a concern for me since I normally don't use more than half of the battery per event.

Over all the upgrade is well worth it: Much better AF, much better ISO performance.

My first experience with Precision camera repair is pretty nice.
My reaction to the way my old K1 is now working as a mkII is pretty much the same as yours and I am pleased with what I have seen in mine so far. I have a studio shoot tomorrow night then the fall airshow season starts up next weekend so I will be looking forward to putting it through 5 weeks of air shows in NTX
09-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
I have a studio shoot tomorrow night
Would be very interested in your thoughts after this. Air shows too, but this is more timely given the end of the upgrade period. Still haven't sent mine in, and leaning more and more that direction. I'm sensing that perhaps the biggest day to day improvement is AF related with better low light performance almost as more of an added bonus for those specific situations.
09-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #142
Pentaxian

I too have been hesitant to send my K-1 in for an upgrade. But I finally decided to submit the Precision Camera form tonight. The hand-held Pixel Shift and better AF sound like good improvements.

My email receipt has arrived, but for those who have upgraded through Precision, how long has it taken for them to contact you to have you ship the camera to them?

09-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #143
Veteran Member

It's back!

I've had a positive experience with my upgrade through CR Kennedy in Australia.

I took the K1 mk 1 in on 31-Aug-2018 (Friday) about lunch time, got the K1 mk II back on 17-Sep-2018 (Monday) at ~9:00 am. Given there it was a weekend drop off, it had to go to Melbourne from Adelaide etc that isn't too bad.

I would have liked it at the end of last week when I was in Geraldton for some dusk/night shots but c'est la vie. My K5 was acceptable though lacking the refinement of the K1.

So I now have my camera again with it's SR logo in a zip lock back, the II logo in it's place, a new K1 II CE decal on the bottom, and the biggest surprise - all my settings intact . My understanding is they would be reset to factory default and I'd need to re-enter them, but everything was as I'd left it - even my copyright details. I only had to set date and time (my city was as configured). Does that mean they download it and then flash it back?

Next job - test it out and see how it performs.

Have to change my sig while some time too
09-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K1 has now been sent in to CRK in Melbourne for its little operation.
09-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
I've had a positive experience with my upgrade through CR Kennedy in Australia.

I took the K1 mk 1 in on 31-Aug-2018 (Friday) about lunch time, got the K1 mk II back on 17-Sep-2018 (Monday) at ~9:00 am. Given there it was a weekend drop off, it had to go to Melbourne from Adelaide etc that isn't too bad.

I would have liked it at the end of last week when I was in Geraldton for some dusk/night shots but c'est la vie. My K5 was acceptable though lacking the refinement of the K1.

So I now have my camera again with it's SR logo in a zip lock back, the II logo in it's place, a new K1 II CE decal on the bottom, and the biggest surprise - all my settings intact . My understanding is they would be reset to factory default and I'd need to re-enter them, but everything was as I'd left it - even my copyright details. I only had to set date and time (my city was as configured). Does that mean they download it and then flash it back?

Next job - test it out and see how it performs.

Have to change my sig while some time too
Settings intact? Very nice. It took me a while to get mine set back to how I wanted it.
09-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I too have been hesitant to send my K-1 in for an upgrade. But I finally decided to submit the Precision Camera form tonight.
I finally fell off the fence tonight and landed on the same side you did. I spoke with them yesterday, and they were waiting for more parts, but said to fill in the form to reserve a spot. I assume you have not sent yours in yet and are still waiting to hear?
09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I assume you have not sent yours in yet and are still waiting to hear?
Yes. I'm hoping to hear from someone in the Forums on how long it took them to request the camera.
09-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got my K-1mkII back from Precision. Mailed to them on September 6th and received back here on September 18th. So 12 days door to door. That is impressive.

I have had several very poor experiences with Precision camera but I have to say this experience was quite good. Their communication is still the same: as in zero. No acknowledgement that the camera was received or sent back. But I guess that is minor. They did a super job on the camera it came back spotless, calibrated and upgraded.

Had to reload all settings but other than that all seems fine. No chance to test anything yet.
09-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Would be very interested in your thoughts after this. Air shows too, but this is more timely given the end of the upgrade period. Still haven't sent mine in, and leaning more and more that direction. I'm sensing that perhaps the biggest day to day improvement is AF related with better low light performance almost as more of an added bonus for those specific situations.
Well so far I am pleased, although I can't specifically say how much the AF has improved I have noticed a difference in the AF performance. Unfortunately due to the heavy rains this weekend the airshow and balloon festivals were cancelled. I did get out and shoot some of the flooding in the area, anyone for a bike ride?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
09-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
Well so far I am pleased
Thanks for the feedback. Understand on the weather. I've been wanting to do some long distance test shots for over a month now that would be pointless due to all the haze from humidity and rain that just hasn't let up for weeks.

I've done the web side of the upgrade process and am just waiting for parts to come in stock before sending it in. After waiting so long to make the commitment, I can now go nuts with anticipation.

Beyond all that, I just want to know what the rider of the bike looked like.