Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The official K-1 to K-1 Mark II Upgrade Feedback Thread

If you've had your camera upgraded, please share your experience with regard to turnaround and quality of the service in this thread. Be sure to state where you got your camera serviced, as it's being offered worldwide!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2018, 01:06 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I had already posted this elsewhere, before I saw this thread existed.

I'm in Ireland, and Johnson's Photopia in the UK is whom I'm dealing with. They're sending a courier with a special box to pick up my camera on Thursday as part of the service.
Thus far their customer service person that I've been dealing with is fantastic. If their work is as good, I think I'll be grand, but I'll update once I get my camera back.

Looking forward to comparing the K-1 Mark II, to the K-1 Mark II (upgrade)
05-29-2018, 01:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just this afternoon I dropped my black K-1 off at the C R Kennedy office in Adelaide, Australia.

I'll keep you posted. Including a comparison with my Silver Limited K-1, which will live out its life in original condition.
05-29-2018, 06:06 AM - 4 Likes   #4

Photos: Gallery
Happy with the upgrade to Mark II

I dropped my K-1 into CR Kennedy, VIC Australia Monday morning and collected the upgraded Mark II Thursday - the first in Australia upgraded. I went out shooting on the week-end and pleasantly surprised with what I tried:
- Pixel shift much faster than previous, but I'm not able to confirm improved detail
- Boket and colour excellent
- Dynamic range improved
I'm pleased with the service turn-around and the outcome of images. Sample attached.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-29-2018, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #5

Happy with the upgrade to Mark II

I dropped my K-1 into CR Kennedy, VIC Australia Monday morning and collected the upgraded Mark II Thursday - the first in Australia upgraded. I went out shooting on the week-end and pleasantly surprised with what I tried:
- Pixel shift much faster than previous, but I'm not able to confirm improved detail
- Dynamic range improved
I'm pleased with the service turn-around and the outcome of images. Sample attached.
05-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff Ince Quote
- Dynamic range improved
Geoff, thanks for posting!

The one thing that you mentioned that surprised me a bit was your comment that Bokeh improved. To my knowledge, you are the first person to make this observation. Could you please tell us more about what makes you feel that the Bokeh improved after the conversion.

Also, you mentioned that Pixel Shift was faster. Are you saying that the old version of Pixel Shift was faster after the conversion; or were you comparing the old version of PS to the new version of PS? By faster, do you mean that: the actual shooting time shortened, the processing time shortened, or both?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-29-2018 at 09:42 AM.
05-29-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #7

I feel the bokeh is softer and more refined, together with a slightly better colour definition.

As for the pixel shift, the in camera processing is much faster from the time you hit the button and the time it finishes. The shutter speeds I used ranged from 1/125 to 20sec. The shorter time covers:
- the four capturing of images: faster
- post processing in camera: faster

Your right, I've read as much as I could prior to upgrade and this was not mentioned which is why I'm surprised by it.

05-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff Ince Quote
I feel the bokeh is softer and more refined, together with a slightly better colour definition.

As for the pixel shift, the in camera processing is much faster from the time you hit the button and the time it finishes. The shutter speeds I used ranged from 1/125 to 20sec. The shorter time covers:
- the four capturing of images: faster
- post processing in camera: faster

Your right, I've read as much as I could prior to upgrade and this was not mentioned which is why I'm surprised by it.
Geoff, thank you for your further explanation.

I'm very impressed with what you've experienced with the upgrade. I use pixel shift regularly with my K1 version 1, and having the overall time it takes to take pixel shift images reduced would definitely be a big plus for me.

Also your observation that the bokeh is "softer and more refined" is very interesting. I expect that many photographers will be pleased to hear that. I'm a bit of a bokeholic and I'd upgrade my K1 just to get the improved bokeh.

I hope that others who have access to both the K1 and the K1 MkII can explore further both the faster pixel shift and the better bokeh. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some side-by-side bokeh image comparisions.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-29-2018 at 05:08 PM.
05-29-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
?

Bokeh is a property of the lens, not the body.

Let's not 'put mayo' on the good news of this upgrade.
05-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Could be placebo effect in action
05-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

Granted, the lens is probably the principle creator of bokeh, however, a camera's sensor has an impact on the bokeh also. For example, I have found that version 1 of Pentax Pixel Shift has a definite impact on my images' bokeh. So, while I was initially skeptical about the claim of improved bokeh, I thought I'd go with it and try to find out more (especially considering the author is from down under ). Maybe there is a little secret sauce in this conversion that does something to the bokeh? I'm not ruling anything out until I see more comparative studies/reviews.
05-29-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

What I think Geoff Ince is seeing with the better bokeh is the better handling of continuous tone by the K-1MKII.
05-29-2018, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
What I think Geoff Ince is seeing with the better bokeh is the better handling of continuous tone by the K-1MKII.
That could be the case.

Or could the "bokeh is softer and more refined" observed by Geoff be the result of reduced noise in the out of focus areas of the image? I realize that reduced noise from the K1 MkII upgrade would be uniform over the entire image, but, the reduced noise would be more apparent in the continuous tones of the out of focus bokeh rather than on the subject of the image itself.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-29-2018 at 08:41 PM.
05-29-2018, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
That could be the case.

Or could the "bokeh is softer and more refined" observed by Geoff be the result of reduced noise in the out of focus areas of the image? I realize that reduced noise from the K1 MkII upgrade would be uniform over the entire image, but, the reduced noise would be more apparent in the continuous tones of the out of focus bokeh rather than on the subject of the image itself.
Fenwoodian you can see the better bokeh in the PF outdoor comparison scene with the violet flower. The out of focus area behind the flower is a good example of how the improved continuous tone of the K-1MKII makes for better bokeh.
05-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Fenwoodian you can see the better bokeh in the PF outdoor comparison scene with the violet flower. The out of focus area behind the flower is a good example of how the improved continuous tone of the K-1MKII makes for better bokeh.
OK, thanks.

I would like to see those photos, but don't know where they are located. Might you be able to provide a link to these violet flower photos?

Thanks