Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How long should a CMOS battery last (Johnston's photopia)

Hi
Had my K30 aperture block repaired by Johnston's photopia in febuary. While they were at it I got them to service the camera and fit a new CMOS battery. Today I swapped my battery and had to re enter all the date info. I am pretty sure the repair is out of warranty. I am not a happy bunny!

05-29-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to give Johnston's a call. February was only four months ago.

Steve
05-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK, I take it back slightly. The battery seems to be charged up again, it retains the info when you pull the battery but loses it if the battery is out charging which isn't ideal. One quick question, if the CMOS is dead and you pull the battery do you lose your custom settings?
05-30-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Did they replace the main battery or the clock backup battery on the mainboard?

If it was a main battery it may not have been fully charged when Precision put it in. Put a fully charged main battery in and let the camera sit for at least 24 hours to fully charge the clock backup battery. The Hoya Pentax site used to say how long it took to charge the clock battery but I don't remember what it is - in the 12-72 hour range. It also used to say how long it took to discharge the backup battery - again in the 12 to 72 hour range.

Custom settings should not get lost if the clock battery runs out, but I'm not 100% certain. Settings should go into NVRAM and hold without power.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-30-2018 at 09:49 AM.
05-30-2018, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Easy solution--Keep a spare, fully charged battery on hand to swap in immediately so you don't lose that data.