Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 05:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
I dont mind them having my kit for few days or weeks as long as all the issues are fixed.
Best of luck, and pls keep us updated. If you found a solution via some CRK magic spells, I might let them have a go at my Sigma 35 too.

06-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Still waiting for response from CRK. They confirmed that the lens requires calibration and the technician is working on it. They would send me some test pictures taken from various distances before sending the camera & lens back to me. Hope to get some update on Monday.
07-01-2018, 07:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got another update today that the auto focus system on the K1 has been adjusted as well along with the lens. I should be getting some pictures today to confirm if everything is fixed.
07-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Got another update today that the auto focus system on the K1 has been adjusted as well along with the lens. I should be getting some pictures today to confirm if everything is fixed.
Fingers crossed for you.

I spent the day out yesterday shooting with just the Sigma 35 and the DFA 70-200 on the K-1. Perfect AF throughout with both.

07-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Fingers crossed for you.

I spent the day out yesterday shooting with just the Sigma 35 and the DFA 70-200 on the K-1. Perfect AF throughout with both.
Thanks Paul. Hope everything gets fixed this time so that I can spend time on shooting rather than calibrating/fixing the focus all the time. Weird, that even last time when I sent my K1+Sigma 35, I was told that the K1 was calibrated to fix the issue but I did not find much improvement. Lets see this time. As you said, keeping fingers crossed
07-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got an update that they still found issues while taking test pictures. The lens requires further calibration it seems. If it was challenging even for service center , I should not have wasted too much of my time playing around with the dock thinking I can fix the issue

If it's going to take few more days , am planning to request them to swap the lens or camera to a working copy.
07-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got an update that they still found issues while taking test pictures. The lens requires further calibration it seems. If it was challenging even for service center , I should not have wasted too much of my time playing around with the dock thinking I can fix the issue

If it's going to take few more days , am planning to request them to swap the lens or camera to a working copy.
Second time back I would have been requesting a new lens. Did you buy it from them? If so, i hope they do the right thing and fix or replace it. I figure they have already spent the wholesale cost of the lens on servicing it so far.

07-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #23

I have done more adjustments on the dock and seems better but still to do more shots out in the field. I still think mine needs more adjustments.
Still thinking about the K1 update so may go back together.
07-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found the Sigma dock calibration software lacks appropriate adjustments for people suffering from specific focusing issues.

On this particular lens there are plenty of adjustment points between 0.28m and 0.5m, but nothing between 0.5m ->infinity. Which is where I had the most problems with my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART.

Has sigma updated the software recently?
07-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I have purchased lens from them through dcxpert. The lens is still under warranty and they have been holding it up for more than a week now. I remember last time, the lens and camera was shipped back within a day or two after calibration. Since this is third time I have sent it for correction, they are now making sure everything is fixed I believe.

The problem I had with lens is, if i spend more time calibrating it and then next day when I check. The lens still shows issues. Again post calibration, I would think everything is good. The next day again I will have issues. Its like a never ending story

@Diigitalis, I completely agree with you. Its easier to calibrate for 0.3 and 0.4 in 35mm ART but the 0.6 - 1 meter and 2 meter to infinity is always the problem. I could not get it right all the time. At least i did not buy the zoom lens as yours, else I would have ended up in divorce with time I would have spent calibrating it....lol
07-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I found the Sigma dock calibration software lacks appropriate adjustments for people suffering from specific focusing issues.

On this particular lens there are plenty of adjustment points between 0.28m and 0.5m, but nothing between 0.5m ->infinity. Which is where I had the most problems with my Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 ART.

Has sigma updated the software recently?
So you have to shoot and test with the lens docked and shoot the focus target at each distance? Looks like they want the consumer to pay for the equipment,(dock) and do all the work to make an expensive lens work.
07-03-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is correct. The USB dock may fix certain focus issues but not all. Especially the 2 to infinity setting overlaps the setting with 0.6 to 1 meter.
Sigma should fix the issues with lens as part of warranty instead of forcing users to buy the USB dock. Yes , it reduces time in sending the kit to service center but I really doubt on their QC dept. May be am one of the unlucky ones
07-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That is correct. The USB dock may fix certain focus issues but not all. Especially the 2 to infinity setting overlaps the setting with 0.6 to 1 meter.
Sigma should fix the issues with lens as part of warranty instead of forcing users to buy the USB dock. Yes , it reduces time in sending the kit to service center but I really doubt on their QC dept. May be am one of the unlucky ones
Trying to go back to the bad old days? Sigma has some great glass, but auto focus seems to be their bug bear, so why do people always scream about Pentax AF? Are they using Sigma glass?
07-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Generally I've had positive experiences with CRK but one of my Pentax lens went in 3 times before they got it right. The third time it went in I was much more active in speaking with service department through the process, I don't know if that made any difference.

Even though the Sydney office sends everything to Melbourne dropping it off does save on freight and insurance if you happen to be in the Mascot area.
07-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike.

Finally they stated that my camera and the lens will be shipped today . They have calibrated both my lens and the camera this time. Also I was told today that due to the behavior of the auto focus system within Pentax K1, when I refocus from infinity to the near object, say about 5 meters, the autofocus lock will slightly back focus it seems but the subject will still be in focus. Similarly when I refocus from near object to far, it will slightly front focus. And the person confirmed that the behavior is with every Pentax K1 camera. I never heard this behavior before and would love to hear some feedback from you all.