Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Experience with C.R.Kennedy (Sigma and Pentax) Service issues : Sigma 35mm Pentax k1

Hi,

My Sigma 35mm Art 1.4 lens was sent to C.RKennedy the third time along with my Pentax K1. The first time, I have sent just the lens without the camera body (my mistake) and I was told it was calibrated but I did not find any improvement. The second time, I was told that they found issues with my Pentax K1 and it was calibrated and my lens worked fine. But still I had focusing issues primarily from 1.5 meter to infinity. I had discussion with the service center personnel before sending it to them the third time. Apparently I was told that the calibration will be done within the lens itself and I will not using the USB dock and hence i will not be able to see the calibration values. Also the testing will be done only from 1.5 meters and infinity level. They have a strict procedure to follow on the calibration and it was provided by Sigma itself. They will adhere to it.

When I told them that the issue should be fixed at all distances including 30 cm, 40 cms ,60 cms, I was questioned on why am shooting in those minimum distances Weird conversation when someone told that me that am not supposed to use those distances using this lens for photography when the lens is capable of taking pictures on those distances. I explained that with 35mm I wanted to get close for tight portraits but not sure if the person on the other side understood it. Apparently the technicians will not be speaking to any customers directly and hence have to go through the admin person. Hopefully in the end they agreed that they will check and will send me the test snapshots before sending the camera and lens back to me. Keeping my fingers crossed

The amount of money spent on calibration kits (Sigma USB dock, Spyder lenscal) and 3x shipping and insurances, I believe I could have bought myself another cheaper lens

06-24-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matroxication Quote
When I told them that the issue should be fixed at all distances including 30 cm, 40 cms ,60 cms,
I think the staff are suggesting the use of the AF calibration option on your K1. Work with the staff. They are good (at least the ones I have worked with). However, communication is not their strong suit (i.e. lenses sent to them were not 'acknowledged on receipt' and return post was not notified).

---------- Post added 24-06-18 at 06:37 PM ----------

Fixing Front and Back Focus - The Remedy - In-Depth Articles
06-24-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have no issues with this camera/lens combination. The only time the 35mm Art went to CRK was to get the mount replaced so it wouldn't scratch the K1. All repairs done for me by CRK have been perfect.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.
06-24-2018, 02:18 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its unfortuneate your having issues, I can only give the CRK crew a very big tick, they have always done a good job with my stuff. One thing I would advise is that IF you possibly can, make the effort to go in and see them, often these things are best explained face to face. Relationships are built, understandings developed. I fully appreciate it may not be possible to do this.

06-24-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Chceck if your camera autofocus support mirror is clean.
06-24-2018, 02:32 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If focus is critical, especially when shooting wide open at close range, I would strongly recommend using live view.
06-24-2018, 03:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sent my K-5 and D-FA 50 macro for calibration to CRK, came back spot on, that is a combo. I use a lot, so having it calibrated is fantastic. Service and communication was top notch.

06-24-2018, 04:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I actually gave up before spending any more time with the calibration (In camera, USB dock and combination of both) and I told them this as well. The problem is, the actual service center is in Melbourne and the Sydney office does not do any service. Even if I visit them in person, they just will ship the item to Melbourne service center
06-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If focus is critical, especially when shooting wide open at close range, I would strongly recommend using live view.
I also suggest the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, which helps with manual focus considerably...but does affect viewfinder brightness on the K1. And if you also wear glasses, the O-ME53 will limit visibility.

I'll do my best to keep my opinions of opinions of CRK to myself, but for the record: my experience with them has been profoundly unpleasant.
06-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@Digitalis, I actually have O-ME53 on my K1. At one point, I even tried using only manual focus on that lens. Hence bought that to assist
06-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I also suggest the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, which helps with manual focus considerably
Absolutely. I have an O-ME53 on all three of my K-mount DSLR's. Wouldn't be without them. But if I'm focussing critically I still switch to live view.
06-24-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Blame Sigma and their fickle 35mm f1.4, not CRK.

Only so much a repair centre can do when a lens like the 35 f1.4 has inherent flaws, seemingly across all mounts.
06-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #13

I too have this lens, and when buying it last Xmas I purchased the dock as well, as I wasn't confident the how good the lens would be. After doing an initial shoot with it, I found the focus to be out and it just did not look all that inspiring.
So I have played with the docking station adjustments and found some improvements, but will need to do again to improve. I have not fallen in love with the photos from this lens.
Have talked to the service guys at CRK's and will probably send the lens in with the camera. Still toying with the K1 update which I would get done at the same time.
You can't do the Sigma lens adjustments in camera as they won't save when you turn the camera off, but you can use it as a guide when doing the docking station one.
06-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Tropichal Quote
You can't do the Sigma lens adjustments in camera as they won't save when you turn the camera off
Yes it does. My K1 saved adjustments I made with my Sigma 35mmF1.4.

But I ended up getting a Sigma USB dock and did it with that for, hopefully a more accurate adjustment. But the K1 did save the settings i set in camera before I got the dock.

It is a good lens when you get it dialed in. But it took a little time to get it there.

Hope you get yours sorted.

I had to send my Sigma 70-200mmF2.8 to CRK for a firmware update. Buy a lot of gear direct from them and via their Ebay DCXPERT. For me they have always been great to deal with. It is a hassle posting from the far south coast NSW. But if I have no other option, I do. If the K1 ever needs to get sent to them, I will also send my Sigma 35mmF1.4 and get them to do a calibration on both.

Last edited by Craig66; 06-24-2018 at 11:39 PM.
06-26-2018, 05:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Am still waiting for an update form CRK regarding my Sigma 35mm and the K1 . I spoke to them today and they stated that they require some more time and will update me tomorrow. I dont mind them having my kit for few days or weeks as long as all the issues are fixed.