Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #1

What to do with new defective K-1 ii

Hi

I just unboxed and played around a bit with my newly-acquired K-1 Mk II, only to find that the info bar at the bottom of the viewfinder is tilted. It’s not parallel with bottom edge of the screen.

I have two options and I don’t know which is better (either way, it means shipping the camera from Western Canada back to Ontario).

1) Send the K-1 back to the store for an exchange and pay for the shipping and insurance one way, presumably.

2) Ship it to Ricoh Canada for repairs. I haven’t researched if I need to pay the shipping or not.
——-

As for going with option 2), I mounted my 31mm Limited and my D-FA 50mm macro on the body and they focused perfectly without resorting to micro-adjustments, so I know the current body probably won’t ever need to be sent to Ricoh for focus adjustments. However, I’m guessing this could take many weeks.

Going with option 1) means just a ten-day wait for a replacement, but I’ll be rolling the dice again.

Any advice appreciated.

What have your recent experiences with Ricoh Canada been like?

-Gavin

06-26-2018, 11:57 PM   #2

How odd. Do you have another camera or cell phone that you could take a picture of the screen and post it?
06-27-2018, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
1) Send the K-1 back to the store for an exchange and pay for the shipping and insurance one way, presumably.
Depends on the retailer, but oftentimes if the product is defective, they cover return shipping.

2) Ship it to Ricoh Canada for repairs. I haven’t researched if I need to pay the shipping or not.
Most likely yes, you will have to pay the outbound shipping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-27-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I would agree with the return for exchange method, and that the seller paying the return shipping would seem fair.

06-27-2018, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

This is what I've always done with new product. I'd prefer to have equipment that hasn't needed repair before I even start using it.
I have two options and I don’t know which is better (either way, it means shipping the camera from Western Canada back to Ontario).
QuoteQuote:
either way, it means shipping the camera from Western Canada back to Ontario).
Those of us who live in Ontario ship things to Ontario all the time. It's a relatively painless process. I've had excellent service from Sun Camera, the Pentax repair centre, but if they need parts from Japan, you're going to wait 6 months. Is that something you want to take gamble with? I fit needs parts from japan, it doesn't matter that they have a couple technicians who have been doing this work for Pentax since the *ist and before Hoya , or that they are a nice company to deal with. It's out of their control. I'd contact the store and arrange a return, making sure they have a body to send you. Sending it to Sun could mean a long delay without the camera. If it's an Ontario company, they are probably just going to order another one from the Ricoh warehouse and ship it out to you. Let your retailer and Ricoh worry about what it takes for a repair and how long it might take.

Last edited by normhead; 06-28-2018 at 05:34 AM.
06-27-2018, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How odd. Do you have another camera or cell phone that you could take a picture of the screen and post it?
Here’s a photo of the problem.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/189-repairs-warranty-service/407474d1530113835-what-do-new-defective-k-1-ii-6b5a6fc1-03aa-42a6-b4d3-7bd8321cb95e.jpg

---------- Post added 06-27-2018 at 08:43 AM ----------

Great news. Just got off the phone with CameraCanada a few moments ago. Kudos to them. I will have a shipping label tomorrow. No shipping charge outbound or back in. They’re going to give me a new camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 

Last edited by gavinhw; 06-27-2018 at 08:45 AM.
06-27-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send it back to the retailer. Although it might seem a small thing, it shows lack of care in the assembly and QC of that camera so you should be given a new one without question.

06-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Great news. Just got off the phone with CameraCanada a few moments ago. Kudos to them. I will have a shipping label tomorrow. No shipping charge outbound or back in. They’re going to give me a new camera.
Great news. Never hurts to ask (nicely). Don't really see the problem from the picture but doesn't really matter now.
06-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just fyi OP, you don't need to send the camera in for AF adjustment unless it's seriously out of wack. It's a user adjustment.
06-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi

I just unboxed and played around a bit with my newly-acquired K-1 Mk II, only to find that the info bar at the bottom of the viewfinder is tilted. It’s not parallel with bottom edge of the screen.

——-

As for going with option 2), I mounted my 31mm Limited and my D-FA 50mm macro on the body and they focused perfectly without resorting to micro-adjustments, so I know the current body probably won’t ever need to be sent to Ricoh for focus adjustments. However, I’m guessing this could take many weeks.

Going with option 1) means just a ten-day wait for a replacement, but I’ll be rolling the dice again.

Any advice appreciated.

What have your recent experiences with Ricoh Canada been like?

-Gavin
For a defective unit return, I doubt that they would charge you return shipping.
06-27-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Return and replace. You don't want the camera opened up this early in it's life.
06-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Don't really see the problem from the picture but doesn't really matter now.
The right side of the rectangle is much closer to "400" than it is to "MF" or "80".
06-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It is surprising to see [what looks like] a basic assembly flaw in a mature product line like that of the K-1. Someone bungled.

Even a quick peek through the viewfinder after final assembly in the factory should have caught this blunder.

It happens, but rarely. I remember my brand new K-5 came with a smear on the focusing screen, or maybe an internal lens in the viewfinder. Required a 300km return drive to the camera store to swap out the camera for another one. Annoying.
06-27-2018, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The right side of the rectangle is much closer to "400" than it is to "MF" or "80".
That would definitely bug me.
06-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
That would definitely bug me.
Ditto. Small things like that drive me nut.