Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Question on repair probability on a K3

Ran across a deal on a "broken" K3. This particular camera has the mirror stuck in the up position, and the shutter will not release, I'm told. The price is pretty low, but I hate to buy one and find out it's cheaper to buy a working used copy than to get a mirror/shutter issue fixed. All the other functions/menu options work, I'm told, except the mirror/shutter issue. Any ideas on what this might cost to fix? Is this a common issue? I couldn't find anything on the K3 having this issue here on the forums in a brief search.

06-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure anyone but Precision Camera Repair (or another repair shop) could answer that. At a guess I would think $200 - 250 but that is pure guessing.

---------- Post added 06-29-18 at 11:46 AM ----------

How much is the camera being offered for?
06-29-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
Well, the asking price is steeper than I'd pay for a broken camera with high risk, at $275. But I'm reasonably sure the seller would come down if I could present a reasonable case for cost to fix. Bottom line is, I'm not sure it's worth much more than $150-ish if it costs another $250-300 to fix it. Might just advise him to sell it for parts unless he'll come down to $125-150. Think I might offer him $100 and show him the used prices out there right now, as a start. Might just scrap the idea. Kind of think this might snowball into a big problem and end up a losing proposition.
06-29-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Well, the asking price is steeper than I'd pay for a broken camera with high risk, at $275. But I'm reasonably sure the seller would come down if I could present a reasonable case for cost to fix. Bottom line is, I'm not sure it's worth much more than $150-ish if it costs another $250-300 to fix it. Might just advise him to sell it for parts unless he'll come down to $125-150. Think I might offer him $100 and show him the used prices out there right now, as a start. Might just scrap the idea. Kind of think this might snowball into a big problem and end up a losing proposition.
I saw the same ad. Buying anything that is broken is very high risk IMO. This offer here on the forums seems like a better deal to me.
K3/grip/extra battery (lowered price) 18-55mm zoom - PentaxForums.com

06-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Not sure this is advertised anywhere, but I just got off the phone and he's disinterested in making a deal. I think I'll save a bit longer and buy a new body, perhaps. We'll see what comes out. My current K3 is doing fine. I'm just thinking of replacing my K30 (which my son has stolen) to have a second body as a backup.
06-29-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would say that it might be worth buying if you need a parts camera and have a way to test the components. Mirror stuck in the up position and non-working shutter could mean many things, including dead main board or physically damaged mirror box. As noted above, the repair is unlikely to be under $200 USD.

Steve
06-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

Precision's Flat-Rate quote for the K-3 is $353 USD.

Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

I don't know if they charge you less if it is something simple but I do believe they will charge you more depending on parts needed. Precision will tell you after they examine the camera.

07-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You should be able to find a good condition K-3 for $400-500. Check the marketplace here or even Ebay or Amazon.
07-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

lots of places to look for " experienced " camera bodies and lenses

the market place here, I have good luck dealing with members of the forum

Amazon may have something

Adorama and BH as well

and Keh.com

Sell Used Camera Equipment & Gear Online at KEH Camera Store

Keh offers a 14 day no questions asked return on some of the " experienced " equipment they offer for sale
07-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
lots of places to look for " experienced " camera bodies and lenses

the market place here, I have good luck dealing with members of the forum

Amazon may have something

Adorama and BH as well

and Keh.com

Sell Used Camera Equipment & Gear Online at KEH Camera Store

Keh offers a 14 day no questions asked return on some of the " experienced " equipment they offer for sale
I would look at Roberts Camera since folks seem to have had very good luck with K-3 purchases there lately. (A K-3II with 4 clicks!)
07-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I would look at Roberts Camera since folks seem to have had very good luck with K-3 purchases there lately. (A K-3II with 4 clicks!)
never have had the opportunity to deal with Roberts

glad you mentioned them
07-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Precision's Flat-Rate quote for the K-3 is $353 USD.
My understanding from conversation with them is that the quote is the amount of the block they place on the credit card. They don't really do flat rate for repairs. They estimate time and materials when the camera is received and if that exceeds the $353 they contact you to arrange return. If less, you pay time and materials. I have been told that the $353 is an estimate of the cost to replace the camera at market value.

The actual terms and conditions...

https://www.precisioncamera.com/termsandconditions-Ricoh.html

Steve