Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 04:05 AM   #1

KP monitor not working

After shooting in the rain my viewfinder and then the monitor stopped working. A day later the viewfinder began working but the monitor is still not working. Is there anything I can try to correct the problem before I send it in for repairs? I’ve tried different lenses but no change. Thanks.

07-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bikedc Quote
After shooting in the rain my viewfinder and then the monitor stopped working. A day later the viewfinder began working but the monitor is still not working. Is there anything I can try to correct the problem before I send it in for repairs? I’ve tried different lenses but no change. Thanks.
Sorry for this. To start from the basics, are you sure you have not deactivate the monitor?
07-16-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Get the accumulator out of the camera and open every openings. Keep in dry air for a day and then test it again. You can make dry air by placing rice/silica gel in a bag if the ambient air is wet.
If there is some water in the body, then any voltage can damage the camera permanently. In general the water short circuits something, but does not damages the circuit itself, if there is no voltage. So keep the accumulator out of the camera while it drys.
07-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
I’m not sure if I somehow deactivated the monitor. How does one reactivate it?

07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your viewfinder stopped working? It is a piece of glass. Was the mirror in the UP position?
07-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Push the info button, to turn on the monitor. Playback and menu should work regardless you disabled the monitor or not.

If you think water may get in to the camera you should dry it first, and check these tomorrow. (My KP get some water on Saturday with a WR 18-135 lens, so it can happen! Now it works again.)
07-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Your viewfinder stopped working? It is a piece of glass. Was the mirror in the UP position?
I meant that there first was garbage (values that did make any sense) in the viewfinder display. Then it went completely dark. After a day or so the correct information appeared in the viewfinder.

---------- Post added 07-16-2018 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Push the info button, to turn on the monitor. Playback and menu should work regardless you disabled the monitor or not.

If you think water may get in to the camera you should dry it first, and check these tomorrow. (My KP get some water on Saturday with a WR 18-135 lens, so it can happen! Now it works again.)
Thanks. I tried this but the monitor doesn’t respond. I was using WR lenses also.

07-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The drying would most likely be most important first step. Then you could test the electronics later.
08-02-2018, 03:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you who offered advice. I ended up sending the body to precision. The cost to repair was almost as much as a new body. Painful lesson learned: water resistant is worthless. If you are going to shoot in bad weather either carefully protect your equipment or use a truly waterproof camera.