Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tripod fell over, lens jammed

The kit lens (18-50mm DC WR RE) that came with my KS-2 suffered when I was relocating my tripod from a slope to another position on my driveway that slopes opposite of the first. I set the tripod down and like a dummy, let go of it to readjust the legs for the new sloped area. The tripod promptly went straight over being off balanced and it landed hard directly on the lens.

The barrel is jammed at an angle and won’t turn. I had a polarizing lens on so it’s scruffed up from hitting the driveway so hard but the actual front of my lens is undamaged.

I do not hear anything rattling nor broken if I gently shake the lens. I tried very gently to see if I could pull the jammed part of the barrel out but no luck.

I know this is a cheap lens comparatively but would it even be worth taking it to a camera repair shop?

It’s my favorite lens to photograph my acrylic paintings that I sell.

Before I drive an hour to the camera store to have it looked at, I thought I’d run this but the forum.

Common sense is telling me I’d probably spend as much in repairing as I would just buying a whole new lens.

Thoughts anyone?

PS: I only had my iphone to shoot the condition of the lens to post here.

Attached Images

07-26-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #2

It would probably be more economical to replace the lens rather than having it repaired. You can send it to Precision Camera for an estimate and in the meantime shop around for prices on replacements.
07-26-2018, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
The kit lens (18-50mm DC WR RE) that came with my KS-2 suffered when I was relocating my tripod from a slope to another position on my driveway that slopes opposite of the first. I set the tripod down and like a dummy, let go of it to readjust the legs for the new sloped area. The tripod promptly went straight over being off balanced and it landed hard directly on the lens.

The barrel is jammed at an angle and won’t turn. I had a polarizing lens on so it’s scruffed up from hitting the driveway so hard but the actual front of my lens is undamaged.

I do not hear anything rattling nor broken if I gently shake the lens. I tried very gently to see if I could pull the jammed part of the barrel out but no luck.

I know this is a cheap lens comparatively but would it even be worth taking it to a camera repair shop?

It’s my favorite lens to photograph my acrylic paintings that I sell.

Before I drive an hour to the camera store to have it looked at, I thought I’d run this but the forum.

Common sense is telling me I’d probably spend as much in repairing as I would just buying a whole new lens.

Thoughts anyone?

PS: I only had my iphone to shoot the condition of the lens to post here.
Find a good used copy and buy it, you'll spend more than its worth getting it fixed, if it can be fixed. BTW, why were you changing the leg length to relocate the camera when you could have just rotated the camera mount on the tripod to close to the angle needed then get the tripod legs adjusted after you have it stabilized?

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-26-2018 at 07:56 PM.
07-26-2018, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same thing happened to my wife when she was using my FA 100mm F2.8 Macro. Totally jammed the focus ring. And not repairable. Had to console myself by purchasing the D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR. Larrymc is right, probably better to just find a used one. Or better yet, upgrade to the DA 18-135.

07-26-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Same thing happened to my wife when she was using my FA 100mm F2.8 Macro. Totally jammed the focus ring. And not repairable. Had to console myself by purchasing the D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR. Larrymc is right, probably better to just find a used one. Or better yet, upgrade to the DA 18-135.

Upgrading to the 18-135 is a good idea. I had one and passed it on to my daughter who uses it as her main lens.

And, like the others Phyllis, I suspect your lens is a goner.
07-26-2018, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #6

With shipping cost what they are I think its a "NO BRAINER" go with what you already suspect.
We have all done things that make us scratch your heads afterwords. The good thing is it was not a DA* lens 😉
07-27-2018, 04:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The kit lens (18-50mm DC WR RE)I tried very gently to see if I could pull the jammed part of the barrel out but no luck.
Try less gently
Maybe try tapping in the other side to un-jam it.. After all, it's toast anyway so what have you got to lose?

07-27-2018, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Try less gently
Maybe try tapping in the other side to un-jam it.. After all, it's toast anyway so what have you got to lose?
I agree. As others have noted, it's not worth fixing, so consider it broken. You can't make it any worse, and might just get it back to operating. Try pulling a lot less gently!
07-27-2018, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can heat it in the sun too: aluminum expands quite a bit. Let it sit in the hot sun in 5 minutes increments, trying to unstick it at each interval. Also, I'd probably cover the lens cap with tin foil: there's no point in heating the plastic or glass.
07-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Find a good used copy and buy it, you'll spend more than its worth getting it fixed, if it can be fixed. BTW, why were you changing the leg length to relocate the camera when you could have just rotated the camera mount on the tripod to close to the angle needed then get the tripod legs adjusted after you have it stabilized?
I moved 25 feet away from the original location which sloped backward. The new area sloped forward so when I set the tripod down, I let go to adjust the leg to compensate for the change in the degree of slope and over it went. It just seemed easier to adjust the leg rather than rotate the camera. Lesson learned.
07-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
With shipping cost what they are I think its a "NO BRAINER" go with what you already suspect.
We have all done things that make us scratch your heads afterwords. The good thing is it was not a DA* lens 😉
Even tho it’s a kit lens, my stomach churned watching it hit before I could catch it.
07-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It would probably be more economical to replace the lens rather than having it repaired. You can send it to Precision Camera for an estimate and in the meantime shop around for prices on replacements.
More than likely I’m going to just replace it when I factor in shipping for a repair.
07-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Try less gently
True! I do have a jeweler’s set of screwdrivers. At this point, I guess I could try to see if I can get the barrel realigned. Then if it works, take some test shots to check for lens damage. I really have nothing to lose with the lens at this point do I?
07-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #14

True! I do have a jeweler’s set of screwdrivers. At this point, I guess I could try to see if I can get the barrel realigned. Then if it works, take some test shots to check for lens damage. I really have nothing to lose with the lens at this point do I?
That's what I'd do too! Good luck with it
07-27-2018, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #15

You need a set of JIS drivers, not Philips. JIS drivers are less likely the strip the heads on the screws.