Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Any Shutter problems with K3ii beyond its estimated lifespan

Has anyone experienced any shutter problems once their camera has gone beyond the suggested lifespan of 200,000 ?

07-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Not really! I haven't heard sth like that!
Have you?
07-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's only 3 years old!
07-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've had mine for almost 2.5 years, and it has about 25k shutter actuations. At this rate, I'll be able to report back in... 18 years or so? More seriously, I see me dropping it as a much higher risk to its lifespan than mechanical failure.

07-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gwd4YQL Quote
Has anyone experienced any shutter problems once their camera has gone beyond the suggested lifespan of 200,000 ?
The shutter rating is more of an expectation rather than a guarantee. While the K-3 hasn't had any major quality control related issues with the shutter, it's possible that your shutter will fail before or after 200k.

That said, per image exif we seem to have a plenty of users with 6-digit shutter counts on their cameras, so they must be chugging along fine for the most part!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That said, per image exif we seem to have a plenty of users with 6-digit shutter counts on their cameras, so they must be chugging along fine for the most part!
Does the site track this info and/or make it visible to users?
08-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Does the site track this info and/or make it visible to users?
Not at the moment, but it's something I'm considering (in aggregate form of course). The data gets stripped after an uploaded image is processed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's only 3 years old!
Depending on what the camera's being used for (especially sports), 200,000 actuations in 3 years is doable. My K-5 IIs is over the 100,000 rated for it and most of those happened in about 2 years shooting sports.
08-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Depending on what the camera's being used for (especially sports), 200,000 actuations in 3 years is doable. My K-5 IIs is over the 100,000 rated for it and most of those happened in about 2 years shooting sports.
Doable, yes, but are you gong to get a sufficient number of cameras that have exceeded 200,000 actuations to form any sort of statistically significant sample? The type of hammering they would receive to reach that figure in that tie would not be representative of anything but itself, I would have thought.