Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is my K5-iis on life support? Or.. how many clicks will it take?

I just ran across a shutter count thread and decided to check.. I've got 130,000 clicks on my K5-IIs...
It could be tomorrow, it could be 2 years from now, when it goes...

I guess... "get a new body" and once the shutter dies on my K5-IIs, then get shutter replaced. Because it's rock solid, I don't want to outright replace it..
Or do I preemptively get it done, when I have a convenient time to send it away?

Thoughts?

08-08-2018, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look for a good used K5II/IIs (The Marketplace should be a good place to look for one).
I bet you'd just like to have your present K5IIs last another 100,000 clicks but … jus in case get another one!
An alternative …. K-1 ?
Cheers!

BTW, my old K5 still works great after over 100,000 clicks and hope that it will last forever !!
08-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can't do the K-1. That would require too many new lenses. I do a ton of low-light work. People report the KP is fantastic at this. And sports too, (the KP burst rate is no worse than the K5, so I'm fine with that. But the K-1 is slow at burst, and for the newspaper work I don't need the super huge files. I need to get through them quick and get them to the editor.

I think a KP is in my future, unless Pentax comes out with a new(er) APS-C soon?

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Look for a good used K5II/IIs (The Marketplace should be a good place to look for one).
I bet you'd just like to have your present K5IIs last another 100,000 clicks but … jus in case get another one!
An alternative …. K-1 ?
Cheers!

BTW, my old K5 still works great after over 100,000 clicks and hope that it will last forever !!
08-08-2018, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I think a KP is in my future, unless Pentax comes out with a new(er) APS-C soon?
I should have thought of the KP ... great reviews from users. Indeed a good "replacement" for an aging K5.
As for the "upcoming" APS-C flagship: time only will tell.

08-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't have any issues, keep shooting. The K5 is a tank.
My K3II outperforms my K5, but I'm carrying both in the field this year and the images from the K5 with DA300 have been outstanding.
08-08-2018, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a K-5 with 160,000 clicks on it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
08-08-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Thoughts?
Is it showing any signs of age? If not, why fix what isn't broken? It could easily do the same again and still be working fine.

08-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious about image quality and ISO performance of the K-1's vs. the K-5II/IIs when the K-1's crop modes are used. In theory the IQ should be quite similar but I can't imagine that there would be no difference.

Otherwise, either get another K-5 or maybe look at the KP. My hope is that the K-3II's replacement has ergo's more like the K-5 and less like the KP. I doubt it will work out this way though.
08-08-2018, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #9

It sounds like you use the K-5 for work purposes (you mentioned "newspaper") so my gut says you can't really be without a working camera body. You have effectively a couple of options, or three if you count "do nothing and wait." As far as doing something, you could get a nice, used Pentax crop-body DSLR (K5/K50/K70/K3) and try to get the best used deal you can (with relatively low shutter count and in great condition). Or you could buy a new crop body (K3ii/K70/KP) and semi-retire your K5. I guess as option 4, you could go really cheap and pick up an old K-30 or K-10/20 variant, purely as an emergency backup for when/if your K5 fails unexpectedly, but that's a tough way to go as you give up a lot going that route.

Ultimately, there's no telling how long your K5 will last, aside from "at least until now." If you look at the online shutter life database, which is still just a skewed glimpse, the Kaplan-Meyer curve says you have roughly 68.8% survival of the K-5iis into the 150-250k shutter actuation range. Now, that's an n of 1 at that age, and only an n=12 total reporting, so the data is effectively insignificant from a statistical standpoint, but it does reflect the experience of 12 people, 10 of whom noted their cameras were still in proper working order at the time of reporting. I'm not saying your camera will go to 250k, but what I'm saying is there's at least a fair chance it will go to 150k, based on prior performance and no issues.

If I were you, and my livelihood rested on a working DSLR body, I'd strongly consider a good backup (maybe a used K5iis could be found?) so you don't find yourself stranded at some point. Once your original K5iis dies, you could then upgrade to the K3ii successor or some other worthy new body (or a newer used body). Seems like the cost/performance point is to at least pick up a second K5iis, if you can find one, and keep it in the rotation until your first one dies, then upgrade to a newer body. But you could easily grab a K3 or such, and do the same thing.
08-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am seriously thinking of getting a K5 as back up to my K3 (I currently have a k30 that has already had the aperture block fail and now the mirror is sticking). Used K5s are quite cheap, there are several at the £200 mark. As for the kp, I have seen two nearly new available for 2/3 the price of a new one. It seems to fall between the entry level k70 and the semi pro k3. Would you miss the top LCD? Would you like a smaller unit than the K5? So many considerations. I think I would like to try a K5, just to see what the hype is about, I would definitely buy another K3 (fantastic camera,) over the kp ....... But then the KPs size would be great for candid street work ...... Aaaarg! I am conflicted now!!!! I definitely wouldn't buy a k30/50 purely because of the possible risk of failure (1 in 3 k30s have the aperture block problem). Hope this helps, although it probably doesn't lol
08-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and weddings/portraits/anything that can make me some extra income.
You are correct, I can't be without a second body. I do have one, a K5 (but it's... odd... It doesn't ever seem to focus dead on. Basically, I can't depend on it. So it's a permanent backup "if I have nothing left."

So yes, on that note, I'm definitely scouring for deals, either a K3 or a KP. I do a lot of low-light stuff, and like I said above, the reviews are stellar about the KP and the low-light ability being even more awesome than the K-5..
Onward.. Thanks everyone for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
It sounds like you use the K-5 for work purposes (you mentioned "newspaper") so my gut says you can't really be without a working camera body. .
08-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #12

Well, if you don't live where shipping it would be a nightmare, theres a pretty decent K3 for sale in the classifieds. Maybe the proce is either already right or can be negotiated? (I have no connection to anything in the classifieds except for listing after some lenses, BTW.)
08-08-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am seriously thinking of getting a K5 as back up to my K3 (I currently have a k30 that has already had the aperture block fail and now the mirror is sticking). Used K5s are quite cheap, there are several at the £200 mark. As for the kp, I have seen two nearly new available for 2/3 the price of a new one. It seems to fall between the entry level k70 and the semi pro k3. Would you miss the top LCD? Would you like a smaller unit than the K5? So many considerations. I think I would like to try a K5, just to see what the hype is about, I would definitely buy another K3 (fantastic camera,) over the kp ....... But then the KPs size would be great for candid street work ...... Aaaarg! I am conflicted now!!!! I definitely wouldn't buy a k30/50 purely because of the possible risk of failure (1 in 3 k30s have the aperture block problem). Hope this helps, although it probably doesn't lol
If you're a happy man with the K3 then the handling on the K5 will please you, although superficially almost identical, the K5 just seems to mould itself to my paw. Never had a camera like it, film or digital. Just seems to balance perfectly and the button layout is very intuitive.
08-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've got 130,000 clicks on my K5-IIs..
If you like it, hang onto it. It may last 100,000 more. Like others, why fix what isn't broke. Messing with it may not improve anything.
08-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrMojo Quote
If you're a happy man with the K3 then the handling on the K5 will please you, although superficially almost identical, the K5 just seems to mould itself to my paw. Never had a camera like it, film or digital. Just seems to balance perfectly and the button layout is very intuitive.
What about performance? Is there much difference between the K5 and the k5ii?