Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

1.5 foot fall onto carpet=broken 50-135.

Although I think the real underlying damage waswhen I had to slam on the brakes a few days ago to avoid a head-on collision and the camera was on the passenger seat, it actually broke when I forgot it was on the hotel desk chair and tipped said chair over to retrieve a sock that was beneath it... crap.

Snapped like a twig and Iím not sure if I found all the pins.

While it looks like a simple fix (one broken piece of plastic the mount screws into), I have no idea how much itíll cost.

Has anyone had this done and how much it cost?

Iíve had my 60-250 repaired but that was a more serious problem (dropped to hard floor from 5 feet up, no camera attached, internal elements broke loose) so I canít inagine itís a good comparison.

This is my favorite lens, and the one that came with my first Pentax camera

---------- Post added 08-18-18 at 10:33 AM ----------

Update: itís worse than I thought. Zoom ring is stiff and when I got it to turn a thin piece of rubber began to extrude itself from the area of the green ring and thereís a definite mismatch in spacing - the side wit the broken plastic mount piece gaps open so the green ring is loose.

Attached Images

08-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ouch, that looks bad
I hope it is repairable. Good luck!
08-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Everything is repairable given enough money. The important question is whether the price is more or less than the cost of a replacement. There is only one way to know for sure - send it off for a quote.

Unless you have insurance, of course.
08-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Economically infeasible repair is my guess. I'm sorry. Maybe you can get one with bad arm and perform a transplant.

08-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ouch, feel sorry for you; hopefully it's not getting too expensive
08-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If there is a silver lining (and there probably isn't as anyone would be distraught with this sight), I will say thank you for sharing the photo of the partially disassembled lens. I have fungal growth in the rear element of mine and thought the rear element assembly was 'sealed' in. Perhaps it isn't and maybe I can disassemble and clean??

Last edited by Wild Mark; 08-18-2018 at 08:29 PM.
08-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have insurance, of course, but the deductible is probably more than a used lens. I’ll have to ask my agent. It’s under my business policy and I have no idea what the deductible is for my electronics inland marine coverage

Maybe if I include my 16-50 that’s become effectively a 16-35 after my wife dropped it on the floor of the car (never bothered fixing it because I don’t really like it that much and only use it when I need a wide angle in rain/mist) it’ll end up being worth a claim, but I doubt it.
08-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow I'm really sorry. Maybe invest in a pelican type box to travel around with and have at home.

08-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I had similar happen to a Nikon F2s once. It survived a car accident where it was catapulted into the windshield, and then somehow ended up under the clutch pedal, only to quit working some six months later for no apparent reason.
08-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Wow I'm really sorry. Maybe invest in a pelican type box to travel around with and have at home.
I have something like that, but this isnít exactly a situation where it would have been helpful, because I wouldnít have been using it anyway.

This stupid business trip (Iíve been in rural Minnesota for a month and because of the Canadian wildfires I havenít even gotten any decent astrophotography out of it) will finally be over Friday and Iíll be back in a semblance of civilization, so I can deal with repair quotes and so on then.