Pentaxian

Great news.

12-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
picked up the lens today at the local UPS depo,

[ arranged to do that because I wasn't sure when I would be home to sign for package if delivered by truck tomorrow ]

shipped very nicely:

double boxed, about 14 feet of large bubble wrap in the outer box, about 4 feet of large bubble wrap in inner box, lens itself in bubble wrapped bag

" Explanation of Repairs:

A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs

auto focus test, check, recalibration and realignment

general test, check, clean and repair all functions and systems

description of parts used:

AF unit and associated parts
focus ring
Outer parts and aperture "

note, the repaired lens has a different serial number - " Attention due to replacement of certain parts on your unit, it now has a new serial number "

could they have just given me a new lens?

looks very good, I'm busy so not sure when I will get to try it out

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.
12-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
note, the repaired lens has a different serial number - " Attention due to replacement of certain parts on your unit, it now has a new serial number "

could they have just given me a new lens?

looks very good, I'm busy so not sure when I will get to try it out
Possible, but perhaps the SN is branded into the on-board chip which could have been replaced with the "AF unit and associated parts"
12-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
trying to get answer from Precision, if new lens, I want to try to convince them I should have the 1 year warranty that comes with a new lens as opposed to the 90 day warranty for repaired lens

[ never hurts to ask politely ]

SN: jumped almost 6000 increase in SN

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-11-2018 at 03:12 PM.
12-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #35
Pentaxian

That's interesting. I'll see if they do the same with my 150-450. Haven't heard back yet.

I wonder if they are working to increase the turnaround and productivity of the repair shop. Have a bunch of refurbished copies on hand, do repairs on a bunch of the same model lenses when you get enough to fix. You set up parts and repair procedures for that model, do them then move on to the next.

One offs are difficult and expensive to do well.
12-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
if you don't mind, keep us posted on your situation as it progresses

thanks
12-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #37

trying to get answer from Precision, if new lens, I want to try to convince them I should have the 1 year warranty that comes with a new lens as opposed to the 90 day warranty for repaired lens

[ never hurts to ask politely ]

SN: jumped almost 6000 increase in SN
FWIW the K-1ii upgrade only has a six month warranty, but then I don't recall anyone who has had the upgrade has said the serial number has changed. You would think that with such a major change - new mainboard - that the SN would change. Perhaps the repair center can transfer the SN on the ROM.

But as you say there is no harm in asking politely. As the saying goes: If you don't ask, you don't get.

12-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
. . . Perhaps the repair center can transfer the SN on the ROM.

But as you say there is no harm in asking politely. As the saying goes: If you don't ask, you don't get.
I'll bite:

ROM ???
12-12-2018, 05:27 AM   #39

I'll bite:

ROM ???
Read Only Memory (data burned into a chip)
12-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Read Only Memory (data burned into a chip)
thanks

that is what I thought but wasn't sure

I am confused by technology

I've barely mastered touch typing and use of paper and pen/pencil
12-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
heard back from Precision,

they say not new lens and warranty period is 90 days

well, the phone calls were free so I didn't lose anything by asking
12-15-2018, 03:28 PM - 3 Likes   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
will be calling Precision on Monday

got out today to try the repaired lens

still has the same problem as I did before I sent it in for repair:

Operator Error

[ I'll keep trying to improve ]

other than that, the repaired autofocus and manual focus operated flawlessly and silently

I always compliment when I get good service and complain when I don't so I will call and say thanks personally

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
02-18-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

I sent my 150-450 in for repair a while ago. The tripod mount was loose, and I dunked the whole thing under water (a swampy pond), it inhaled a bit of water and there are a few marks on one of the front elements where the dirty water evaporated.

I sent it in to Sun Cameras in Concord Ontario, the official Pentax repair shop. They couldn't do the repair, sent it to Japan for an estimate.

The estimate came back for $1638.50. $1300 for Japan, $150 shipping and handling, and GST on the whole thing $188.50. This is Canadian Dollar. Take the taxes off, multiply by .75, and the repair costs 1087.50 USD.

They will replace the mount, repair water damage and calibrate focus. I have to put +8 offset in the K1.
Ouch.

To replace the lens is $2500 CAD. I could get it back for the shipping and handling charge, but the tripod mount is going to break.

So I ordered the repair and it will show up in a couple weeks. It will be like new.

I expected about $1000 or so, but oh well.

I take solace watching trucks with expensive snowmobiles going by, sometimes two or three of them. My hobby is quite reasonable in comparison.

If you have a 150-450 on your camera, and you are falling in a lake, throw it onto the beach. Or don't fall in the lake.
03-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I sent my 150-450 in for repair a while ago. The tripod mount was loose, and I dunked the whole thing under water (a swampy pond), it inhaled a bit of water and there are a few marks on one of the front elements where the dirty water evaporated.

I sent it in to Sun Cameras in Concord Ontario, the official Pentax repair shop. They couldn't do the repair, sent it to Japan for an estimate.

The estimate came back for $1638.50. $1300 for Japan, $150 shipping and handling, and GST on the whole thing $188.50. This is Canadian Dollar. Take the taxes off, multiply by .75, and the repair costs 1087.50 USD.

They will replace the mount, repair water damage and calibrate focus. I have to put +8 offset in the K1.
Ouch.

To replace the lens is $2500 CAD. I could get it back for the shipping and handling charge, but the tripod mount is going to break.

So I ordered the repair and it will show up in a couple weeks. It will be like new.

I expected about $1000 or so, but oh well.

I take solace watching trucks with expensive snowmobiles going by, sometimes two or three of them. My hobby is quite reasonable in comparison.

If you have a 150-450 on your camera, and you are falling in a lake, throw it onto the beach. Or don't fall in the lake.
I got my 150-450 today. Everything looks fine. New tripod mount and the lens elements cleaned up. I'll test it tomorrow.

A rather long drawn out procedure, but I have it just in time for the spring migrations.
04-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #45
Unregistered User

You know when you deal with someone else's contractor (which is what Precision is to Ricoh when acting as Ricoh's front-man for warranty service), you don't have the same relationship with them as when they're acting as YOUR contractor. They have a duty to their "employer" and you're dealing with them only as Ricoh's agent. I.e., when you send a lens in for warranty service to someone like Precision, you're not forming a relationship with Precision such that they'd owe you any explanations; your relationship is with Ricoh, and Precision answers only to Ricoh. Entirely different behavior from Precision when you send in a lens for repair as Precision's paying customer.