Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D FA* 70-200mm repair information needed

My HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW isn't working properly. it won't focus and there is a " grinding " sound I don't like at all

I bought it from a forum member and it has no warranty

looking for ideas on how to get an estimate on its repair and what it would cost just to get an estimate and where to send it. I live in Topeka Kansas

any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful

one other thing, apparently there are a couple of forum members who might be interested if I decide to part with the tripod foot for the lens, it reputably fits both this lens and the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW.

can anyone confirm that

anyone have an idea as to the fair market value for such an item?

10-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You should get a repair quote from Precision (see the sticky in this forum). As for the tripod food, I'd say somewhere in the $50-100 range would be fair. It's virtually impossible to source on its own, so should be an easy sell. Also, Precision can sell you one if you send the lens in anyway, so you could profit a little that way

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

You could give these guys a try. English might be a problem but somebody there must read the email. You'd have to take care of shipping yourself.

Lens Repair Co. run by Retired Pentax Engineers - PentaxForums.com
10-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW isn't working properly.

one other thing, apparently there are a couple of forum members who might be interested if I decide to part with the tripod foot for the lens, it reputably fits both this lens and the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW.

can anyone confirm that
Correct the O-TM80 Tripod Mount fits them both, I have neither but looked it up.

10-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just got off the phone with Precision,

1 they indicated that if I send in the lens for evaluation, I can obtain an estimate and decline repair and have it mailed back to me for the cost of return shipping

2 there would be a minimum charge should I ask for the lens to be repaired and it is possible that the cost of repair could exceed that minimum and I would have to pay the cost of the actual repair

and there would be the additional cost of return shipping

there is no cost for the evaluation service

so it is now on the way to Precision

posts wishing me good luck will be appreciated greatly

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-02-2018 at 08:14 AM.
10-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck! let's hope it is an easy fix.
10-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
update for anyone who wants to know

I sent the lens off to Precision via UPS, the cost of insuring it shocked me, and it arrived early, on Friday

asked for estimate cost of repair before any work is done

checked status via web site and it said " in repair "

called 1 860 272 2100 and was told that they would check on exact status and call me back

told me that it might take a day or two

I have read stories about how hard it is to contact a person at Precision, all I can say is that I have called them twice and had no problems at all after working through the menu

10-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
newest update

not good news

Precision cannot give me an estimate of cost of repair, lens will be shipped to factory ( Japan ?? ) and estimate for repair obtained there

then if I approve repair, it would be 5- 6 weeks before I get it back

told that I would not be charged for cost of shipping from Japan, only from Precision

wondering if the price of the lens will go down any more and if so, should I spring for a new lens with full warranty as opposed to the 90 day warranty after repair has been done

any thoughts ?
10-18-2018, 04:11 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
contacted Precision yesterday, ( 10/ 17/18 ) they haven't shipped my lens to Japan yet, they are checking on why

contacted Precision again today, 10/22/18 despite repeated requests for updates by customer service to the " people who know " no response to the requests are noted in my file, all they can tell me is that they will check again,

I am starting to change my opinion about them

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-22-2018 at 08:25 AM.
10-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
contacted Precision today, told the lens was shipped out to Japan today

now I wait to see what is next
11-02-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
contacted Precision again today 11/2

they confirmed that the lens arrived in Japan on 10/31

normal process is the review and estimate of cost of repair sent to Precision who will then contact me

hopefully I will learn something in the next 10 days they say
11-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

such a long process...
11-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any updates to this very discouraging thread? Thanks, Aslyfox, for telling us about your distressing experience.
11-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #14
Unregistered User

I have one of those, also purchased used, but luckily with a 90 day warranty. In my case, I was holding the camera up by the strap after having removed the lens from the tripod, and the lens fell off its mounting plate - that is, the mounting plate was still mated to the body, but the lens had separated from it (and fell about a foot when it did). Turns out the mounting plate is supposed to be held in place by five little teeny-weeny screws that attach to a plastic plate inside the back of the lens. Two of those screws were missing (which I'd never noticed) and the other three had pulled loose. It's gone back to be fixed, as well. I guess I need to implement a "no big, heavy lens shall be separately unsupported" rule. If I can't hold both the body and the camera up, then I'll have to set them both down while I do whatever other single-handed activity may be required.
11-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just checked with Precision, 11/12, no news the system says it is still in Japan, awaiting or undergoing review

On long heavy lens, perhaps

Lens Loops - System Connector | OP/TECH USA

or something similar might help to secure the lens itself ??

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.