Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LX Sticky Mirror Temporary Workround Advice Needed

Hello,

I ended up boughting a good-looking LX (but with sticky mirror) at a very good price. I had no problem with the sticky mirror because it was stated in the listing I will have it CLAed anyway. However Eric will be fully booked on the LX model for some time, and I want to start using it in the meantime (so that I will be able to give a better description when I send it in). Are there any suggestions on temporary workarounds of the sluggish mirror? Currently the mirror sticks if it gets sit for some time, but frees up if I exercise the MLU function several times. I have tried the pencil lead fix but it seems to not work very well (or I might have applied it in the wrong place).

Sincerely

10-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Here's something you could try:

How to Fix a Ceased/"stuck" Mirror on a Pentax ES Spotmatic: 8 Steps

Worked for me on a Spotmatic. After doing it once a year ago (or so) with no problems since, it started sticking on me again during a trip last summer. Rather than lose all the photo ops, I purchased a set of miniature screwdrivers and some 3-in-1 oil at a dollar store, went back to the motel and had it up and running again in 15-minutes.
10-09-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Currently the mirror sticks if it gets sit for some time, but frees up if I exercise the MLU function several times. I have tried the pencil lead fix but it seems to not work very well (or I might have applied it in the wrong place).
This is what mine would do, I also tried the pencil lead trick to seemingly no avail, until I left it for a few months using the MX instead. I either left it with the shutter un-cocked or with the mirror locked up (can't remember now but I imagine I left it with the mirror off the bumper).

But anyway since going back to it the mirror has not stuck once, who knows if this had anything to do with the pencil lead or not and if it would ever work again, but it worked for me. Something to consider if you plan to not use it for a while.
10-12-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be aware that when this symptom appears often focus is no longer accurate.
The only solution is to replace the mirror stops.

Chris

10-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Be aware that when this symptom appears often focus is no longer accurate.
The only solution is to replace the mirror stops.

Chris
Yeah, I just realized that.
10-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #6

Replace mirror bumps on LX

Is there any reference to instructions to replace the mirror bump and recalibrate the mirror angle? What material is to be used for the bump and the thickness?
10-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by huge10 Quote
Is there any reference to instructions to replace the mirror bump and recalibrate the mirror angle? What material is to be used for the bump and the thickness?
I had to do an emergency repair on one of mine. I ended up using a very small cube of rubber from an old motorcycle inner tube for the bumper. I glued it in with contact cement. I adjusted the stop by trial and error. It held for many years. I eventually sent all three of my LX bodies to Pentax Canada and had all the rubber replaced as well as the resistors that are subject to corrosion. That was in about 2004 or so. Of course I haven’t used them since.