Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Isn't it standard procedure for them to issue a repair estimate and then verify that the warranty will cover it, rather than the other way around?
Yes, it is if I send the camera in for repair. But I made it clear that it had no problem and was for calibrating the lens.
Funny part is, they found the camera needs repair!

Communication is of course a big problem here. But the problem is more than that. If they can claim "AF block replacement " on a working camera (I of course will send a good working camera for calibration), how can I trust them for other repair service?

BTW, after so many emails, calls, voice messages, and Ricoh's help, I finally will get the lens and camera back. But I never get a message saying sorry. That also says something.

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
But did they do anything with the lens?
I am not sure! as said, I don't trust them any more. Will find out tomorrow.

To be honest, I am worrying about the camera more. I am fried them have messed it up to support their statement. They still didn't reply to my email, in which I asked if they changed anything on my camera.
I clearly said in the request form that "please don't change the setting of the camera, other than changing AF adjustment of that lens from -10 to 0".

Last edited by grahame; 11-01-2018 at 07:04 AM.
11-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Ricoh knows what happened. I called them and they generated a case for that.

I will inspect the K3II after I get it back. If it comes back with any problem, I will try what you suggested.
A Person at Ricoh knows what happened. If I was a betting man, I would bet the department head doesn't know what happened in your case, unless the department head is the person that called precision to tell them they screwed up.

Sometimes, you just need to go over a department head and complain to the higher ups.
11-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Sometimes, you just need to go over a department head and complain to the higher ups.
Yes, I agree.

I was communicating with the "Senior Customer Experience Manager" from precision camera. He helped straightening things in the past. He left 3 weeks ago and I can not find another one higher than the person behind customer service line now.

I will contact Ricoh and Precision regrading this case, after I get my gear back.

If any of you knows anyone in RICOH or Precision that I can talk to, please PM me their #. Thanks
11-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

World wide list. Scroll for the United States.
US

KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

11-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, I was horrified when they told me my K3II's AF block needed to be replaced and sent me a bill of $360. -- How can I trust them in the future?
I guess the question is whether the AF block showed a fault during their diagnostics. With any luck, they will provide details regarding diagnosis and work done.

I'm glad it all got figured out and that you were not charged, and perplexed that Precision and Ricoh have still not gotten the details of their "partnering" ironed out. In the past, the blame was firmly with Ricoh dropping the ball on warranty requests, though with assistance from Precision not having a clear mechanism to flag work requiring auth in a timely manner.

Steve

(...in all fairness, the last interactions I had with Precision were during a huge blizzard that shut down the region...the CSR had walked to work...)
11-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess the question is whether the AF block showed a fault during their diagnostics.
If they did find any problem on the camera, I would expect they:
1: tell me and Ricoh that the testing camera I sent in did have problem, and give us the details on the issue. --- I might be able to claim a shipping damage if the camera dies in shipping. I paid full insurance for both lens and camera.
2: Tell me that my request of "calibrating my lens using provided K3II" could not be done due to the issue they found on K3II.
3: Offer me the option to get the camera repaired, and them calibrate my lens after. Or calibrate my lens using their standard camera and procedure.

But I got nothing above. I was fist asked to pay for the repair of K3II, and then after Ricoh stepped in, I was told lens was out of repair and was shipped back to me with the camera -- I would guess my K3II is still fine.

Will see tomorrow.

assistance from Precision not having a clear mechanism to flag work requiring auth in a timely manner
This time is clearly not timing issue. It is really a scamming if my K3II is fine.
11-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #22

But I got nothing above. I was fist asked to pay for the repair of K3II, and then after Ricoh stepped in, I was told lens was out of repair and was shipped back to me with the camera -- I would guess my K3II is still fine.
They wouldn't do any repairs until you approved and paid them first.

The State Attorney General is not going to do anything unless you lost money by paying Precision.

11-01-2018, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

When I am reading this kind of horror stories, I wonder if the service people are speaking the same language as the customer who sends in their stuff. I know from my job that it can be difficult to find out what a customer is talking about, but if there is a written statement, service should bother reading it. If something is unclear, go back to the customer and clarify. Yes, this is tedious but it's part of the job. Am I too old school?
11-02-2018, 02:35 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The issue is communication. I've used Precision a couple of times for both in warranty and out of warranty work. Standard procedure for out of warranty work is for them to tell you a cost for fixing your item and then leave it up to you to decide whether to proceed or not. They certainly won't charge you without your permission.
11-02-2018, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #25

If you look at other threads concerning Precision you'll see they have a history of ignoring notes or special instructions included in the package, even when attached to the equipment.

Purely speculating, I would guess a minimum wage worker in shipping and receiving just opens the parcel, looks for paperwork with the repair order number, looks for warranty and proof purchase, prints out a ticket/label and puts the equipment and above paperwork in a small bin/tray and tosses out all the rest with the packaging. That's all they are trained to do.

Since the lens exhibited the AF problem on all the bodies I would have made the assumption that Precision would be able to reproduce the problem on one of their bodies or test rig. I wouldn't have sent in a body unless asked specifically asked for or the problem was isolated to a particular lens and body combination.

Again, the State AG is unlikely to do anything:
1. a third party (RIcoh) is already involved
2. There was no loss, unless Precision damaged the K-3ii
3. In which case see (1) above.
11-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
got the lens and camera back.
Lens is working fine now.
Camera works fine, but was reset. I have to test and set AF adjustment for all the lenses again. I don't remember which one needs adjustment and how much. A lot of time and hundreds of shutter clicks.

Again, no reply from Precision.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There was no loss
There was a charge if I only denied camera repair: $18.50 diagnostic fee + shipping.
I called and emailed, they still held repair and wait for payment.
Until Ricoh stepped in, and they cancel the charge and shipped it back to me.
11-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Camera works fine, but was reset.
Did they replace the AF module or do the requested low-level AF tune to your lens? If so, either might explain the reset.

Steve
11-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did they replace the AF module or do the requested low-level AF tune to your lens? If so, either might explain the reset.
They didn't replace the AF block, I believe. At least it is not shown on the repair report. The report of the camera only shows "cleaning".
They don't have to reset the camera to calibrate the lens. And actually the lens still need a little adjustment on K3II. I just received a surgery on my neck, and am not allowed to lift anything heavy or to bend neck. So I haven't calibrate it yet. But I know it is slightly off.

The worst part is: they somehow changed the camera AF behavior: DA 200, which I remember did not need AF adjustment, needs some fine turn now. So does DA 16-50. I can not test all the lenses now but it becomes a different camera for sure. AF still works, but needs calibration. So I feel they must have done something to the camera. AF accuracy wise, this K3II was my most satisfying camera before I send it out. K1 is gone, and I plan to use 150-450 primarily on K3II.