Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soligor / Tamron 450mm F8 T-Mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All, I picked up one of these: Tamron 880 ( soligor ) preset t-mount 450mm f8 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database for $20, as the aperture is stuck at F11. It seems to me that some people had taken this lens apart rather easily for cleaning and repairs. I have a lens spanner wrench and appropriate attachments. Does anyone have any experience with this lens they'd be willing to share? Thank you!

11-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you can see from the pic the lens separates right by the preset aperture. You probably don't need to disassemble further, (update the aperture rings are liable to slip off by themselves so might as well do that, watch out for the ball bearing) it is usually sufficient to dip the end in solvent - I use coleman fuel - until the gummed up blades loosen and can be delicately brushed/wiped and opened/closed to make sure the movement is free.

If there is is a streak of gunge from the helicoid due to deteriorated lubricant (which is how the blades got gummed up in the first place) then a full repair would be to clean and relube the helocoid as well.

addendum I am aware I need to re-upload many of my pics in the reviews...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-08-2018 at 07:13 AM.
11-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Marcus - thank you so much!
11-10-2018, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're welcome.
Decent lens btw - at least the first example I had was, the second (in the pic) wasn't as sharp. But I prefer the 400 f6.9's.

11-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
You're welcome.
Decent lens btw - at least the first example I had was, the second (in the pic) wasn't as sharp. But I prefer the 400 f6.9's.
These: Tamron preset, T-mount ( Nestar ) 400mm f6.9. Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database ?
11-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. I rate the 400 f6.9's the best of the 1960's type "wundertute" telephotos. But the later tokina made soligor/vivitar 400mm f6.3's are very close.
11-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes. I rate the 400 f6.9's the best of the 1960's type "wundertute" telephotos. But the later tokina made soligor/vivitar 400mm f6.3's are very close.
Okay - help me out here - "wundertute" is "Wonderbag?"

How do you think the 400mm of the two types you describe compare to the 30-600 Adaptall SP with the TC?

---------- Post added 11-11-18 at 08:50 AM ----------

Also, do you think these are the same?

Soligor 400mm telephoto lens | eBay

BUSHNELL 400MM F6.3 AUTOMATIC LENS M42 TELEPHOTO | eBay

Vivitar Auto 400mm f/6.3 Lens {72} | eBay

TELE- ASTRANAR SKYLIGHT #72883 camera 400mm lens w case | eBay

Vivitar Auto Telephoto 400mm 1:6.3 Lens | eBay

400mm Tele- Astranar f6.3 Camera Lens for Miranda 44 mm Screw Mount* | eBay

11-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
"wundertute" is "Wonderbag?"
wonder tube ie simple achromatic design

Also, do you think these are the same?
Not the tele-astranars thats just a reseller generic t-mount, unknown manufacturer. The rest are all tokinas, most are T4/TX (= same) mount (bushnell looks like fixed mount, not seen a bushnell one before actually, optomax's are not uncommon). Note the tx's can be id'ed by the double set of coloured f numbers on the aperture ring and the protruding release catch mount on the side. Side on they look a bit like a cfd mount. The removable mounts all have id letters on; PK, OM etc Most common T4/TX mount is M42, look around for a PK. FYI note links

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-rmc-400mm-f63.html

$35 is a very decent price imo... (but no mount). KEH one <20 bargain!

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.
11-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
wonder tube ie simple achromatic design

Not the tele-astranars thats just a no-name generic t-mount, unknown manufacturer. The rest are all tokinas, most are TX mount (bushnell looks like fixed mount, not seen a bushnell one before actually, optomax's are not uncommon). Note the tx's can be id'ed by the double set of coloured f numbers on the aperture ring and the protruding release catch mount on the side. Side on they look a bit like a cfd mount. The removable mounts all have id letters on; PK, OM etc
$35 is a very decent price imo... (but no mount).
Yeah - Tele-Astranar seems to be generic, re here: Preset, t-mount (Tele-Astranar, Impakt, Photax...) 400mm F6.3 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Do you think the Bushnell IS one of the Tokinas?

The KEH one seems like a decent deal.

I'm still trying to decide if my Sigma TC with one of these will be better than my 60-300 SP with 2x TC.[COLOR="Silver"]

Or, I can save up for one of these bigmas: Sigma 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database :P

Last edited by jawats; 11-11-2018 at 10:18 AM.
11-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you think the Bushnell IS one of the Tokinas?
Yes I'm pretty sure thats a tok - only the toks have hoods IME

m still trying to decide if my Sigma TC with one of these will be better than my 60-300 SP with 2x TC.
I wouldn't use any of these old designs with tc's! The point of comparison is 300mm + 1.4x tc against straight 400mm.. adaptall 23A is a good lens but I would expect one of the good 400's to edge it. i have gone off 2x tc's pretty much completely except occasionally with my 300mm f2.8 - a different calibre of lens to what we are discussing.

If you can get that bigma for 300 bucks, or even $170! (good luck, fact is there are plenty of pentax users looking for these, I would normally expect prices to be nearer or above 500 ), then that's your answer. A relatively modern lens, AF. But you can't knock decent pics for $20...

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.
11-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes thats a tok

I wouldn't use any of these old designs with tc's! The point of comparison is 300mm + 1.4x tc against straight 400mm.. adaptall 23A is a good lens but I would expect one of the good 400's to edge it. i have gone off 2x tc's pretty much completely except occasionally with my 300mm f2.8 - a different calibre of lens to what we are discussing.

If you can get that bigma for 300 bucks, or even $170! (good luck, fact is there are plenty of pentax users looking for these, I would normally expect prices to be nearer or above 500 ), then that's your answer. A relatively modern lens, AF. But you can't knock decent pics for $20...
Thank you, Marcus! Much appreciate the advice, as always....

Also, I have found that the 60-300 with the T/C is exceptionally clear for what it is.
11-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

014F does well. And one big advantage of the 23A + tc is the much closer focussing.
11-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
014F does well. And one big advantage of the 23A + tc is the much closer focussing.
Marcus,

Well, I got it, took it apart easily - the aperture immediately came out (as you mentioned. Now I have a bunch of little vanes and I'm not quite sure how to reassemble. I suppose, equally importantly, I have no idea how to relubricate after I clean with lighter fluid. The blades are dry (not oily) but do appear to have some gunk buildup on them.

Thoughts? Thanks!
11-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah well I did suggest not disassembling the blades, just dipping it all in solvent....
Reassembly is by relaying the blades in situ, carefully tucking in the last one or two blades, then replacing the housing on top without dislodging the whole lot... thnk of it as a zen exercise or st
11-17-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah well I did suggest not disassembling the blades, just dipping it all in solvent....
Reassembly is by relaying the blades in situ, carefully tucking in the last one or two blades, then replacing the housing on top without dislodging the whole lot... thnk of it as a zen exercise or st
Marcus,

You did! And when I look inside it, it looks like the stuck blades issue is because someone else was noodling inside there already. Hence, as soon as I unscrewed the lens, they flew out. Question: if the lens is large end / cap side down, do the blades go in first, or the mechanism that looks like a large wheel with notches cut in it? See photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo