Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Question about KEH warranty... am I going crazy?

I have a Bower (samyang) 14mm I bought from KEH still within the warranty period. This lens has some significant decentering in the bottom left corner so I've contacted them and they simply refuse to do a cash return, saying that they will only attempt to repair the lens. I've had this lens in for repair once already and I do not want to have a lens out of commission for weeks just to MAYBE fix this problem. This lens was sold to me "like new".

The weird thing is this isn't my first time having to go through KEH warranty. I've had a Tamron 17-50 and a couple other lenses not be quite up to what they've labeled, and all those times they have offered me either a repair OR a return, and this was months into ownership. So I need to know if I'm going crazy, is this your experience with KEH as well or did they only give you the repair ultimatum for things after 14 days?

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-16-2018 at 06:48 PM.
11-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally I have found KEH to be fair and responsive. Not sure what may be going on in this instance. If it was serviced once and that did not correct the decentering I am not sure what they could do a second time.
11-16-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #3

If your return to keeper ratio is high they might begin to classify you as a bad customer. This may be one way for them to discourage you from doing further business with them. Seems to be working. A lot of companies will do something similar.
11-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If your return to keeper ratio is high they might begin to classify you as a bad customer. This may be one way for them to discourage you from doing further business with them. Seems to be working. A lot of companies will do something similar.

11-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Not exactly my fault they can't check their products correctly. I've had more overall success with random people on ebay.
11-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Not exactly my fault they can't check their products correctly. I've had more overall success with random people on ebay.
I've always received items that were better than they were rated by KEH. Guess I'm lucky.
11-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've always received items that were better than they were rated by KEH. Guess I'm lucky.
I think it's inevitable given how high volume KEH is. You're either going to score high or low.

In my case I'm probably just unlucky, I've certainly gotten good things from KEH like my M lenses or my 40xs.

11-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well certainly decentering is common for the Samyang 14mm. Mine was badly decentered and eventually I got a credit from the supplier (Samyang said it was in spec but it was completely useless for landscape use, even stopped down and would be a lot worse if you were in to astro photography). As I can't find a local supplier that will allow me to return a copy for replacement if they are badly decentered, I have given up trying to get one.
I'm not very fussy either, as this is the first lens I just ever had to return with a problem. Generally I don't expect lenses to be perfect but I do expect them to be fit for purpose.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 11-16-2018 at 09:23 PM.
11-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

My experience with used lens dealers is that they grade things based on a relatively quick check. They look for chipped glass, fungus, etc. They move focus and zoom rings to check for smoothness. They might take a few test photos, but they do not pixel peep.

KEH's website says returns within 14 days, after that repair warranty applies. If they already tried repair, though, and can't fix it, then I feel that they should issue a refund or exchange, unless they can prove the problem was your fault (such as dropping the lens).
11-17-2018, 03:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To be fair to all involved, the Samyang ultra wides are known to have decentring issues. Even when brand new, it happens. I would press for an exchange, as a refund seems to be off the table.
11-17-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #11

A bad or unlucky customer pretty much amounts to the same thing to a business if you become more trouble than it's worth.

There have been other complaints about KEH over-rating the condition so you are not alone in that respect.

The only time I returned something to KEH was a Minolta focusing rail that was missing a part that frequently gets lost. Otherwise it had unexpected extras like the original box and paper work. Everything else I've bought from them was actually under-rated (IMO) condition-wise. The returned rail was better than rated too.

---------- Post added 11-17-18 at 04:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
To be fair to all involved, the Samyang ultra wides are known to have decentring issues. Even when brand new, it happens. I would press for an exchange, as a refund seems to be off the table.
As I recall one or two PF members said they had to go through two or three returns (new purchase) before they got a good copy.

So if they come from the factory de-centered then the "like new" rating could be accurate
11-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've only had one experience buying a lens from KEH and it was positive. I also purchased the Bower (Samyang) 14mm, but purchased it from B&H. My first copy was de-centered and I returned it for a second one which was good.
11-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I returned one of the lenses I purchased from KEH and they were decent but did take a while to process my card refund, but I think that is due to lack of personnel. But the decentering is why I would not even consider one that is for sale here since it says no returns and the decentering issue is well established on the UWA Samyangs.
11-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would expect them to honor a return request (item not as described) for condition issues, but manufacturing defect on a used lens is another matter. If they are willing and able to correct the problem under warranty, that would be super cool and worth considering IMHO.

Steve
11-20-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would expect them to honor a return request (item not as described) for condition issues, but manufacturing defect on a used lens is another matter. If they are willing and able to correct the problem under warranty, that would be super cool and worth considering IMHO.

Steve
Yes I'm sending it in for the repair. The 4 week turnaround is a bit daunting but they did promise that if this does not fix the issue they will refund me.