Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does Pentax not offer a 2-year warranty for the UK?
Only if you buy through a "Pentax Pro" dealer, so far as I'm aware, Steve. An example of such would be SRS Microsystems (my dealer of choice on many occasions). It's one of the selling points to using these "Pro" dealers. With others, you have the one year warranty as standard, plus any additional supplier warranty if offered.

12-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think the point here, Steve, is that the camera is outside of Pentax warranty, but covered instead by the supplier's own warranty. I may be mistaken, but I believe that's the case given the length of time the OP has owned the camera...
Does Pentax not offer a 2-year warranty for the UK? The camera was purchased January 2017.

Steve
OK...I just reviewed the Pentax UK warranty terms and it appears that the oft-cited 2-year warranty is a statutory right and not granted by Pentax EU. Did I get that right?

Steve
12-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Only if you buy through a "Pentax Pro" dealer, so far as I'm aware, Steve. An example of such would be SRS Microsystems (my dealer of choice on many occasions). It's one of the selling points to using these "Pro" dealers. With others, you have the one year warranty as standard, plus any additional supplier warranty if offered.
So complex. Thanks for the additional information.

Steve
12-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK...I just reviewed the Pentax UK warranty terms and it appears that the oft-cited 2-year warranty is a statutory right and not granted by Pentax EU. Did I get that right?
So complex. Thanks for the additional information.
No worries

There have been some legal challenges here in the UK based on the fact that other European states - Germany, for example - commonly expect and are typically protected by - this two year warranty, but it's by no means standard here and there's no standard guarantee of it. Typically, standard warranties in the UK are one year only. Everything after that is at the manufacturer's discretion.

12-02-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh have "ceased" supplying their products to many retailers in the UK. They have even stopped supplying London Camera Exchange. I suspect in JL's eyes, they cannot give you a replacement if they no longer stock that brand. Also if Ricoh have stopped their supply, they may not be able to get a repair done through them directly.

Not sure how much you have been offered but SRS are still offering the K70 at 395 and Ricoh have it in their store at 399.99. A shame JL are unlikely to send the camera back if they refund because it is quite easy to fix the aperture block problem. But to be honest, if they are offering close to the current "reduced" price of the K70, you might want to upgrade. It is a better camera. You would also then have another 2 years warranty.
12-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Ricoh have "ceased" supplying their products to many retailers in the UK. They have even stopped supplying London Camera Exchange.
Can I ask, Kim, do you have a definitive source of information confirming this?

I can understand why it might be the other way around - i.e. retailers choosing not to stock Pentax gear because the volume of sales and / or the terms and conditions with the distributor. This is what happened with Camera World a couple of years back, for example. But I've heard nothing that suggests Ricoh Imaging has "ceased" supplying to many retailers. It's possible, of course, and if there's an official source that says so, that would be news indeed...
12-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to agree with @BigMackCam.

An offer of your money back after two years is a good offer to the OP. I'd suggest you take it OP and buy a new camera. (Or a secondhand one of your choice)
12-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I ask, Kim, do you have a definitive source of information confirming this?

I can understand why it might be the other way around - i.e. retailers choosing not to stock Pentax gear because the volume of sales and / or the terms and conditions with the distributor. This is what happened with Camera World a couple of years back, for example. But I've heard nothing that suggests Ricoh Imaging has "ceased" supplying to many retailers. It's possible, of course, and if there's an official source that says so, that would be news indeed...

Only from the Managers of the 2 local branches of LCE. I used to order all my Pentax stuff through them but they can no longer get it even on special order. That is all I wish to say in public. If you want more details by all means PM me.

12-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only from the Managers of the 2 local branches of LCE. I used to order all my Pentax stuff through them but they can no longer get it even on special order. Apparently, the turnover of Ricoh items fell below what Ricoh expected and they ceased LCE's trade account. That is all I wish to say in public. If you want more details by all means PM me.
Thanks, Kim. I don't doubt any of that, and it makes absolute sense. LCE (and the mom and pop shops it acquired, including here in the North East) have never been a volume seller of new Pentax equipment - at least, not during my time in the hobby. I wouldn't be surprised if any manufacturer or distributor should close trade accounts with retailers that consistently aren't selling enough product. That's exactly what happened with Camera World some time back. Similarly, I'd expect any retailer producing good numbers to maintain decent on-going relationships with the manufacturer and distributor - and that appears to be happening with the likes of SRS and others...
12-02-2018, 05:56 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Kim. I don't doubt any of that, and it makes absolute sense. LCE (and the mom and pop shops it acquired, including here in the North East) have never been a volume seller of new Pentax equipment - at least, not during my time in the hobby. I wouldn't be surprised if any manufacturer or distributor should close trade accounts with retailers that consistently aren't selling enough product. That's exactly what happened with Camera World some time back. Similarly, I'd expect any retailer producing good numbers to maintain decent on-going relationships with the manufacturer and distributor - and that appears to be happening with the likes of SRS and others...
One of the branches here was a "pro" centre for Pentax and did stock the bodies and quite a few lenses. They even tried to arrange a "pro" day with demo's etc but Ricoh were not interested. Their problem was not that they didn't "push" Pentax but more a lack of demand. On the other hand, there are regular Fuji, Canon and Nikon days. Regardless of how we feel about the Pentax brand, it has become a "niche" market in the UK. None of the big chains supply Ricoh products. Online, it is almost down to Amazon only and some of their stocks are sent in from the EU.

And to be honest, after my "problem" buying a 15-30 recently. I'm not sure how much longer I will support them. Had I not recently made a very big investment in new glass, I would be looking at another brand.
12-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the branches here was a "pro" centre for Pentax and did stock the bodies and quite a few lenses. They even tried to arrange a "pro" day with demo's etc but Ricoh were not interested. Their problem was not that they didn't "push" Pentax but more a lack of demand. On the other hand, there are regular Fuji, Canon and Nikon days. Regardless of how we feel about the Pentax brand, it has become a "niche" market in the UK. None of the big chains supply Ricoh products. Online, it is almost down to Amazon only and some of their stocks are sent in from the EU.

And to be honest, after my "problem" buying a 15-30 recently. I'm not sure how much longer I will support them. Had I not recently made a very big investment in new glass, I would be looking at another brand.
Understood I guess it still comes down to whether Ricoh felt it had much upside in supplying to LCE and keeping one of them as a "Pro" centre, based on the demand. Whatever the rights and wrongs, it obviously felt there wasn't enough upside, whereas dealers like SRS sell volume that makes it worth Ricoh's while. It's a shame, for sure, as I'd like to see every major camera store supplying Ricoh - but so long as I can buy what I need from SRS and the like, I'll be happy enough. We must all place our support where we feel most comfortable, but mine remains happily with Pentax for now and - I'd guess - the considerable future...
12-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Understood I guess it still comes down to whether Ricoh felt it had much upside in supplying to LCE and keeping one of them as a "Pro" centre, based on the demand. Whatever the rights and wrongs, it obviously felt there wasn't enough upside, whereas dealers like SRS sell volume that makes it worth Ricoh's while. It's a shame, for sure, as I'd like to see every major camera store supplying Ricoh - but so long as I can buy what I need from SRS and the like, I'll be happy enough. We must all place our support where we feel most comfortable, but mine remains happily with Pentax for now and - I'd guess - the considerable future...

6 weeks ago I would have said the same.
And after 45 years of being a very loyal fan, that is a hard thing to say. I think my website is testament to that.
12-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

6 weeks ago I would have said the same.
And after 45 years of being a very loyal fan, that is a hard thing to say. I think my website is testament to that.
Wherever you end up, Kim, and whichever brand you end up being loyal to next (Pentax or otherwise), I sincerely hope you find satisfaction. I like Pentax simply because I like Pentax. But I have no loyalty to any brand. I'm just a consumer who expects what he expects and votes with his feet if he doesn't get it and can't get it elsewhere. In these commercially turbulent and profit (rather than customer) focused times, that serves me pretty well. All I can go by is whether-or-not the brands I buy into serve me well enough at this moment in time. If they do, I'll continue to furnish them with my business. If and when they consistently don't, and if that should repeatedly affect my enjoyment of the hobby (or, should I ever be in the position, my business), I'll switch - with very little emotion involved, in all honesty. It would be a pain to have to unload all of my K-mount lenses and cameras, but it's doable - just unlikely, in my particular case
12-03-2018, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

OP. Read this;

What do I do if I have a faulty product? What are my rights?
12-03-2018, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To summarise:

The Pentax warranty has expired. As it is over 6 months since he bought it and doesn't want to get into having to "prove" the fault was a manufacturing defect from the outset, so relying on the 2015 Consumer Rights Act is not going to help him.

So he is relying on the 2 year john lewis warranty that is provided free on most electrical goods. Under this he is entitled to a repair, or if not possible a replacement. If a replacement is not possible then an equivalent product or it's selling price will be offered.

John Lewis no longer stock Pentax. The repair situation is I am sure also complicated by the fact that the official Pentax repairers went out of business a few months back. So they have offered him his purchase price back.

As I see it he has these options :

1. Accept the refund of the purchase price

2. Suggest to John Lewis that they try harder to get the camera repaired through the new Pentax Official repairers (details of which I supplied earlier).

3. Ask JL to pay him with the "current selling price" of the nearest equivalent to the K50 which is I believe the K70 and can be had for 395, although not of course at John Lewis.

I would be interested to know how much you actually paid for the camera originally? If it is close to 395 then I suggest take the refund and get a new K70 from somewhere like SRS.

As I said earlier, JL are a well respected store and I am sure they will sort you out correctly. Taking the refund would be the quickest way for you to get a new camera.