Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #76

Original Poster
Hi all,

that SRS K-70 is body only its 730 (530) with a kit lens.

JL have sort of messed up again and decided to send it back to the ( non Pentax) repairers for another quote without telling me, they said it would be there until New year even if a repair is agreed or not, they still adamantly claim that the camera was out of Pentax warranty despite my receipt from JL on giving them the camera clearly stating camera in manufacturer warranty!- so my new tactic is the fact that a repair should take a reasonable amount of time and if not a replacement should be offered.

I checked out the current JL 'budget ' options:

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-4000D-vs-Pentax-K-50
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D3500-vs-Pentax-K-50
Canon T7 vs Pentax K-50 Detailed Comparison

These all sell for around 400, the next jump up is to 500, only the Nikon D3500 seems comparable in the budget range. Going to see if i can negotiate towards a replacement cost - that said i dont think they will go for the idea that the K70 is the most recent version of the K-50 due to it being 700 even with cashback...

12-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chutzpah Quote
Hi all,

that SRS K-70 is body only its 730 (530) with a kit lens.

JL have sort of messed up again and decided to send it back to the ( non Pentax) repairers for another quote without telling me, they said it would be there until New year even if a repair is agreed or not, they still adamantly claim that the camera was out of Pentax warranty despite my receipt from JL on giving them the camera clearly stating camera in manufacturer warranty!- so my new tactic is the fact that a repair should take a reasonable amount of time and if not a replacement should be offered.

I checked out the current JL 'budget ' options:

Canon 4000D vs Pentax K-50 Detailed Comparison
Nikon D3500 vs Pentax K-50 Detailed Comparison
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T7-vs-Pentax-K-50+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk]Canon T7 vs Pentax K-50 Detailed Comparison[/url]

These all sell for around 400, the next jump up is to 500, only the Nikon D3500 seems comparable in the budget range. Going to see if i can negotiate towards a replacement cost - that said i dont think they will go for the idea that the K70 is the most recent version of the K-50 due to it being 700 even with cashback...
Errrr...there is nothing wrong with your lens ? They should only be expected to provide a new body.

Any time they come back to you with a contrary statement such as the validity of the Pentax warranty, don't be fobbed off. Give them a copy of the receipt and your correspondence directly with Pentax UK repairers proving your 2 year warranty.
12-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #78

Original Poster
They wont give me the lens back? not sure why they would as its part of the camera they sold? and they wont be giving me a Pentax camera because they dont sell them.

I could ask for the lens i guess...
12-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They wont give me the lens back? not sure why they would as its part of the camera they sold? and they wont be giving me a Pentax camera because they dont sell them.

I could ask for the lens i guess...
Oh gosh , this is becoming quite a saga

12-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #80

Original Poster
OK - so I've managed to get some movement from JL and we have come to a 'compromise' its not perfect but it means no more having to deal with it. As a result I am going to buy the k-70 body deal.

Could I ask is SRS still considered a better place to buy from in terms of warranty etc than Jessops?

Also I was advised before that an aperture issue doesn't affect the lens, only body?

Word of warning to UK shoppers, JL never took on board their responsibility to customers under manufacturer warranty. Personally I would never feel I could trust them in the future to ensure my statutory rights will be honoured. I wont be buying any 'big' items from them any more, some of the review sites have been scathing about them...
12-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK - so I've managed to get some movement from JL and we have come to a 'compromise' its not perfect but it means no more having to deal with it. As a result I am going to buy the k-70 body deal.

Could I ask is SRS still considered a better place to buy from in terms of warranty etc than Jessops?

Also I was advised before that an aperture issue doesn't affect the lens, only body?

Word of warning to UK shoppers, JL never took on board their responsibility to customers under manufacturer warranty. Personally I would never feel I could trust them in the future to ensure my statutory rights will be honoured. I wont be buying any 'big' items from them any more, some of the review sites have been scathing about them...
SRS is a Main Pentax Dealer and carries full stock across the entire range. I buy a lot from them. They also have a store where you can go and try out new kit.

Aperture Block failure is a camera problem. Nothing to do with a lens

Just to be clear on your last point, a retailer has no obligation to you relating to the manufacturers warranty. The manufacturers warranty is a pledge from the manufacturer to the consumer. It is not based on contract law because you have no contract with the manufacturer. The retailer has obligations to the consumer based on contract law and consumer rights legislation plus any retailer warranty they may offer.
12-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #82

Original Poster
They claimed I wasn't covered under warranty ( Pentax)
Sent it to a place not accredited by Pentax
Possibly voided the manufacturer warranty doing so
Refused to give me the camera back to send myself to Pentax, when I requested it and instead sent it back to the non accredited repairer for another 'assessment'
Claimed the cost of 'fixing it' was so much that they would refuse to do so ( despite it being free if they had sent it to Pentax accredited repairer)

So yes they did have a responsibility, maybe not in the statute you refer too but failing to send to the manufacturer for a FREE repair and instead claim the camera was a right off? err yes they did.

Anyway no point getting into a debate, JL didn't behave acceptably but now its sorted, and yes there are issues with them all over the Internet, its not just me...

off for Christmas now so Merry Xmas to everyone who contributed and helped me with this!
12-23-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They claimed I wasn't covered under warranty ( Pentax)
Sent it to a place not accredited by Pentax
Possibly voided the manufacturer warranty doing so
Refused to give me the camera back to send myself to Pentax, when I requested it and instead sent it back to the non accredited repairer for another 'assessment'
Claimed the cost of 'fixing it' was so much that they would refuse to do so ( despite it being free if they had sent it to Pentax accredited repairer)

So yes they did have a responsibility, maybe not in the statute you refer too but failing to send to the manufacturer for a FREE repair and instead claim the camera was a right off? err yes they did.

Anyway no point getting into a debate, JL didn't behave acceptably but now its sorted, and yes there are issues with them all over the Internet, its not just me...

off for Christmas now so Merry Xmas to everyone who contributed and helped me with this!
Glad to hear you have a reasonable result. I hope your new K-70 turns up quick. Happy shooting and Merry Christmas!