Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
based on my one experience with Precision, I can not complain

first contact by phone 10/1 about cost of repair of HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW - no warranty coverage

lens sent to them 10/2

repaired lens, after being sent to Japan for repair and then back to Precision, lens was received by me 12/11

only problem caused by " imprecise and confusing " documentation but that was cleared up by one phone call

all details at link I provided before
Two months to fix a lens and you can't complain about that.

If you were a pro photographer and had to wait two months for a work horse lens like that to get fixed why would you choose or stay with that brand?

12-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Two months to fix a lens and you can't complain about that.

If you were a pro photographer and had to wait two months for a work horse lens like that to get fixed why would you choose or stay with that brand?
I'm not complaining because the lens was returned to me in a shorter period of time than had been predicted

I'm not a pro but if my business was photography , I would plan on renting if a lens/camera goes down and I could not wait for a repair or perhaps have multiple copies of the lens/camera in my business inventory

not sure if the speed of repair or the company having an emergency rental program as has been mentioned by others, would over ride other benefits of the brand

YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-12-2018 at 06:59 PM.
06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #18

Unrealistic Expectations?

On May 15th Precision received my 55-300 for repair. In the weeks that followed all their online status showed was that it was received, and I could never talk to anyone. After a few minutes waiting on the phone I was told to leave a message. In early June I got through to someone who told me my lens was being sent to Pentax for repair (apparently, at that very moment, what was going on with it for a month is anyone's guess). A week later, I got through to someone who confirmed that it was, in fact sent, and that I had up to a 5 week wait ahead of me. This weekend I checked online and my status is flagged in red. There is a delay "check later or call". I'll call on Monday to see what's up. I used Nikon film equipment in my film days, and went to Nikon when I went digital. I've had Nikon stuff repaired many times. Most cities have authorized Nikon repair facilities, and if this were a Nikon lens I'm confident I'd have had a repaired lens back in my hands within 2 weeks of their receipt of it, with no expedited treatment. This is my 1st experience with Pentax repair. Now, I have a 60-250, so, am not suffering without my 55-300, except I do miss it hiking. I now am thinking what if this was my camera that needed repair, not a lens? Am I out of bounds here expecting a repair to be done in a couple of weeks, not 2 or more months? I have a K-70, and was considering adding a KP, but this experience has me wondering, should I go back to Nikon?
06-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sent my 28-105mm lens to Advance Camera but they could not get confirmation on a parts order from Ricoh/Pentax so I had them send it to Precision. Precision has had it now for two weeks and they had to order parts. They told me it could take anywhere from 2-4 weeks. The lady on the phone also said that's just how it is with Pentax.

Sucks, but that is my current situation. Nothing wrong on Precision end, I've been able to get a representative every time I call. My only gripe is that it costs 65-75% of the lens street price to repair the actual lens .

06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RussAnton Quote
Most cities have authorized Nikon repair facilities...
Really? How on earth do they afford that?

Further, if the lens has been sent to Japan and back you're looking at a good 3-4 week delay just to deal with customs.
09-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timus Quote
. . . Am I correct that Precision Camera is our only repair option? . . . .
a possible solution for anyone who is looking for an alternative to Precision:

my HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW literally came apart into two pieces in the middle of our safari to Tanzania

it has come back from the local repairman that pres589 had mentioned in a post to the forum:

Phototronic

119 NE US Highway 24
Topeka KS 66608

785 233 0231

he was able to repair it and at a cost of less than $300

he runs a one man shop opened only in the afternoon M-F and he is not, by his own admission, the world fastest

he advises you to keep calling him to check on the progress of the repair

he does Vintage to Digital Camera Repairs with free estimates [ he does not sell equipment ]

If you want to try him out, please call him first

*************** he is not a licensed Pentax repair shop *********************
09-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
How did your 150-450 split apart? Would love to see the pictures of that.

09-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
How did your 150-450 split apart? Would love to see the pictures of that.
I actually never took a photo of it

but I can show you one

my lens separated like the ones pictured in this thread:

DFA 150-450mm needs repair - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

this is one of the first post I made when it happened
QuoteQuote:
Cannot upload photos now

As noted in this thread, my 150-450 separated into two pieces, the one with all the optics

Which fits inside the rear portion of the lens made up with the controls and the tripod mount separated from the rear part of the lens
DFA 150-450mm needs repair - PentaxForums.com

repairs done

disassembled to access separation, retapped stripped housing , retro-fit housing , general inspection

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-07-2019 at 08:07 AM.