Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Repairs

I have been shooting Pentax for 19 years and am on my 8th camera body, the K1ii. Am I correct that Precision Camera is our only repair option? No one else can get parts? I never required repairs until a 50-135 f2.8 stopped auto focusing. At that time I sent it to the authorized repair center in Chandler AZ. Seemed fair and a reasonably quick turn around. After several years it slowly stopped focusing again. This time it was sent to Precision, it was returned unchanged, still no auto focus. Returned it, came back repaired, however it was assembled in a manner that the lens hood was on crooked at about a 45 degree angle. I escalated this to someone at Pentax who put me in contact with Steve at Precision. I needed the lens back for an important shoot with in two weeks. Steve intervened and the lens was returned in time working perfectly.

However, Steve told me Precision did not have professional service (quick repair turn around as they do for Canon and Nikon) for Pentax. Seemed very odd to me.

Now my K1 ( purchased Aug '16) was received by Precision on Nov 16th and the repair status is "waiting on parts" after nearly a month! If they are the only authorized repair center wouldn't they have all the parts? My K1 from the start had a sticky mirror, worse in cold weather. It became progressively worse, then I screwed up the hot shoe and it was crooked and loose. The movie mode also stopped working.
Knowing I needed this service I pondered renting a camera and wide angle lens locally. Instead I bought the K1ii. Glad I did for I would have spent an equal amount or more on rental fees.

I turned pro 5 years ago photographing real estate, events and commercial work. At that time I thought I needed to buy a Nikon, but after reading reviews and seeing the DXO website showing Pentax kicking butt, especially Canon's in the depth of field category I continued to love my Pentax. Love the pricing, I figure that is due to the fact that Pentax has "No Marketing Dept." I'm OK with not adding 40% to pay Ashton Kutcher to advertise. However, the repair service or lack there of drops my respect for Pentax, I live in Denver and should be able to have a local repair facility handle my needs quickly or at least have the professional service from the authorized dealer.

What is your experience with Precision Camera? Sorry the Chatty Cathy email.

12-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as far as I know that is correct

US Pentax Warranty Repair Information - PentaxForums.com

I just completed having my HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW repaired by Precision Camera. I had bought I used so there was no warranty

to read the story, check out the link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/376841-d-fa...ml#post4479778

bottom line it had to go to Japan but I still got it back within the estimated time for repair they gave me.

I am very pleased with them and their customer service reps.
12-11-2018, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3

Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh used to have a professional services program. You needed to show that over 50% (or was it 51%) of you income came from photography. Ricoh phased that out and introduced a Silver and Platinum service for owners of the 645D and 645Z. This program seems to come and go at random.

Ricoh Japan has introduced a professional services program. Probably as a pilot for introduction into other regions. Or it may end up for Japan only or being phased out.

Ricoh's policy is not to sell parts to the consumer or end user. They do sell parts to legitimate or authorized repair companies such as KEH or Advance Camera in Oregon. Only Precision Camera will handle warranty work and sometimes KEH or Advance Camera will send the equipment to Precision for the repair.

There are still horror stories being told of experiences with Precision Camera but are becoming the exception more than the rule. Unlike the first 2 or 3 years when the took over repairs from C.R.I.S. I would say the horror stories are about the same in frequency as with your average service/repair experience.

Precision's parts inventory is pretty much the same as in the repair industry. Inventory is based on some projected levels of consumption. So if there is a spike in let's say need for mainboards over the projection than they will have to wait for parts. Some parts may even have to wait for another production run (if any) should the factory warehouses be out.
12-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Timus Quote
I have been shooting Pentax for 19 years and am on my 8th camera body, the K1ii. Am I correct that Precision Camera is our only repair option? No one else can get parts? I never required repairs until a 50-135 f2.8 stopped auto focusing. At that time I sent it to the authorized repair center in Chandler AZ. Seemed fair and a reasonably quick turn around. After several years it slowly stopped focusing again. This time it was sent to Precision, it was returned unchanged, still no auto focus. Returned it, came back repaired, however it was assembled in a manner that the lens hood was on crooked at about a 45 degree angle. I escalated this to someone at Pentax who put me in contact with Steve at Precision. I needed the lens back for an important shoot with in two weeks. Steve intervened and the lens was returned in time working perfectly.

However, Steve told me Precision did not have professional service (quick repair turn around as they do for Canon and Nikon) for Pentax. Seemed very odd to me.

Now my K1 ( purchased Aug '16) was received by Precision on Nov 16th and the repair status is "waiting on parts" after nearly a month! If they are the only authorized repair center wouldn't they have all the parts? My K1 from the start had a sticky mirror, worse in cold weather. It became progressively worse, then I screwed up the hot shoe and it was crooked and loose. The movie mode also stopped working.
Knowing I needed this service I pondered renting a camera and wide angle lens locally. Instead I bought the K1ii. Glad I did for I would have spent an equal amount or more on rental fees.

I turned pro 5 years ago photographing real estate, events and commercial work. At that time I thought I needed to buy a Nikon, but after reading reviews and seeing the DXO website showing Pentax kicking butt, especially Canon's in the depth of field category I continued to love my Pentax. Love the pricing, I figure that is due to the fact that Pentax has "No Marketing Dept." I'm OK with not adding 40% to pay Ashton Kutcher to advertise. However, the repair service or lack there of drops my respect for Pentax, I live in Denver and should be able to have a local repair facility handle my needs quickly or at least have the professional service from the authorized dealer.

What is your experience with Precision Camera? Sorry the Chatty Cathy email.
Much as I love my Pentax film cameras, that is the kind of account that has so far dissuaded me from buying a modern digital Pentax.

I simply cannot justify spending over a thousand dollars on a camera and then discovering not only that it unreliable but also that having a repair carried out is fraught with anxiety.

Last edited by Pentaxis; 12-11-2018 at 04:26 PM.
12-11-2018, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Much as I love by Pentax film cameras, that is the kind of account that has so far dissuaded me from buying a modern digital Pentax.

I simply cannot justify spending over a thousand dollars on a camera and then discovering not only that it unreliable but also that having a repair carried out is fraught with anxiety.
According to various surveys, DSLRs, at 3 years age, have failure rates of somewhere between 2 and 6%. On that basis, 94-98% of DSLR owners do not require servicing or repairs.
DSLRs are, in fact, much more reliable than, for instance, personal computers, laptops and tablets, so, as a precision optical and electronic instrument that says quite a lot actually.
12-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Not having a program like Canons CPS or Nikons NPS were you can get two day turn around service or a loaner if it takes longer is huge. If you’re a professional shooter a good service department can keep a customer brand loyal. If it takes months to repair a item is ridiculous and if it takes that long with a certain brand you would have to consider having three of each item so you have a backup for your backup.

Over the years the horror stories do seem to be less here but is that because people just have low expectations of precision or have they improved service? It’s a shame Pentax doesn’t have its own service center in the US, I guess they are just so small it’s just cheaper to contract out that stuff.
12-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony and, I believe, Nikon also use Precision. Sony has no other official repair site in the US. So no different from Pentax. Sony is launching a professional support service but it is only for professionals who can prove they derive most of their income from photography.

12-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Am I correct that Precision Camera is our only repair option?
Not entirely- there are other repair facilities across the country (see the sticky in this forum). However, Precision is the only authorized repair facility and the only one that handles first-party warranty repairs.

Ricoh recently (in May) launched the dedicated professional service in Japan, and I'm sure that if you reach out to them in the US they'll also be able to offer something. However, the "off the shelf" advantage program that others have alluded to is indeed only for 645Z users.

Given the hassle involved with sending things back and forth and the uncertainty regarding loaners, a viable alternative (which may also cost less, given the competitive price of the K-1 II and low closeout prices on the K-1) might be for you to get additional backup bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course, Pentax used to repair cameras in Denver. But that was another era.
12-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #10

And there was a time before that when Asahi Optical Co didn't have a repair center outside of Japan at all.
12-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
. . . Over the years the horror stories do seem to be less here but is that because people just have low expectations of precision or have they improved service? It’s a shame Pentax doesn’t have its own service center in the US, I guess they are just so small it’s just cheaper to contract out that stuff.
based on my one experience with Precision, I can not complain

first contact by phone 10/1 about cost of repair of HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW - no warranty coverage

lens sent to them 10/2

repaired lens, after being sent to Japan for repair and then back to Precision, lens was received by me 12/11

only problem caused by " imprecise and confusing " documentation but that was cleared up by one phone call

all details at link I provided before

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.
12-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

One experience with Precision -- sent in a body with a lens stuck to it (no idea still how) -- was charged the quoted price for repair and got a pristine looking cleaned up camera and lens within the timeframe advertised.

Yes, it's not as convenient as dropping it off at a local pro shop and having them deal with shipping, but not much less as the post office is around the corner from me.
12-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh used to have a professional services program. You needed to show that over 50% (or was it 51%) of you income came from photography. Ricoh phased that out and introduced a Silver and Platinum service for owners of the 645D and 645Z. This program seems to come and go at random.

Ricoh Japan has introduced a professional services program. Probably as a pilot for introduction into other regions. Or it may end up for Japan only or being phased out.

Ricoh's policy is not to sell parts to the consumer or end user. They do sell parts to legitimate or authorized repair companies such as KEH or Advance Camera in Oregon. Only Precision Camera will handle warranty work and sometimes KEH or Advance Camera will send the equipment to Precision for the repair.

There are still horror stories being told of experiences with Precision Camera but are becoming the exception more than the rule. Unlike the first 2 or 3 years when the took over repairs from C.R.I.S. I would say the horror stories are about the same in frequency as with your average service/repair experience.

Precision's parts inventory is pretty much the same as in the repair industry. Inventory is based on some projected levels of consumption. So if there is a spike in let's say need for mainboards over the projection than they will have to wait for parts. Some parts may even have to wait for another production run (if any) should the factory warehouses be out.
Thank you
12-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not entirely- there are other repair facilities across the country (see the sticky in this forum). However, Precision is the only authorized repair facility and the only one that handles first-party warranty repairs.

Ricoh recently (in May) launched the dedicated professional service in Japan, and I'm sure that if you reach out to them in the US they'll also be able to offer something. However, the "off the shelf" advantage program that others have alluded to is indeed only for 645Z users.

Given the hassle involved with sending things back and forth and the uncertainty regarding loaners, a viable alternative (which may also cost less, given the competitive price of the K-1 II and low closeout prices on the K-1) might be for you to get additional backup bodies.
Agree, with the purchase of the K1ii, the K1 held hostage by Precision and a K5iis I'm good. Just wish Pentax would demand better of Precision or give the users more options.
12-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree, with the purchase of the K1ii, the K1 held hostage by Precision and a K5iis I'm good. Just wish Pentax would demand better of Precision or give the users more options.
Sure, Cath. As noted above, Sony owners have to deal with that same company, whether they like it or not.