Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Broken filter filter ring on DA 35mm 2.4

I wonder if anyone could help. I have taken so many great photographs with this lens but due to its cheap construction and my heavy use the front treaded where the lens cap/fliter attaches has cracked.

I have lots of the cracked pieces.

My plan was 1) buy a slip on lens cap and accept the crack or 2) or glue on a UV filter - this would catch alot of dust thought

Any suggestions please? Anyone else had this problem? I have the Da 50mm 1.8 but also had a filter on it so never had this problem. Thank you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
JSN-L21  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
JSN-L21  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
JSN-L21  Photo 
12-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had that happen to three lenses so dar, including the DA 35 2.4... My father in law actually bumped it and broke it off, but not as much as yours. I usually have a petal hood on it but at that time it wasn't on. Since it still screws on I haven't worried about it. Same with the Tamron 70-300 that I've dropped but is otherwise optically perfect.

With my F 50 1.7 however it was a bit more that came off so I've glued it back with superglue. It's not perfect but it takes the hood so I'm happy. With the hood on you don't even notice it. Hopefully you can do something similar. I think the lens is worth it, love my plastic fantastic
12-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd probably glue a hood on that has threads on the upper side to accept filters and a cap. Makes the hood permanent but solves the problem and if it is fitted properly will close the gap and help keep debris from the lens all the way around.
12-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks ChristianRock. That helps. It still takes the hood just looks a bit tatty. It is functional. I regret (i) not keeping the broken bits to superglue back on and (ii) not keeping a filter on the lens at all times.

---------- Post added 12-13-18 at 03:49 PM ----------

Thanks Docrwn. Something like this?

Pentax smc DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens hood Sun visor

12-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Thanks ChristianRock. That helps. It still takes the hood just looks a bit tatty. It is functional. I regret (i) not keeping the broken bits to superglue back on and (ii) not keeping a filter on the lens at all times.

---------- Post added 12-13-18 at 03:49 PM ----------

Thanks Docrwn. Something like this?

Pentax smc DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Lens hood Sun visor
My personal preference would be for a soft hood as it will store better and is less prone to breaking if hit. Also, in a pinch you can remove the rubber hood from the metal ring and you don't have a storage problem but you have a place for a filter to fit.

Like this-
https://www.amazon.com/Zykkor-Universal-Telematic-Position-Rubber/dp/B0045TE...ntaxforums-20&
12-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My personal preference would be to get a metal step up ring 49 to 52 and either use some epoxy or gel filling adhesive (like some specialized products from loctite) and use the glue to add stability to the ring. Then add a 52mm filter and hood. Or step back down to 49mm.
12-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My personal preference would be to get a metal step up ring 49 to 52 and either use some epoxy or gel filling adhesive (like some specialized products from loctite) and use the glue to add stability to the ring. Then add a 52mm filter and hood. Or step back down to 49mm.
Essentially the same idea. The advantage of the 49mm rubber hood ring is that it's a) metal, b) the same diameter on both ends, and c) has a notch for the rubber hood naturally.

12-13-2018, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Or just take glass out of a 49mm filter and thread it in/glue it in place. Actually if you worry about damage to the front filter ring, mounting a filter ring w/o glass is not a bad practice to start when the lens is pristine.
12-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Or just take glass out of a 49mm filter and thread it in/glue it in place. Actually if you worry about damage to the front filter ring, mounting a filter ring w/o glass is not a bad practice to start when the lens is pristine.
When the lens is new that's a good preventative. Once the lens is damaged most filter rings are too narrow to fix the problem. Most rubber hood rings are nearly 2x as wide and are more likely to fill the gap while still being usable for mounting additional items.
12-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies. I certianly seem to have more options to salvage my most used lens!
12-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
When the lens is new that's a good preventative. Once the lens is damaged most filter rings are too narrow to fix the problem. Most rubber hood rings are nearly 2x as wide and are more likely to fill the gap while still being usable for mounting additional items.
Most of the rubber hoods I have do not have any filter threads on the front so I can't mount it then mount a filter.
12-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" they do exist "

" Product Highlights
Fits Lens with 39mm Filter Threads
Screws onto 0.75mm Thread Pitch
Prevents Lens Flare, Improves Contrast
Has 39mm Front Filter Threads "

Heliopan 39mm Screw-in Rubber Lens Hood 71019H B&H Photo Video

I'm sure there are others
12-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Most of the rubber hoods I have do not have any filter threads on the front so I can't mount it then mount a filter.
Hmmmm...I have owned two screw-on collapsible rubber hoods (both Vivitar) over the years and both have had front threads to accept a filter or cap. Right now, one of them is behind me attached to my Pentax-M 50/1.7 with a Pentax pinch cap attached to the front threads*. I did a quick survey of collapsible hoods at B&H and found that hoods from Dot Line and Heliopan both have front threads.

Steve

* Interestingly, the front threads project enough to accept the M-series pinch cap.
12-13-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
the front treaded where the lens cap/fliter attaches has cracked.

I have lots of the cracked pieces.
Oh, my! That is disturbing. I guess a suggestion of "de-glassing" a 49mm filter for permanent placement or a 49-->52 step ring might be a good one for new purchasers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-13-2018 at 05:34 PM.
12-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...I have owned two screw-on collapsible rubber hoods (both Vivitar) over the years and both have had front threads to accept a filter or cap. Right now, one of them is behind me attached to my Pentax-M 50/1.7 with a Pentax pinch cap attached to the front threads*. I did a quick survey of collapsible hoods at B&H and found that hoods from Dot Line and Heliopan both have front threads.

Steve

* Interestingly, the front threads project enough to accept the M-series pinch cap.
Mine are all from the 80's and 90's. Most have no threads. I have tiffen and kalt and Nikon etc.