Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 11:29 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shout out to Sun Camera Service

Just got my DA* 300/4 back from Sun Camera Service in Toronto the other day. This is the outfit contracted to do Pentax/Ricoh repairs in Canada. They had it for just over 3 months but it was returned in pristine working order. They had to wait for parts from Japan which held up repairs. Repairs were not covered under warranty since I have had the lens since it was first released. I had completely messed up the focus on it to the point where you couldn't even manually focus. Whole focus gear train needed to be replaced. All good now. - Jack

01-16-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just got my DA* 300/4 back from Sun Camera Service in Toronto the other day. This is the outfit contracted to do Pentax/Ricoh repairs in Canada. They had it for just over 3 months but it was returned in pristine working order. They had to wait for parts from Japan which held up repairs. Repairs were not covered under warranty since I have had the lens since it was first released. I had completely messed up the focus on it to the point where you couldn't even manually focus. Whole focus gear train needed to be replaced. All good now. - Jack
Had a couple of opportunities to deal with these folks and agreed, they're top notch...not a fancy store-front but they know their stuff.
01-16-2019, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that criticism is appropriate at times and thus I think Complements are even more appropriate when earned

great job by Sun

and great job for complementing them for it publicly
01-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sun Camera Service
This is news to me! Thank you for suggesting this! As a fellow Canadian, I've been looking for a national repair shop... too bad it's not in Alberta !

01-16-2019, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

When Pentax folded their Toronto repair depot, Sun hired two of the 6 technicians. They have guys that know Pentax.

If memory serves me well they are also an official repair depot for either Canon or Nikon.
01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Forum Member

I took my K-50 to them for the dreaded aperture block repair in July of 2016. They kept the camera for about 5 weeks and worked with Pentax to secure the parts etc. I don't shoot that many frames with it, compared to most of the forum members, but the camera is still working fine.

Overall I was pleased with their service. I just wish they were located closer. The tolls on the 407 highway are expensive!
01-16-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I sent them my DA 17-70 a few months ago and it got repaired on time and now works perfectly (the SDM and electronic board were replaced under warranty). They seemed to be a good place for Pentax repair.
01-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My 17-70 SDM was dying and I took it to Sun during the summer. It was covered by warranty. There was a three month delay due to parts order from Japan, but they always responded to my emails, and called when it was ready. Works perfectly. The work order states replace SDM motor, main P.C.B. and something else I can't make out.

All in all, I was very pleased and definitely recommend them.