Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

ME Super unresponsive shutter

First of all, I apologize in advance as I've seen that there are thousands of posts about broken ME-Ss, but after reading many of them and searching around the internet I still haven't found a solution to my problem. So:
I have received a black ME Super I purchased on eBay and the mirror was stuck up. The camera came with three lenses and inside a rigid camera case, and they are in pristine condition. It has been seating for years unused, but I can see the old owner (the seller's father) has taken a great care of it - there's even an adhesive protector on the bottom plate so it doesn't get scratched.
Anyways I have done a bit of research and solved the mirror lockup problem quickly, by just unscrewing the bottom plate and disassembling and reassembling back the winding mechanism (just a few pieces held together by springs and attached to the body with 3 screws). After having the mirror down the winding lever now works, and the shutter indicator is orange, which is supposed to mean the shutter is cocked; however when I press the shutter button nothing happens (neither in the Auto or M modes with new batteries nor in the mechanical modes). The winding lever is able to be moved as normal (all the way and then it comes back alone) indefinitely though. There's a small lever hardly accesible from the bottom of the camera that seems to enable the shutter when I push it, but I think to solve the problem I'm going to have to access the camera from the top.
I need some advice on how to remove the top cover (I'm afraid of doing because it's the first partially electronic camera I open, so I don't want to screw up anything concerning the ISO setting wheel or the shutter button with its mode selector), and any suggestions on how to solve the problem in any other way are gladly welcome and appreciated.
As I said before I've seen many supposedly helpful links on older threads, but most of them point to not longer available websites. I've already looked through the ME and ME-S repair manuals but I would like to have some first hand tips, as I haven't found them very helpful.
Many thanks in advance!

01-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
it needs cleaning/lubricating
01-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

this is related to the mirror box. you will have to dissasemby the whole thing, and there's also some unsoldering to do to get there. search the forum for a pdf with dissasembly institucion, it is very comprehensive. there is a rubber bumper that might need replacing.
01-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
this is related to the mirror box. you will have to dissasemby the whole thing, and there's also some unsoldering to do to get there. search the forum for a pdf with dissasembly institucion, it is very comprehensive. there is a rubber bumper that might need replacing.
I've finally found some instructions on how to dissasamble it and I would gladly do it, but the winder cover is impossible to remove. I've read I need some kind of rubber stopper, but I can't find anything to unscrew it. I guess I'll look in some hardware store and see if I can find something viable.

I would gladly send it to Eric but shipping fees from Europe are just too much, and I haven't found anything near me in Germany apart from a store in Cologne that wanted to charge me 220Ä plus taxes... So if anybody knows a good and reasonably priced camera repair store in Germany, please let me know!

01-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #5

Have you seen this video?

01-30-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure this is the one, but my dad said he sent his for service to a shop in Georgia. You might contact them. Camera Service Co. has been in business since 1945 in Atlanta GA and is proud to have serviced GA and surrounding states.
01-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DFJorquera Quote
I've finally found some instructions on how to dissasamble it and I would gladly do it, but the winder cover is impossible to remove. I've read I need some kind of rubber stopper, but I can't find anything to unscrew it. I guess I'll look in some hardware store and see if I can find something viable.

I would gladly send it to Eric but shipping fees from Europe are just too much, and I haven't found anything near me in Germany apart from a store in Cologne that wanted to charge me 220Ä plus taxes... So if anybody knows a good and reasonably priced camera repair store in Germany, please let me know!
Keep in mind that in order to loosen it you have to turn it clockwise - that is as if you were to tighten a mormal screw. it is a contrary screw, so just put your thumb upon it, apply pressure and turn clockwise. if it doesn't still bulge you could hit it on the sides with a plastic hammer.
01-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yeah! Thanks to that video I got to fix the mirror, and I plan on trying what he does whenever I manage to take out the mirror box...

---------- Post added 01-31-19 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I am not sure this is the one, but my dad said he sent his for service to a shop in Georgia. You might contact them. Camera Service Co. has been in business since 1945 in Atlanta GA and is proud to have serviced GA and surrounding states.
I would gladly send it to the US, but the shipping from Germany will probably be almost as expensive as the repair itself, and I donít want to even think about customs...

---------- Post added 01-31-19 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Keep in mind that in order to loosen it you have to turn it clockwise - that is as if you were to tighten a mormal screw. it is a contrary screw, so just put your thumb upon it, apply pressure and turn clockwise. if it doesn't still bulge you could hit it on the sides with a plastic hammer.
Thanks for the tip! Iíve read about the clockwise turning in some guides, but I still havenít found any useful tool to unscrew it and it wonít come off using only my finger... I hadnít thought about the hammer though, I have one with a rubber cover, so Iíll try it tomorrow and see how that goes.

02-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's unfortunate that these great cameras are afflicted with this common problem. I have a nice ME-Super i bought locally recently and I love it.
My first ME-S was bought "untested" on an auction site. It would wind but not fire. I saw the YouTube video above and thought I'd give it a shot. Getting the top plate and bottom were easy. Ultimately the repair shown in the video does not appear doable without getting the mirror box out. I gave up at the unsoldering stage. Since I've got another working model now and this one is a doorstop, I'll probably just cut the wires and rip it apart for the learning experience. Maybe I'll learn to fix this problem and save another one down the line.
02-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
It's unfortunate that these great cameras are afflicted with this common problem. I have a nice ME-Super i bought locally recently and I love it.
My first ME-S was bought "untested" on an auction site. It would wind but not fire. I saw the YouTube video above and thought I'd give it a shot. Getting the top plate and bottom were easy. Ultimately the repair shown in the video does not appear doable without getting the mirror box out. I gave up at the unsoldering stage. Since I've got another working model now and this one is a doorstop, I'll probably just cut the wires and rip it apart for the learning experience. Maybe I'll learn to fix this problem and save another one down the line.
I did exactly the same and stopped after having taken out both covers. I haven't found any step by step information on how to take the mirror box out, and the unsoldering step scares me as well. I've just bought an Olympus OM-1 which was my other option since the beginning, and I'll send the ME-S to Eric when I save some money, as the shipping from Europe is crazy expensive. If you do end up ripping it apart, feel free to tell me how it went
02-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having given up at the de-soldering stage I can't say for sure but the online disassembly guide I saw looked pretty good. I could have gone further with it, but my fear was this: I am just a guy who is pretty good with his hands, but I don't KNOW cameras. Stripped down, I don't know what anything is supposed to do ("this cam cocks this lever, which rotates this gear, which etc, etc"). When I get down to the mirror box will it be obvious to me what's wrong even if it's right in front of my face?
I'd like to think that my problem is the problem fixed in the youtube video above. The video however makes it seem like the problem can be fixed through the bottom of the camera (but that the camera was torn down just to make it more visible for instruction purposes). I'm not sure that's the case however. Trying to do the repair as mentioned above, it just seems like things are in the way and that the camera must be torn down. I monkeyed around and ended up trading one problem for another. Now when I wind the film advance, the shutter fires automatically, without pressing the shutter release.
I got the thing for the minimum bid on an auction site so it's not like it's got any value. I've given up on making this one work and will be happy if it's a learning experience that helps me be more successful the next time.
The lens that came with it is not a great one either and has some fungus visible on the front lens so I'll probably pull that apart to see if I can clean it, again, as a learning experience.
02-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens was a bust. Got it apart and did 45 minutes in straight vinegar and another 1/2 hour in 50/50 peroxide and ammonia. You can still the branching of the fungal hyphae like it wasn't even cleaned. Etched pretty good I guess. I think it was a pretty undesirable lens ("CPC CCT 28-80mm" zoom with macro) so no biggie. Too bad about the fungus. Seemed like a solidly built and smooth operating lens.

Took the ME Super apart last night. Found out why mine would fire the shutter as soon as it was wound. There's a little return spring that broke, so a small latch wouldn't operatate to keep the thing cocked. Took me a while but I think I have a much better understanding of the basic operation of the camera. The online guide was pretty good at getting it disassembled, but if it were a camera I wanted to fix, it's would still be pretty daunting because there so many little fiddly washers and different sized screws to keep track of. With this particular tear down, I was none too careful about the wires and screws because I had no intention of putting it back together. Maybe if I every run across a jammed ME Super that someone wants to get rid of I'll give it a crack, but for now I'll be happy using my working ME Super.
03-05-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
blades on Pentax 67 165mm LS

Problem with my Pentax 67 LS 165mm f 4.0. This is an LS lens, but the problem is with the regular aperture blades--seem to be permanently closed beyond f 32.0. The in-lens LS shutter seems to be okay, but of course cannot work without an open aperture.

I appreciate any thought or ideas. Keh has minimum $250 lens repair service, but excellent versions of this lens seem to be going for $300-600 on eBay, so I am reluctant to sink $250 into the repair.

Thanks in advance.