Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Advice for repairing tamron sp 90mm f/2.8 di macro

I feel like I posted this under the wrong topic, so I’m reposting it here. Delete if not allowed. I’m pretty bent out of shape right now, due to an unfortunate event involving my mischievous feline friend(not currently my friend) my tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di macro got damaged. I took it to the local camera shop, they sent it to the manufacturer and quoted me $400 to repair it. I bought it used on here a few years back and can’t remember what I paid, I wanna say it was around 200. I take photos of jewelry for an Instagram account and mostly use my Pentax 50 macro, but liked having the Tamron. My dilemma is the store took a non-refundable $50 deposit, which I can apply to anything else in store if I decide not to go ahead with the lens repair. Should I bite the bullet and fix the damaged tamron? Look for another used tamron? Consider a different macro lens? Someone who has more camera knowledge than me please help me sort out this dilemma. Thanks for your time!

01-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LadyGoodman Quote
I feel like I posted this under the wrong topic, so I’m reposting it here. Delete if not allowed. I’m pretty bent out of shape right now, due to an unfortunate event involving my mischievous feline friend(not currently my friend) my tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di macro got damaged. I took it to the local camera shop, they sent it to the manufacturer and quoted me $400 to repair it. I bought it used on here a few years back and can’t remember what I paid, I wanna say it was around 200. I take photos of jewelry for an Instagram account and mostly use my Pentax 50 macro, but liked having the Tamron. My dilemma is the store took a non-refundable $50 deposit, which I can apply to anything else in store if I decide not to go ahead with the lens repair. Should I bite the bullet and fix the damaged tamron? Look for another used tamron? Consider a different macro lens? Someone who has more camera knowledge than me please help me sort out this dilemma. Thanks for your time!
Amazon has the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro Brand New for $499.00 so it seems like $400. is quite a bit of $$$ to fix a used lens you paid $200 for. Either way you are out the $50. You need to decide if you really use
the Tamron enough to replace it . If it was me, I would probably find one used on the forum (theres one available now) or at Adorama or B&H (running around $250.). Take the $50 credit and get soemthing else. Re-sell the
damaged Tamron 90mm for parts and get what you can for it. I have the Tamron 90mm and enjoy the lens but not enough to spend $400 to repair it when i can replace it used and save some $$$.

Just my $0.02 worth.... Do what works best for you.

Last edited by eminker; 01-29-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Missing content
01-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
you’re right! I think I’m going to forgo the repair, $400 just seems too steep. Now I just need to be on the lookout for a used one. I’m also considering the Pentax 100/f2.8. I can’t seem to find the tamron for sale now. I’m bad at maneuvering the forums haha. Thank you for your reply and advice!
01-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a broken one that could possibly used for donor parts depending on what is broken with yours. PM me and I'll help if I can.

01-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you know what exactly is broken?

The usual alternative to the Tamron 90 is the Pentax 100mm macro (several versions). They are generally regarded as having comparable IQ. If you were looking for a used replacement, I would factor in that option as well.
01-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the older non DI version that I got for $150 and I love it.
From what I've read it may actually be more reliable too, I saw many complaints on the push pull manual/auto selector not working with the DI and none with the older model.
01-29-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Do you know what exactly is broken?

The usual alternative to the Tamron 90 is the Pentax 100mm macro (several versions). They are generally regarded as having comparable IQ. If you were looking for a used replacement, I would factor in that option as well.
Nope, not sure what is broken. I wasn’t able to touch base with the guy who sends the lenses to the manufacturer, just a message about what it would cost. I am considering the Pentax 100. I didn’t love the Tamron, not sure why, it’s a great lens. Thanks for you response!

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 07:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I have the older non DI version that I got for $150 and I love it.
From what I've read it may actually be more reliable too, I saw many complaints on the push pull manual/auto selector not working with the DI and none with the older model.
Thank you!! I will look into and consider this one as well. I could see the reason for the complaints, I didn’t like the push pull selector personally.

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I have a broken one that could possibly used for donor parts depending on what is broken with yours. PM me and I'll help if I can.
Thank you very much for this offer! They sent it to the manufacturer and I don’t know what is broken. I’ll get in touch if I make an alternative plan that might require a donor lens. Thanks again!

01-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you’re right! I think I’m going to forgo the repair, $400 just seems too steep. Now I just need to be on the lookout for a used one. I’m also considering the Pentax 100/f2.8. I can’t seem to find the tamron for sale now. I’m bad at maneuvering the forums haha. Thank you for your reply and advice!
Here you go ....

Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro for Pentax - PentaxForums.com

DA* 55/1.4, DA 18-135 WR, D-FA 100/2.8 WR Macro, FA* 24/2, FA* 300/4.5 - PentaxForums.com
01-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nope, not sure what is broken. I wasn’t able to touch base with the guy who sends the lenses to the manufacturer, just a message about what it would cost. I am considering the Pentax 100. I didn’t love the Tamron, not sure why, it’s a great lens. Thanks for you response!

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 07:34 PM ----------

Thank you!! I will look into and consider this one as well. I could see the reason for the complaints, I didn’t like the push pull selector personally.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 01-29-19 at 07:35 PM ----------
It still has the push pull thing, it's just less likely to break.