Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you get b&h to accept responsibility? One concern is that a dishonest person could drop a lens then remove screws - and while I believe your story, companies deal with so many dishonest people...

02-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

Last summer I had a crack in the shell of my camera. When I was watching through the viewfinder a loose part was hanging. Then I found out my Top shell had a crack. This really was strange because my camera never fell. I never knew how the crack came there. Maybe the Pentax isn's as solid as they claim to be, maybe It bumped against a wall or something happened when it was in my camera bag. It will stay a mystery.

I gave it to my local store for repair (Belgium) and they have sent it to Pentax. I think more than a month later I had my camera back. They changed the top plate, did some other vague jobs for a price of 356€. What they forgot was to inspect what's wrong under that top plate... My camera worked perfect but I have decided to send my camera back. This time I lost my camera for almost 3 more months! My camera came back all repaired when the summer was over (I had to do my summer travels and a few jobs with my good old Pentax 67, which wasn't that bad after all ). Lucky for me my camera came without any extra costs because I had an agreement the repair would cost 356€. My local store told me it would be expensive, they replaced my pentaprism and more.

Good luck with your repair! I hope it won't take that long and you can get the costs low.
02-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Replacing the shutter might push the estimate towards the not economical range (replace rather than repair).
I had Precision do a shutter replacement in my K-1 earlier this winter. They did it for the $350 default repair price.
02-12-2019, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did you get b&h to accept responsibility? One concern is that a dishonest person could drop a lens then remove screws - and while I believe your story, companies deal with so many dishonest people...
No, I haven't taken any action as yet on that. And you're right - the only problem with modern commerce is them humans. If we could just get right of the lyin', cheatin', self-absorbed, and arrogant humans, the Earth would be just fine!

In this case, however, the plastic part in the back of the lens that the mounting plate screws onto had the threads ripped out in three places - physical evidence. Now that I think of it, I should have asked Precision to send that bit back to me (as they'd probably thrown it out when they replaced it with a new part). Another consideration is that I could presumably have simply returned the lens for full credit undamaged if that was what I wanted. I didn't need to lie about it, I wanted the lens and didn't want to send it back.

They've been pretty good in other ways - prompt shipping, ex-post-facto application of sale prices on recent orders (i.e., when something goes on sale after you've bought it, you can call them up and ask them to give you a credit, and they've always done that for me). In another instance, though a trivial case, I'd bought a set of headphones, and the instructions they came with said you had to unscrew the left earpiece and insert a battery. But the instructions were for a different model. Manufacturer's error, but B&H took it back for full credit, though the left earpiece was partially destroyed.

What did bother me in this transaction was that they were taking the position that I had lied about what had happened, and relied on an interpretation of the facts that was patently absurd, false, and downright dishonest, in my opinion. Their argument was that the fall caused the damage, but that fall couldn't have occurred unless the damage was already a factor. Besides, it only fell about a foot, and that didn't cause any damage at all - it fell "nose-down" onto asphalt, but the lens cap wasn't even scratched. I'd have been happy with a gift card for half the cost (which, given their profit ratio, would cost them less than giving me a cash refund) as a compromise - after all, I didn't pay the full, new item price for the used lens. As it is, I got the lens I wanted, it cost me slightly more than the retail price at the time, but still less than the MSRP, and I think it's better now after Precision's rebuilt it, than it would have been new.

I just won't buy used equipment from them ever again. They're pretty reliable as to new stuff in original boxes.