Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

My K1 shell is cracked. Will Precision Camera replace that?

So a few weeks ago I dropped my K1 right on its head onto solid concrete. A large shard out of the shell and a cracked pentaprism are all the damage i've found. Still works but I obviously need to get this repaired.

If you're in the US, PrecisionCamera is the only official repair service for Pentax. I havent had a problem in the past. I know they charge a flat fee which used to be $200 the last time I used them, but has since increased to $350. Ugh.

Does anyone know offhand if they do body repairs? A large piece would have to be replaced entirely, and they don't seem to respond to questions until you actually pay them and send them your gear.

Last edited by nzondlo; 02-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.
02-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've certainly seen users send them lenses with broken barrels, so as long as you're paying, I don't see why it would be any different with the camera body.

They are supposed to give you a final quote before charging you if the price differs, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had an acquaintance who did something similar to their K5 and had Precision do the repair. So I know they are able to, the cost though, I have no idea.

Good luck!
02-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

The only way you are going to get an estimate is to send the camera in for inspection. Precision won't charge you until you approve the repair and they are ready to ship camera back to you. Replacing the top cover and pentaprism shouldn't be a problem. Checking the rest of the mechanisms for shock or G-force damage will take some effort. You'll probably have to wait for parts from Japan.

Since it is not warranty work you can try another authorized service such as Advance Camera in Oregon. They might end up sending it to Precision though if it isn't something they can handle.

02-06-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I had damage on my K-1 II shell as well, but more minor. The quote for replacement was a total of $439.04 :
Labor : $200.21
Parts : $193.84
Shipping : $45

I didn't have the work performed in my case. The quote was purposes of getting my insurance to pay for the damage. I was without the camera for over a month.
02-06-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ouch! Commiserations and good luck.
02-06-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Epoxy is your friend.......

02-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Epoxy is your friend.......
The pentaprism is also shattered. AF still seems to work fine, though.

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I had damage on my K-1 II shell as well, but more minor. The quote for replacement was a total of $439.04 :
Labor : $200.21
Parts : $193.84
Shipping : $45

I didn't have the work performed in my case. The quote was purposes of getting my insurance to pay for the damage. I was without the camera for over a month.
Insurance... now that's something I should have looked into a long timr ago!

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 02:55 PM ----------

Fo you think at this point I should just have the shutter replaced as well while they have it? I've already had the camera over 2 years and use it pretty regularly.
02-06-2019, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
The pentaprism is also shattered. AF still seems to work fine, though.

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 02:54 PM ----------

Insurance... now that's something I should have looked into a long timr ago!

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 02:55 PM ----------

Fo you think at this point I should just have the shutter replaced as well while they have it? I've already had the camera over 2 years and use it pretty regularly.

Sorry to hear that, must be a mess. Sounds like repair is the only viable option.
02-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
[/COLOR]Insurance... now that's something I should have looked into a long time ago!
This is most certainly something you want to lay in your insurer's lap. Good luck!
02-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume the D-FA 50/1.4 is fine. Otherwise...
02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
I assume the D-FA 50/1.4 is fine. Otherwise...
Oh yeah she's fine. All things considered. This kit has suffered a lot of drops and given me no problems. This time was just squarely on its head with all its weight.

02-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #13

I would hazard to guess the shutter and sensor are the two most expensive parts in the camera and the labor involved replacing them extensive. Replacing the shutter might push the estimate towards the not economical range (replace rather than repair).
02-06-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How many shots? You can have a k-1 mirrorless if you can choose to only use live view...lol.
02-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #15
Unregistered User

I'd bought a used lens from B&H that they said was a "10" - like new. One of those fairly long and heavy lenses that requires a foot to mount on a tripod. Their warranty at the time on used stuff just said "90 days return", unconditionally.

So I'd taken the thing off the tripod after its first use and was holding the camera by a wrist-strap when the lens fell off the camera. The reason it had fallen is that the metal mounting plate in the back of the lens was missing two of the five screws that were supposed to hold it on the back of the lens. I discovered that when I removed the mounting plate from the camera, since the other three were still there.

Got an RMA from BH and they assured me it was eligible for return or repair. Sent it in (at my own expense), but they sent it back after a few weeks unrepaired, saying that it was not eligible for return because it had fallen. Well, DUH!!! They tried to persuade me that the fall had CAUSED the defect in the mounting plate. They went through all sorts of sophistry about it, but that was the bottom line - absolutely dishonest in my opinion, simply because it was going to cost them money they didn't want to have to spend.

I sent the lens to Precision, and they fixed it. I hadn't sent them the parts that had become separated from the lens (evidence), so they had to order stuff, slow boat from Japan, or something. Cost me almost five hundred bucks, but the lens is now probably better than new. Bottom line, yes, Precision will replace parts. Costs extra, though, since they apparently don't stock anything that's not commonly required. (And, by the way, I'll never buy any more used equipment from B&H.)