Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Camera repair in Ottawa?

Looking for a place to CLA a film camera. Wanted to do it locally, but the only place seems to be Canadian Camera. I went there today against my better judgement. It was against my better judgement because I don't actually think that they are in the business of fixing cameras, despite what they say. I had gone there once before and they quoted me $300 to clean a lens. I looked them up again and found some posts online saying that they actually do fix cameras. So I went there today and the guy told me that a CLA would cost "at least $400". I didn't even bother telling him he was insane.

02-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talk to Sun Cameras, the official Pentax service firm. I talked to them a couple days ago and he said he has people who work on film cameras.

Sun Camera Service Ltd. - Home
02-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not aware of any local outfits here in town.

The quotes you received, first for a lens and today for your camera, seem steep, especially for a lens (unless there was a major issue with it).

However, depending on the extent of the 'CLA', the job could require numerous hours. The job could range from a relatively simple cleaning and lubing of the main winding gears, new light seals, exterior cleaning, etc to a full tear-down; removal of the shutter box; cleaning and lubing the shutter mechanisms; calibration of the exposure meter; full testing of aperture, meter, and shutter speed; and so on. A rangefinder camera may require significant work on the lens and leaf shutter. Still, I think we've heard of less expensive CLA's elsewhere.

I know of one guy in Eastern Ontario, NW of Kingston in Enterprise: Home

I've never used him, so I can't vouch for his work.

- Craig
02-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm not aware of any local outfits here in town.

The quotes you received, first for a lens and today for your camera, seem steep, especially for a lens (unless there was a major issue with it).

I know of one guy in Eastern Ontario, NW of Kingston in Enterprise: Home

I've never used him, so I can't vouch for his work.

- Craig
Thanks Craig, will check it out.

I got a cla for my LX for $50 USD in Texas. Had a complete strip down and rebuild of my Zorki 3 with shutter replacement for $60 USD. If this guy looked at the camera and gave me a reasonable explanation as to why it would be so expensive to fix it, I could have accepted it. He just took the camera, looked at the lens (?), fired the shutter twice and said $400. Eric charges $200 USD for LX cla...

I found a guy in Toronto near my parents' place, so I may give him a try. We go to Toronto anyway...

---------- Post added 02-21-19 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Talk to Sun Cameras, the official Pentax service firm. I talked to them a couple days ago and he said he has people who work on film cameras.

Sun Camera Service Ltd. - Home
Thanks! I called them when I need a CLA for my LX and they told me they don't fix them anymore... I guess it depends on the camera...

02-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@IgorZ, thanks for the additional info. Based on your experience, yeah, I'd say the local guy is playing in another ballpark. Toronto sounds feasible.

I used to pass their shop while commuting on the bus, and often wondered about their neon sign brightly proclaiming "CAMERA REPAIRS".