Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who can repair a K-30 aperture block if I have the white solenoid?

My low shutter count K-30 aperture solenoid has failed. I bought on of the last white solenoids available on eBay, however due to nerve issues in my hands repairing the camera myself is not a good option.
Is there a competent repair shop or person doing this repair?

03-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find a local old school electronics repair person.
03-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
My low shutter count K-30 aperture solenoid has failed. I bought on of the last white solenoids available on eBay, however due to nerve issues in my hands repairing the camera myself is not a good option.
Is there a competent repair shop or person doing this repair?
Hi, what country are you located in?
03-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ajax156 Quote
Hi, what country are you located in?
Pennsylvania, United States of America.

03-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Pennsylvania, United States of America.
Well this job should be able to be done by any decent electronics repair shop I think. Just tell them what you want and give them the various links showing the repair from this forum.

Cheers
03-28-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is very easy to open the k-30. IF you have some experience in soldering it would be nice, but I just learned it I half an hour by watching some tutorials. Should Not take more time than 1hour to fix it.
IF you dont want to try it you can send It to me. I am located in germany. When its arrived I will fix it in between 3 days (excluding Shipping time).
03-28-2019, 01:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a look at this thread: Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
03-28-2019, 04:30 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Be advised that anyone, before attempting any repair, might want to review this thread:

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

04-11-2019, 02:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Be advised that anyone, before attempting any repair, might want to review this thread:

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
You might have missed this but in my manual right at the beginning I did mention that JIS screwdrivers are the right ones to chose.

Nevertheless: I had started with Phillips 00 and 000 and managed well.

But when I found out about JIS I was very relieved! Because they are made to fit perfectly, and yet, using a JIS screwdriver on a Phillips screw works well either, better than a Phillips on JIS screw for sure.

The problem is that for a person doing this repair once it can be difficult to find good quality JIS screwdrivers (I had purchased expensive ones made by Vessel which are not very good, cheap material for the head) until I found hight quality ones made by Vessel. Huge difference.
Also it is a question of money:

One might anyway have to buy a good soldering-iron, much more important.

With lenses and particular vintage lenses I see it very different:
Often screws sit very tight and using a Phillips might damage the screw, one might even have to use a drill to get it out...
04-11-2019, 03:19 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
. . . I did mention that JIS screwdrivers are the right ones to chose.

Nevertheless: I had started with Phillips 00 and 000 and managed well.

But when I found out about JIS I was very relieved! Because they are made to fit perfectly, and yet, using a JIS screwdriver on a Phillips screw works well either, better than a Phillips on JIS screw for sure.

The problem is that for a person doing this repair once it can be difficult to find good quality JIS screwdrivers (I had purchased expensive ones made by Vessel which are not very good, cheap material for the head) until I found hight quality ones made by Vessel. Huge difference. ...

not sure about elsewhere but I got a small set of JIS drivers from this company

JIS Driver Set - iFixit

they were made by Moody Tools and appear to be available outside of the US

http://www.moodytools.com/MTI_Distributor_4.html

caution: As far as quality of the drivers? I am not a " repair " person I I purchased the driver to use to make sure the exterior screws were tight as I was anticipating a whale watching trip and was worried about water exposure

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-11-2019 at 03:31 AM.
04-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just FYI ... You may be able to shoot K, M, A, FA or any lenses (including third party) in K-mount that has a manual aperture ring. (Plus M42) Just dial in manually your settings and shoot anyway. And the Green Button is an aid here, too, to get a proper exposure.

I have two K-30's that I picked up cheap and both are defective ... it's no real problem for me to use them like this ... and maybe someday I will get a white solenoid and repair one myself.
6 Days Ago   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I replaced the K-30 with a use K-s2 (love it!) and bought a used white solenoid off eBay with the intention of fixing the K-30. Instead, Iím keeping the solenoid as a spare for the K-s2 and using the K-30 with lenses older than the digital only series. Adding to my manual focus, old school lens stable on the cheap as I can. It gives me an excuse to take photos of familiar things and places that I would not likely shoot using my modern, computer designed, optically excellent lenses.
The K-30 works quite well in manual green button mode, itís 16.3 MP sensor seems to be just right for the 1970-1990 film glass.
5 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good possibility. Of course a bit sad that you can't repair the K30, I would even prefer the K30 over the K-S2 for several reasons but can understand very well that with what you described as nerve-issues you won't take on DIY. Hope your K-S2 does play save and won't catch the jammed solenoid syndrom (nor the false easter-rabbit-syndrom either).
5 Days Ago   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A good possibility. Of course a bit sad that you can't repair the K30, I would even prefer the K30 over the K-S2 for several reasons but can understand very well that with what you described as nerve-issues you won't take on DIY. Hope your K-S2 does play save and won't catch the jammed solenoid syndrom (nor the false easter-rabbit-syndrom either).
The K-30 has a second odd, intermittent issue. Sometimes the EV +- will not respond to the control dial when the EV button is pressed. It remains unresponsive until the power is cycled off and on
5 Days Ago   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... (nor the false easter-rabbit-syndrom either).
? What is this?