Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
k1 shutter replacement cost ?

Hi
Has anyone here with no warranty or insurance paid to replace a k1 Mark 1 shutter, if so how much did it cost you total for parts labor and insured shipping?
Thanks for any help.

03-18-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's gone wrong with the shutter?
03-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What's gone wrong with the shutter?
Nothing yet. I bought a used camera, the seller had said in the listing it has about 20k on the shutter count. Once I got it I checked the shutter count and found it be 148000k plus. So I told the seller I would like to return it. The seller offered to refund me 250 dollars if I would keep the camera and said that that would more than cover the cost of the shutter repair should one ever be needed. So I'm posting my question here to see if the $250 offered would really cover the shutter replacement cost or if that cost info is as wrong as the sellers shutter count info. In the meantime I'm testing the camera to see if there are more surprises. It seems to look mint and function right in all testing thus far.
03-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldaydreams Quote
Nothing yet. I bought a used camera, the seller had said in the listing it has about 20k on the shutter count. Once I got it I checked the shutter count and found it be 148000k plus. So I told the seller I would like to return it. The seller offered to refund me 250 dollars if I would keep the camera and said that that would more than cover the cost of the shutter repair should one ever be needed. So I'm posting my question here to see if the $250 offered would really cover the shutter replacement cost or if that cost info is as wrong as the sellers shutter count info. In the meantime I'm testing the camera to see if there are more surprises. It seems to look mint and function right in all testing thus far.
The standard repair quote, from Precision, for a K-1 is currently $353.00. The actual cost may vary, but will likely not end up being substantially lower than the quoted figure.

Therefore, my recommendation would be to return the camera and get another one with less mileage. Who knows what will fail next after the shutter...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The standard repair quote, from Precision, for a K-1 is currently $353.00. The actual cost may vary, but will likely not end up being substantially lower than the quoted figure.

Therefore, my recommendation would be to return the camera and get another one with less mileage. Who knows what will fail next after the shutter...
thank for the approx price and advise
03-18-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-1 shutter is rated for 300k actuations:

Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

So yours still has lots of life left in it. Even 300k is likely to be a conservative measure, particularly for normal consumer use.

The K-1 shutter seems pretty heavy duty. With support for shutter-intensive features like time-lapse, HDR, extended bracketing etc etc built-in to the K-1, it is required to be.

---------- Post added 2019-03-19 at 10:55 AM ----------

Once I got it I checked the shutter count and found it be 148000k plus.
Also out of curiosity, how did you derive this figure? EXIFTOOL?.
148k is certainly a long way from the sellers's quoted 20k shot count.
03-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

So yours still has lots of life left in it. Even 300k is likely to be a conservative measure, particularly for normal consumer use.

The K-1 shutter seems pretty heavy duty. With support for shutter-intensive features like time-lapse, HDR, extended bracketing etc etc built-in to the K-1, it is required to be.
The rating is likely equivalent to a mean time to failure, and it means the probability is it will provide the 300K actuations--based on testing and some statistical criterion--but there is also a finite non-trivial number of cameras that will give significantly less. The more actuations the greater the risk.
03-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This ^ ^ ^

Of course, much depends on the price you originally paid and the camera's condition overall. I would estimate somewhere upwards of $400 to replace a shutter. Still though...You were told it was a low mileage camera when it was not. In other words, you were sold a bill of goods and likely at a premium price. It would be appropriate for the seller to fess up, accept the return, reimburse all shipping (both ways), and also not challenge negative feedback if a feedback system exists. They do not deserve your business or a good reputation.

For comparison, my K-3 was purchased almost five years ago and has seen fairly heavy use since then. It currently has 26101 shutter actuations.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-18-2019 at 05:45 PM.
03-18-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

---------- Post added 2019-03-19 at 10:55 AM ----------

Also out of curiosity, how did you derive this figure? EXIFTOOL?.
148k is certainly a long way from the sellers's quoted 20k shot count.
To RAWR I used the shutter count tool at this pentax forum to determine the shutter count. Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

---------- Post added 03-18-19 at 08:15 PM ----------

I had paid about 850USD. The seller refunded me 350.
So my final price is 500. The camera looks mint condition and has passed all my tests.
So at that 500 price I'll take risk of keeping it with high miles and hope for the best.
I'll only be putting about 2 or 3k shots a year on it.
So the lesson I'll share for a pentax camera is always check the shutter count as a buyer and always disclose the actual checked count as seller, don't post a guess.
03-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To RAWR I used the shutter count tool at this pentax forum to determine the shutter count. Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

So my final price is 500. The camera looks mint condition and has passed all my tests.
So at that 500 price I'll take risk of keeping it with high miles and hope for the best.
So the lesson I'll share for a pentax camera is always check the shutter count as a buyer and always disclose the actual checked count as seller, don't post a guess.
$850 is low for a K-1. $500, really low. I am with you, keep the refund. Keep the camera. It may have no more than $200 resale in 5-years, but with your level of use, you probably will not wear it out. It took me 30-years to wear out the shutter on my Pentax ME Super. It was a sad day when I retired it.
03-18-2019, 11:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks mroeder75
03-19-2019, 04:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It was worth it before the refund. Congratulations on a great deal.
03-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes! Wow! I would take a clean K-1 any day for $500. You got a good deal!