Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vinegar wouldn't be that bad (eating the face off of your lens) since the acid in it is acetic acid which will completely evaporate and isn't that active toward silica (glass), especially for short term exposure. However, that said, it's not that good an oil solvent and personally, I wouldn't get anything acid near the innards of my lens.

For dissolving oil, you need a bit of alcohol (ethyl or methyl but near 100% pure) and sometimes detergent (hence the effectiveness of Windex) which is mostly ammoniated distilled water (no residue), pure alcohol, and detergent, not that I'm recommending Windex for lens cleaning. I've heard horror stories about the ammonia attacking glass, but that too evaporates quickly (with the water) and doesn't leave anything behind and ammonia isn't a glass etcher either.

I believe Mothballs may have acetic acid confused with hydroflouric acid which is used for etching glass, and is really nasty stuff (glass bottles of white vinegar which contain 5% acetic acid never cloud).

In any case, I usually finish a lens cleaning by breathing on the lens (ala distilled water) and cleaning that off with lens tissue. That mops up any cleaner residue and usually results in a great clean for me.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-31-2019 at 11:30 AM.
03-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First and foremost use a wet tissue and dab the Element first as to remove any sand DAB DAB DAB.
03-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #18

To the OP, did you get it sorted? And what did you end up using?

Personally I use 50/50 cloudy ammonia and water, then rinse with water and dry with a blower to avoid spots.

There are lots of things that work and just as many people who will say a particular method is Ill advised or dangerous because they did chemistry at school 😉

Cheers
04-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ajax156 Quote
To the OP, did you get it sorted? And what did you end up using?

Personally I use 50/50 cloudy ammonia and water, then rinse with water and dry with a blower to avoid spots.

There are lots of things that work and just as many people who will say a particular method is Ill advised or dangerous because they did chemistry at school 😉

Cheers
Hydrogen Peroxide to dissolve any organic matter on non-cemented elements, rubbing Alcohol on anything else, and Zippo Lighter fluid does 100% do wonders for giving you a flawless shine at the end.

And yeah, One swipe and then the tissue/microfiber cloth you use is dead.

As an aside, Did you know Hydrogen peroxide will eat len coatings and the cement between joined doublets after a week or two? True Fact. (This was on Purpose, the coatings where bad and the cement had fungus, plus it's an "Experimental" lens.)