Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 266
From those that do their own repairs, Lens element cleaning advice?

I do lots of small fixes on my own more vintage lenses, and the local shop is, uh, not very good when it comes to cleaning.

I had to pull apart my 50mm 1.7 FA, because, joy of joy, the rear element decided to grow a fuzzy.

For some god awful reason though, unlike my Helios or my MIR or any number of other lenses, this one does not want to give me a streak free finish on the elements. Zeiss pre-treated wipes - Nope. Fresh Mircofiber? No. Fresh lenspen? Nah-uh.

As opposed to forging in full force and hitting my head against a wall, what are other peoples secrets to a clean, clear lens when doing fungus repair? Is there a dark secret to this? A god I must sacrifice a ME-Super to on a fullmoon?

03-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 34
The streak is in my opinion something not being removed by the solvent in the wipes or by mechanical means. Maybe try methanol if you have it unless this element is coated.
03-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,063
.
Check out this guy's YouTube channel. He has many video tutorials on lens cleaning and fungus removal. I too repair lenses and find this YouTuber's recommended methods to be sound. Good luck.
03-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 5,866
A leather chamois works wonders. Small thin ones for cleaning lenses are getting hard to find though.

03-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 266
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
.
Check out this guy's YouTube channel. He has many video tutorials on lens cleaning and fungus removal. I too repair lenses and find this YouTuber's recommended methods to be sound. Good luck.
He's very methodical and calm in his work. Will take note for sure.
03-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 721
Clean with R.O.R (residual oil remove ). Afterwards clean with your normal routine.
03-29-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,735
This will make some people cringe, and I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but I had a lens element that was behaving as you describe, and in an act of desperation, I used Windex, and it worked. I then followed up with a normal cleaning using all the stuff we're supposed to use on delicate optics. Proceed at your own risk..... But really, it's ammonia and some suds, and if you start looking at the MSDS sheets on these things, almost always the active ingredient is a low level dilution of an alcohol (methanol for example) or ammonia. Here's one on Eclipse as a sample - https://sensorcleaning.com/Eclipse.pdf
03-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #8
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 611
best all-around nondestructive cleaner, esp. for grease/oil spots, I've found is plain white vineger, which ordinarily comes diluted to 4-5 percent acidity.

03-29-2019, 06:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
Mothballs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 266
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
best all-around nondestructive cleaner, esp. for grease/oil spots, I've found is plain white vineger, which ordinarily comes diluted to 4-5 percent acidity.
Note: Don't do this. If any of the Vinegar gets left on softer glass it will etch it. You want glass that looks like Milk? This is how you get glass that looks like milk. Vinegar is literally used in arts and crafts ways to etch designs onto glass.



QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
.
Check out this guy's YouTube channel. He has many video tutorials on lens cleaning and fungus removal. I too repair lenses and find this YouTuber's recommended methods to be sound. Good luck.
Will repeat. this guy is really helpful. Also the tools he uses are way better then the jank I was using.
03-30-2019, 03:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,184
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
.
Check out this guy's YouTube channel. He has many video tutorials on lens cleaning and fungus removal. I too repair lenses and find this YouTuber's recommended methods to be sound. Good luck.
I SECOND THAT ,I watch this guy all the time. Most of the time he starts off with Zippo and finish off with Eclipes using Pec Pads
03-30-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 611
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
Note: Don't do this. If any of the Vinegar gets left on softer glass it will etch it. You want glass that looks like Milk? This is how you get glass that looks like milk. Vinegar is literally used in arts and crafts ways to etch designs onto glass.
.
good point - I generally follow up with plain water and with VisibleDust liquid.
03-30-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 393
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I used Windex, and it worked. . . it's ammonia and some suds
FWIW, ammonia usually removes coatings from optics like eyeglasses, etc. though it will leave it clean.

If anyone needs a good supply of methanol, it's the only ingredient in yellow Heet gasoline antifreeze.
03-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,184
In the Vivitar repair Manuals they discuss using a combo of 70 % ether and 30% alcohol as a cleaning agent. So much for fear Mongering.
03-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #14
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter
dlh's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northern Piedmont of Virginia
Posts: 611
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
In the Vivitar repair Manuals they discuss using a combo of 70 % ether and 30% alcohol as a cleaning agent. So much for fear Mongering.
I suspect that combination could get you arrested in the U.S. for "constructing an explosive device".

Vivatar's lenses must not have those sensitive coatings that Pentax lenses have. Btw, ammonia is a strong alkali, which, like the acidic vinegar, will emulsify grease and oil, but should not be used as a primary cleaner for the same reason alcohol, benzine, acetone and such shouild not be used.

I suggested vinegar solution only because someone earlier had stated the problems in terms of grease spots or something like that - for ordinary dirt and dust, I wouldn't use anything stronger than water or a commercial product of guaranteed quality. And preferably distilled water (avoiding having mineral spots on the glass after the water dries).
03-31-2019, 07:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2014
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,184
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I suspect that combination could get you arrested in the U.S. for "constructing an explosive device".

Vivatar's lenses must not have those sensitive coatings that Pentax lenses have. Btw, ammonia is a strong alkali, which, like the acidic vinegar, will emulsify grease and oil, but should not be used as a primary cleaner for the same reason alcohol, benzine, acetone and such shouild not be used.

I suggested vinegar solution only because someone earlier had stated the problems in terms of grease spots or something like that - for ordinary dirt and dust, I wouldn't use anything stronger than water or a commercial product of guaranteed quality. And preferably distilled water (avoiding having mineral spots on the glass after the water dries).
Magnesium Fluoride is the coating and it is extremely durable , IE not easy to ruin. Also just use ZIPPO lighter FLUID

Last edited by niceshot; 03-31-2019 at 07:24 AM. Reason: because its like that
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
element, god, joy, lens, lenses, pentax service, repair, service, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 element Super-Takumar in 8-element body 50/1,4 ??? photogem Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 12-30-2018 04:45 PM
Super Takumar 1.4/50mm 8-Element "killer" vs 7-Element Sample Comparison Sliver-Surfer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 10-23-2018 03:11 PM
Sourcing a rear element for an 8-element Super Tak 50/1.4 jtkratzer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 05-31-2018 07:08 PM
Recommendation Needed: Cheap Manual Flashes That Do NOT Shut Down On Their Own Arizona Dave Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 9 12-08-2014 08:25 PM
Lens Repairs and Cleaning. gmans Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 01-12-2014 07:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top