Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

New Ricoh GRiii front “ring” loose

Can’t seem to get ring to securely click in. Their is a soft click, but not securing to body. Camera is one (1) week old.

03-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What ring?
03-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On my camera there's a soft click, and it doesn't take much effort to remove the ring. But it never fell on its own and once attached it stays in place. If I grab the ring and try to move it when attached, there's a tiny bit of play (imo normal for a bayonet mount, otherwise, like with stiff lens hoods, it would loosen over time anyway). Is there dust under the ring or on the mount? Also, check that you're aligning the dot on the ring with the mark on the camera, and that the ring isn't bent.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What ring?
There's a ring around the lens that covers the accessory bayonet, you can replace it with other colors or with the adapter for mounting 49mm filters or the wide angle adapter.

Last edited by aaacb; 03-31-2019 at 01:42 PM.
03-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
you can replace it with other colors
I've always liked Pentax' color offerings and never understood why so many people get stuffy about it and
think it silly, (the DPR crowd, for example). But bling on a GR does seem really weird. Kind of like
Mickey Mouse or a Unicorn on a black t-shirt, but much more so.

04-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Hi. I’ve had my GR III for 2 weeks now. I’ve lost two rings so far. The original black one and the limited edition blue ring. I’m on the Ricoh GR III FB page and there’s three of us on there who have lost rings so far. There’s other threads on other pages about it too. It’s certainly a design flaw and there definitely isn’t a solid click when it ‘locks’ into place.

That’s my only complaint. I love the camera. I can’t get used to how portable it is. Recently had some time in London and Birmingham with it and I’m pleased that I bought it. I’m still not fully used to not having a viewfinder although I’m adjusting a lot better than I thought I would.
04-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mine fell off too. I havent messed with it at all, just noticed it is missing. Are they sending out replacements?
04-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This morning I contacted Ricoh via facebook and they responded a few hours later with an offer to mail me a ring.

04-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
This morning I contacted Ricoh via facebook and they responded a few hours later with an offer to mail me a ring.
I’ve had my Ricoh GR III for two days. The ring has fallen off twice. It is locked but loose. I thought it was lost for good the second time. I found it in the camera bag pocket. It fell off while in the bag. This seems like a problem.
04-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryhokie Quote
I’ve had my Ricoh GR III for two days. The ring has fallen off twice. It is locked but loose. I thought it was lost for good the second time. I found it in the camera bag pocket. It fell off while in the bag. This seems like a problem.
My replacement is loose too. I’m sure I will lose it eventually.
04-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #10

I’m on my third and final ring.

I’ve used a small slither of Duck Tape/duct tape, about 1”, underneath my ring. It holds the ring in place without worry at all. I’m in London for two days of this bank holiday and spent 14 hours out yesterday with my GR III.

My ring is going nowhere. I feel 100% confident I won’t lose my ring.

Granted, it’s not ideal and we shouldn’t have to Duck tape a ring on a £800 camera. Bottom line is, it’s a poor design and we do have to. Other than that, I am loving this camera so much.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
05-03-2019, 01:25 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Also just lost the original ring for my 2 day old GR III - pretty frustrating!

Mr Bassie - could you post a link for the FB page you contacted them through please? TIA
05-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnbanno Quote
Also just lost the original ring for my 2 day old GR III - pretty frustrating!

Mr Bassie - could you post a link for the FB page you contacted them through please? TIA
Ricoh Imaging - Home | Facebook
05-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

Gaffer Tape to the rescue

Seems like all cameras have little problems which gaffer tape can fix. GRII and a think slice of gaff tape all around the ring works. If you do use the accessories just put a little on two sides and peel it back when you need to add your accessories.

I also have a Fuji x100F and the exposure compensation dial can easily be changes. Gaff tax works to hold it steady and can be peeled back and reapplied when needed.
07-10-2019, 04:08 AM   #14

Has anyone ever tried tightening the screw found on the ring as a means to preventing it from easily falling off?
07-10-2019, 11:03 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by 00rob0077 Quote
Has anyone ever tried tightening the screw found on the ring as a means to preventing it from easily falling off?
Yes.

The screw doesn't prevent it falling off. I’ve tried on my second and third ring.