Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Film lens/camera servicing tools

Hi all, hopefully this is the right forum.

I would like to start experimenting with basic servicing of my mechanical Pentax kit*, and I'm after some advice on a simple tool kit.

At the moment most of my kit consists of M42 (Spotty F, SV and Takumars) and early K (MX, LX and K/M series lenses).

What's the must-have tools (and other equipment) required to dismantle, clean, lube and reassemble a Super Tak 55mm for instance?

Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Nick

*Partly because I'm curious, and partly because local servicing costs are unviable...

04-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

interested to see.....I have a small screw driver kit and use a compass as a spanner wrench (really need a proper one but it works)…...I have fooled around with a few of my older lenses......some successful others not so much.....curious to see what appears would like to be able to do the same

do work on a towel laid out (do not lose as many tiny screws or more particularly the very small bearing/s on the aperture ring.....
use microfiber cloth, a head lamp and +3 reading glasses
04-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Camera Repair Tools ? Micro-Tools
04-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This ^ ^ ^

...though I don't know what their equivalent is down-under.

You will need both slot and JIS screwdrivers in various small to tiny sizes as well as camera-specific spanners and friction wrenches. Also useful are cotton applicator sticks, forceps, a supply of appropriate glues and cements as well as appropriate lubricants and solvents. A good multimeter and small tip soldering tools are also useful for electrical troubleshooting. Oh, and various desktop lamps and maybe a magnifier arm might come in handy.

Great fun, eh?

Steve

04-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm in Australia so postage might not be viable.

At this point I'm really after a list of tools, rather than a store
04-17-2019, 06:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simple Google search:

essential camera repair tools - Google Search
04-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suggestions: surf Amazon books looking for camera repair. Lots of choices, including Kindle based and used books (inexpensive) pop up. I have some of these oldies ... now where did I put them? The gist is that many of these how-to gems have tool lists in their appendices. You could also check your local library, college library etc, for possible available manuals. Also some manufacturers produced repair manuals; usually expensive; but are in used venues and online PDFs. Good luck.
04-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you may want to look at Amazon Australia for tools and other items

you may want to look at this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

04-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

You will need both slot and JIS screwdrivers in various small to tiny sizes
How small is necessary? There’s a JIS set available locally (Vessel brand) with slots from 0.9mm to 2.3mm and 00 and 0 screwdrivers.

---------- Post added 04-18-19 at 12:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you may want to look at Amazon Australia for tools and other items

you may want to look at this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for that, I wasn’t aware of the difference!
6 Days Ago   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Japan Hobby Tool has crosspoint screwdrivers etc. I have purchased things from them from Amazon.com in the US. The product does come from Japan.