Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rturbett Quote
It is unreasonable for anyone to expect Precision to stock every part for every camera they service. (and likely impossible) It is not unreasonable to expect Ricoh to stock and manage a supply of nearly every component for their products.

It is completely unacceptable to not get an answer on when that part is expected to be available. Just tell me the tracking number and i can watch it, or get an estimate from the supplier when it will be delivered. I cant believe Precision would hold off on ordering waiting for a bulk order- if so, for the savings of a few dollars in shipping, they are alienating their customers...

Very curious to see what New Leaf does.. stay tuned
It isn’t the shipping cost they would be trying to save. it’s preventing incremental build in parts inventory that they don’t want if they order a whole box of parts for one repair - done enough times for enough one-off repairs precision is holding parts inventory rather than Ricoh and they don’t want to tie up their money in parts on their shelves.

Assume there isn’t a tracking number to give you because they‘ve never ordered the part. Otherwise they should be willing to give you the tracking number.

05-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Ehhhh, close to true statements. Especially the last sentence. Probably why my M4/3 is growing and Pentax is dwindling. They should probably shut down USA all together and let us ship cameras back to Japan for service. What they have now isn't a smart business model.
Everyone knows better than Pentax. It's astounding they have any customers at all.
05-27-2019, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's astounding they have any customers at all.
In the grand scheme of things, they're not exactly rolling in them.
05-27-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
In the grand scheme of things, they're not exactly rolling in them.
That doesn't in anyway imply that they'd be doing any better listening to the advice of everyone on the forum who thinks they have a plan.

For example, the company determined that to have the exposure of 1.4 billion they could have the same exposure of Canon, Nikon and Sony. No one knows if spending that money would succeed in accomplishing enough sales to cover it. it could be an exercise in bankruptcy. It's easy to say Pentax should spend money on this that and the other. That doesn't mean it's true. It doesn't mean that it would in any way increase Pentax's sales.

The only thing that's certain is that more expenditures by the company would mean higher prices at least initially.

Lets ay Pentax increases the cost of each camera by $200 to create a solid network of repair centres. would that increase their revenue through higher prices and more satisfied customers, or decrease their revenue through lower sales? Same with marketing.

If through either method, they increase costs and reduce revenue they will go under. Apparently that's a chance some wish they would take, but, it's not their company, and they aren't risking their money when they make these suggestions, and they don't have the numbers Pentax execs have. What are the odds one of them is actually right?

People will always argue "I want more for my money" but that doesn't mean those things are realistic, or even possible.

Last edited by normhead; 05-27-2019 at 09:00 AM.
05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #20

As someone about to send my K1 in for a major repair (top shell and pentaprism replacement), I'm curious to which parts OP's camera is waiting on. I might just be better off getting a new copy as being without my camera for 5-6 weeks would be devastating.
05-27-2019, 11:11 AM   #21

Original Poster
nzondlo- if it is something Adams is able to repair, they are a pleasure to work with. My camera had a problem with the circuit board, which Ricoh only allows precision to work on.

Rob
05-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #22

nzondlo- if it is something Adams is able to repair, they are a pleasure to work with. My camera had a problem with the circuit board, which Ricoh only allows precision to work on.

Rob
I just dropped my K1 on its head and shattered the top components. Lol. Everything is fine except the shell and pentaprism. It even focuses just fine through the eyepiece, though I can't see what I'm doing.

05-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I just dropped my K1 on its head and shattered the top components. Lol. Everything is fine except the shell and pentaprism. It even focuses just fine through the eyepiece, though I can't see what I'm doing.
That is likely a job for Precision.
05-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #24

Original Poster
So here's a nice catch- newleaf says that as long as the parts show back-ordered, they maintain that the camera can be fixed. This means that this could go on forever without resolution. They could not give me an answer to how long they would let this go on till they considered it un-repairable. So far, we are at nearly 7 weeks in Precisions hands, with no sign of parts coming in.
Currently have very little faith in their repair or replace warranty.
06-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #25

So here's a nice catch- newleaf says that as long as the parts show back-ordered, they maintain that the camera can be fixed. This means that this could go on forever without resolution. They could not give me an answer to how long they would let this go on till they considered it un-repairable. So far, we are at nearly 7 weeks in Precisions hands, with no sign of parts coming in.
Currently have very little faith in their repair or replace warranty.
I'm curious as to which parts you're waiting on.
06-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #26

Original Poster
I was told by Adams that it is an electronics problem, so I am assuming the control board.
it was not anything mechanical, otherwise I believe Adams would have been able to get the parts
06-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #27

Original Poster
And so the Saga continues- Newleaf said yesterday:
"Good afternoon,
New Leaf has received further details that the parts needed to repair your camera have no date of availability. Without an idea of when repairs can be completed, New Leaf has leverage to look into other service options. A representative with New Leaf will contact you by phone tomorrow to discuss options available to resolve your claim."

It sounded great- I called, was promised a call back, and now they claim
"Your service provider has indicated the manufacturer has the parts and they are in transit to be delivered by the end of next week. We are awaiting the tracking number for confirmation. In the event the parts do not arrive as stated, New Leaf will seek other service options.
Thank you,
=Customer Care

I have reached my limit- this is what was told to me eight weeks ago, and on top of that, even if the parts do come in (no tracking provided) it will be another few weeks after that for the repair to occur, shipment back to adams, who then can ship it back to me.

I've asked them to make good on their intent that got my hopes up- otherwise, looking at another month of this customer dis-service hell.

Rob
06-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #28

Original Poster
It's official- Newleaf made it clear that they have no time requirements for getting the repair done- in fact, by their contract, this could go on for eternity.

The humorous point is that if they just got a camera in my hand, I wouldn't have all this free time to be sounding off on them.....

Almost wondering if they are hoping the warranty period runs out before the repair is made????? At this point, nothing would surprise me.
06-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Consider contacting your country county or state consumer affairs department. There might be a time limit that applies regardless of what the Newleaf contract says, or they might have other ways to apply leverage.

Good luck.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 06-18-2019 at 07:25 PM.
06-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is ridiculous it has taken this long, and who knows how much longer it will take. Then you have to worry about them fixing it properly.