Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel your pain. My K-S2 developed a display problem with the internal display. I sent it back to KEH under warranty end of March. It's now been over 3 months and KEH indicated they can't get a response from Ricoh/Pentax on an ETA. They are going to process a credit refund rather than let me sit in limbo on this. Very disappointing since I really loved the K-S2.

07-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rturbett Quote
The humorous point is that if they just got a camera in my hand, I wouldn't have all this free time to be sounding off on them.....
Your issue is with New Leaf. If they did not offer to replace, they are not going to replace.

It might be good to consider/remember that a pass-through by local repair shops to an authorized repair place is the norm in the camera repair industry for anything other than the mundane cleaning and such. It is unlikely that Adams ever intended to do your repair. Also the norm is the possibility of extended wait for some types of parts. For example, when a friend of mine needed shutter components for her Canon 7D, it took about 2 months using CRIS* in Arizona for Canon to fulfill the order and deliver.

That does not mean that the wait in your case is acceptable or the norm or should be the norm, only sometimes that is how it goes.

Steve

* Authorized Canon repair and former repair for Ricoh/Pentax and Hoya/Pentax.
07-15-2019, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #33

I feel the pain of this thread

Sun Camera (only warranty repair in Canada) is no better, possibly worse, my best warranty repair took 4 months, current one has been 8+ months "waiting on parts" - after the 5th call (month 3) I was given the one part number (apparently on back-order) that they were waiting on (Ricoh was able to provide shipping and receipt dates) yet the lens came back after 6 months with a different listed part replaced and was unusable (Even as a manual lens) even though the repair document said it was tested. Yes I tried several different bodies for those that were going to ask

I now call every two weeks and the number of parts the are waiting for goes from 1 to 3 depending on the week. I don't know how much is a Ricoh issue (except that they don't have anyone in Canada you can call) and how much is Sun Camera - interestingly a friend had a similar issue with another brand of lens and it was returned in 4 weeks, the same time quoted on the Sun Camera and Pentax sites for repairs. As I live a 10 hour drive from Sun Camera dropping in to check on progress won't help. Based on the turnaround time for my friends equipment it is easy to see why Nikon and Canon are preferred brands, 4 weeks I can rent a lens (or get by with others) after 6 months I had to buy a lens, which may or may not need a warranty repair at some point.

I have purchased a replacement lens as I have lost 8+ months of the 2 year warranty (In Canada) and have no confidence in the ability of Sun Camera to actually repair the lens.

I understand that there may be a delay in getting parts, however when I actually spoke with Ricoh and was given the shipping information on the parts I was told the lens was waiting on I was informed that they were only ordered a week earlier (end of Month 3), the parts arrived at Sun Camera 1 week later yet when I called Sun Camera two weeks later they told me they were still waiting on parts. When I gave them the shipping and tracking information they told me because I had an intermittent issue it was harder to repair (Autofocus failing at different focal lengths) and may need different parts so it might take longer. Now the lens will not move smoothly through any focal lengths (Physically grinding), focus automatically, or manually so I have no idea how hard that will be to repair.

Using the Contact Us form at Pentax Canada is a waste of effort as there is never a response. Calling Pentax in the USA they were able to locate the parts order (from Sun Camera - based on the part number) and provide shipping and tracking information - It took about 45 minutes on the phone, I think at 20 minutes they realized I was not hanging up without an answer.

For a $500USD ($800 CAD) lens (FA 28-105) which comes as a kit option through many retailers I am surprised that there are no parts available.

My Warranty expires in 3 months, maybe they are waiting till then to send the lens back broken again?

micheal
07-16-2019, 08:08 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by michealm Quote
I feel the pain of this thread

I don't know how much is a Ricoh issue (except that they don't have anyone in Canada you can call) and how much is Sun Camera
That we're seeing the same pattern in all the repair centers in North America and some abroad, is 100% a Ricoh issue. I fear the worst for this brand if they can't communicate properly or get parts out in a reasonable amount of time to their only official repair centers authorized to receive them. Maybe they can take some of that new profitability they've been bragging about fix this for the remaining existing customers that haven't jumped ship, or just sell off the camera business altogether.

07-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Still waiting on parts for my DFA 28-105 as well. Has been with with Precision for 1.5 months, and before that it was with Advance Camera who had trouble ordering parts from Ricoh.
07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's official- Newleaf made it clear that they have no time requirements for getting the repair done- in fact, by their contract, this could go on for eternity.

The humorous point is that if they just got a camera in my hand, I wouldn't have all this free time to be sounding off on them.....

Almost wondering if they are hoping the warranty period runs out before the repair is made????? At this point, nothing would surprise me.
How goes the process of getting satisfaction from New Leaf? Did parts ever come?

Steve
07-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I wonder what the cost is of flying a tiny part in a tiny box across the Pacific .... or even of putting it on a "slow boat".

On several occasions I have purchased a tiny part {such as a C-mount to Q-mount adapter} from a Chinese merchant. The cost is typically low {right now there are a couple for under $5}, and yet they often offer free shipping ..... in any case, the total cost is usually under $10 {even if they do take a month to get it to me},

07-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wonder what the cost is of flying a tiny part in a tiny box across the Pacific .... or even of putting it on a "slow boat".

On several occasions I have purchased a tiny part {such as a C-mount to Q-mount adapter} from a Chinese merchant. The cost is typically low {right now there are a couple for under $5}, and yet they often offer free shipping ..... in any case, the total cost is usually under $10 {even if they do take a month to get it to me},
It would probably be cheaper/faster to machine or 3D-print our own parts at this point, as long as it's not a motor, electronic, or glass.
07-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #39

Original Poster
90 days later, got the camera back.
There are significant flaws in the newleaf contract. Funny part I asked if they would extend the contract for the 3 months as it was not in my possesion. The reality- if you are a professional, never rely on just one camera. Fortunately this is only a hobby for me.
07-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yay! Thanks for closing the loop on this thread.

Steve
07-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #41
Pentaxian

There are significant flaws in the newleaf contract. Funny part I asked if they would extend the contract for the 3 months as it was not in my possesion. The reality- if you are a professional, never rely on just one camera. Fortunately this is only a hobby for me.
Good to hear you got it back.

To be honest - as an amateur I'd have trouble depending on just one camera .... I'd feel naked for three months if it took them that long to fix mine and I didn't have a fall-back plan.
08-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got the camera back! I had to take a refund on the KS-2 from KEH. I ended up getting a K-5 from a forum member at a good price and so it turned out well in the end.