Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Extending warranty on my K-1

I bought my K-1 about 22 months ago. The first 12 months it had the usual manufacturers warranty. Currently I have a one year extended warranty through my credit card. When this warranty expires I want to get some kind of extended warranty / insurance plan as I intend to keep my K-1 at least few years.
Few suggestions regarding such services will help a lot, particularly if anyone have used them to fix/ replace their camera.

05-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be very interested to read any responses you get. I've never heard of adding third-party warranty towards the end of a manufacturer's and initial extended warranty... Well, on motor vehicles, maybe - but not cameras...
05-27-2019, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll be very interested to read any responses you get. I've never heard of adding third-party warranty towards the end of a manufacturer's and initial extended warranty... Well, on motor vehicles, maybe - but not cameras...
Yeah, I think generally, the extended warranty has to be obtained within 90 days of purchase.
05-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #4

Have you had any issues with the camera thus far? If not, then maybe the best thing is to look after it well and hope for the best. The K1 is by most accounts very robust and reliable.

05-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Have you had any issues with the camera thus far? If not, then maybe the best thing is to look after it well and hope for the best. The K1 is by most accounts very robust and reliable.
None so far, but I like the comfort of not having to worry about if something goes wrong. I will investigate a bit and let you folks know if I find a service.
05-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe extended warranties actually mean something in other locales, but around here, they're pretty much a complete and utter waste of money.

The manufacturer's warranty covers any defects in parts and manufacture that might lead to failure within the warranty period. If the components of your K-1 last through the warranty period, they're probably good.

If the camera fails in the next year or two, then the extended warranty people are pretty certain it is due to wear and tear, impact, moisture, etc. etc. - not because it was originally defective. And this is why they never pay up and get your camera fixed free of charge. They can always point to some nick or scratch on the camera (and what two or three year old camera doesn't have one?) and say "impact damage - not covered".

In the last 20 years I've never heard any camera owner utter the words "I'm so glad I got the extended warranty". Never.
05-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

I recently got an extended 5 year cover for a new camera bought in the EU - it includes standard warranty coverage and mishap insurance, meaning that it covers any damage from accidents for 5 years. It doesn't cover theft.

05-29-2019, 02:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think what you need at this point is not a warranty but insurance. Most faults are likely to occur in the first year or two of use and after that if something happens, it is much more likely to be due to an accident -- dropping your camera, etc. Those sorts of things aren't typically covered by a warranty and so insurance is the way to go if you want to cover that sort of event. I think most homeowners policies will let you tack that on (if you aren't a professional shooter) for not too much.

As far as extended warranties -- square trade and Mack offer them, but they don't typically sell them after 90 days after purchase.