Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CLAing a non-Pentax M42 lens

Hi,

I have a Kitstar MC 135mm f2.8 M42 lens, with sluggish aperture blades. Eric won't work on non-Pentax lenses (I asked him about this one). Does anyone know who might be able to CLA this lens at a very reasonable rate?

Thanks

06-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Advance Camera in Portland, OR have worked on several of my lenses, both Pentax and non-Pentax...

they've always done exceptional work for me...
06-13-2019, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks...I'll look into that.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Advance Camera in Portland, OR have worked on several of my lenses, both Pentax and non-Pentax...

they've always done exceptional work for me...
06-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Hi,

I have a Kitstar MC 135mm f2.8 M42 lens, with sluggish aperture blades. Eric won't work on non-Pentax lenses (I asked him about this one). Does anyone know who might be able to CLA this lens at a very reasonable rate?

Thanks
Just an FYI, Kitstar lenses were the house brand of Kit’s Cameras, a retail chain that went defunct sometime in the 1980s.
I would be surprised if this particular lens is worth the price of servicing.

06-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I got a quote of about $100...and, it just ain't worth it....esp as it still works....just a sluggish aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just an FYI, Kitstar lenses were the house brand of Kit’s Cameras, a retail chain that went defunct sometime in the 1980s.
I would be surprised if this particular lens is worth the price of servicing.
06-14-2019, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Heck, my plumber charges $130 per hour. I expect this CLA job would take longer than one hour. People need to make a living you know.

If you're not willing to pay a reasonable price, I suggest you review some YouTube videos on how to do CLA jobs and give it a try yourself.
08-13-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Heck, my plumber charges $130 per hour. I expect this CLA job would take longer than one hour. People need to make a living you know.

If you're not willing to pay a reasonable price, I suggest you review some YouTube videos on how to do CLA jobs and give it a try yourself.
EXACTLY, WE LIVE A LAND OF e bay menality

08-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

Hopefully your house is worth more than the 25 dollars that a Kitstar 135/2.8 is worth.

A number of yeas ago I was called in to quote on a heavily damaged house. The repair quotes (I was one of four companies that were asked to submit) were well above what the structure was actually worth.
It ended up being a tear down.

Things need to be kept in perspective.
08-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hopefully your house is worth more than the 25 dollars that a Kitstar 135/2.8 is worth.

A number of yeas ago I was called in to quote on a heavily damaged house. The repair quotes (I was one of four companies that were asked to submit) were well above what the structure was actually worth.
It ended up being a tear down.

Things need to be kept in perspective.
The same thing happened to a relative of mine after severe tornado damage. Tear down and rebuild was cheaper than repair. Strange that that was the case but I suspect it is more common than I thought.
08-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The same thing happened to a relative of mine after severe tornado damage. Tear down and rebuild was cheaper than repair. Strange that that was the case but I suspect it is more common than I thought.
Sometimes the structure is too far gone to repair. The one I was quoting on was an old lath & plaster finished house that still had knob & tube wiring, lead pipes and a fair amount of asbestos. The roof had been leaking for years and there were significant mold issues. Also one wall of the basement had collapsed entirely (it wasn't a supporting wall or else the building would have fallen, and one of the supporting walls was not far behind).
There was so much remedial work required that it was cheaper and safer to bring a backhoe and some dump trucks in, knock it down, haul it away and start again than it was to put the amount of labour required into fixing it. If the building had been in better shape, it could have been lifted and a new basement put under it, but the building was too far gone.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 08-14-2019 at 09:34 AM.