Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

KP + DA* 16-50 lens create severe camera lag

I bought a KP to replace my K-30 with the solenoid issue a couple months ago. Everything had been working just fine until last week when i was on vacation. I had been using my DA* 16-50 lens and i started to hear what sounded like mechanical noises from the camera and lens combo. after a couple hours I developed severe lag where hitting a button on the back on the KP did not work 66% of the time and when it does work it takes several seconds to load a sub menu like changing the ISO. If i change to another lens my KP works fine. If I put the DA* 16-50 on my K-30 it works (except the solenoid issue now and then). i called tech support and they suggested to upgrade my firmware to 1.1 which i did and still no difference. Anyone hear of this before? i have had to repair the SDM on this lens once already but if it was failing wouldn't i notice problems on my K-30 as well?

I will call tech support again this week but when i called last week the phone routed me to printer support instead of cameras. I am in the US.

06-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi soaptrail, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

I haven’t heard of this behaviour, before, but it doesn’t mean others haven’t.

You say that you’ve tried other lenses on the KP, but were any of them SDM lenses? If they were the older screw-drive lenses, then it sounds like a camera body problem (possibly the SDM power supply contacts?). If not, I can’t help any further.
06-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hi soaptrail, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

I haven’t heard of this behaviour, before, but it doesn’t mean others haven’t.

You say that you’ve tried other lenses on the KP, but were any of them SDM lenses? If they were the older screw-drive lenses, then it sounds like a camera body problem (possibly the SDM power supply contacts?). If not, I can’t help any further.
I only have the one SDM drive lens. That would probably confirm if the lens or the camera is the issue if i had a second SDM lens. It is weird because despite the lag, i can still use the camera albeit it is painful and the focus was having issues when i heard the noises right before the lag started.

I bet it is the lens now that you ask.
06-17-2019, 05:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had no problems with the two SDM lenses I have (DA* 16-50 and 50-135) on my KP. Maybe cleaning the lens contacts will help. Or maybe consider converting the lens to screw drive.

06-17-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soaptrail Quote
I bought a KP to replace my K-30 with the solenoid issue a couple months ago. Everything had been working just fine until last week when i was on vacation. I had been using my DA* 16-50 lens and i started to hear what sounded like mechanical noises from the camera and lens combo. after a couple hours I developed severe lag where hitting a button on the back on the KP did not work 66% of the time and when it does work it takes several seconds to load a sub menu like changing the ISO. If i change to another lens my KP works fine. If I put the DA* 16-50 on my K-30 it works (except the solenoid issue now and then). i called tech support and they suggested to upgrade my firmware to 1.1 which i did and still no difference. Anyone hear of this before? i have had to repair the SDM on this lens once already but if it was failing wouldn't i notice problems on my K-30 as well?

I will call tech support again this week but when i called last week the phone routed me to printer support instead of cameras. I am in the US.
Make sure that in-body correction for purple fringing, is not activated. Presse "Info" and have a look.

This can slow the camera quite a lot.
06-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've had no problems with the two SDM lenses I have (DA* 16-50 and 50-135) on my KP. Maybe cleaning the lens contacts will help. Or maybe consider converting the lens to screw drive.
i used a cloth on the contacts, is that the correct way to clean them?
06-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Make sure that in-body correction for purple fringing, is not activated. Presse "Info" and have a look.

This can slow the camera quite a lot.
i checked and only the two noise reductions, the shadow correction and shake reduction are enabled. I tried switching to the electronic shutter but no luck there either. Probably something broke in the lens or camera based on the bad sound i initially heard.

06-18-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soaptrail Quote
i used a cloth on the contacts, is that the correct way to clean them?
That's what I'd do, maybe with a little alcohol or even lens cleaning fluid. It seems like something happened within the lens though.