Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA* 85 1.4 no focus

(Xpost from SLR discussion)

I just received an FA* 85 /1.4 from another PF user. It will not focus either manually or auto. I understand the clutch mechanism but when set to manual the focus ring moves but nothing happens, the distance numbers in the window do not move. When the clutch is set to autofocus the lens whirs loudly but does not focus. The whiring is probably the camera screw drive rather than the lens. It appears that the focus mechanism on the lens is not engaging. I have seen the other thread about a broken gear sometimes being the issue. dcShooter is no longer here so I cannot ask him so I wonder if anyone has an line on repair or, better, a suggest for something else I can do to get it going. I have tried it on both the K-1ii and Kp with the same result. The clutch seems to work since the focus ring is locked when set to Auto Focus.

The seller has agreed to take it back and that is probably what I will do but I hate returning things so I am looking for a fix. It is a long shot, I know. The lens is cosmetically lovely both body and glass.

06-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Somethings come loose in the focus mechanism. It's repair time, more than likely.
The FA* 85/1.4 is a nice lens, but with the D FA* 85/1.4 just around the corner, I think I'd be holding out for that one.
06-17-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It is almost certainly the broken gear issue, which is a moderately common issue with this lens. Sometimes the gear isn't too damaged and the lens can autofocus with a strange sound. Sometimes it's too damaged and the lens won't focus at all.

There's lots of info here including HarisF1's excellent album guide. FA*85 1.4 Auto Focus Sound on K-1: Is this normal? - PentaxForums.com