Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Pentax MX Base Plate Screws

Hello! Does anyone know the size of the JIS screws on the base plate of the MX. I'm missing just one screw, and am trying to source the correct screw. Thank you!

06-22-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #2

According to the service manual (just do a search on Pentax MX service manual) the bottom screws are nickel plated stainless steel 1.7 2.2 mm screws. You'll have to look at the opening but most likely they are flat head (counter sunk).

You're not going to find JIS screws outside of Japan and I've yet find a website that sells them. The best you're going to do is Phillips head or slotted.

You're also going to be hard pressed finding 2.2mm long screws. You can always buy longer and file them down. Just don't go shorter than 2.2mm.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-22-2019 at 09:17 PM.
06-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Dang, sounds like a ball breaker. Thanks for the info!
06-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

can you remove one of the other screws and post a couple of photos so I can see the head on it. May be able to find something close....as small ones like these may be close to what is used to repair eyeglasses. Just a guess.

06-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

This company has m1.7 3mm flat head screws, and pan heads at 2.5mm. A screw longer than 2.2mm might hit or block something inside the camera or nothing at all. They sell by the piece:

M1.7x3 to M1.7x3.5 : Metric Screws!, We have the screws you need!

This company in Southern California has JCIS (I'm guessing the same as JIS) in 2.2mm pan head and 2.5mm flat head. They are a wholesaler only with a minimum order of $50. You could call a sales rep and sweet talk them into sending you some samples.

Machine Screws, M1.7 | The FCH Sourcing Network

You could always replace both screws so they match if that's what concerns you.